“Very Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benowa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed February 23, 2011

My partner & I stayed here to celebrate our 4 year anniversary & were VERY disappointed!! First we were given the wrong room, we booked the Corner Spa Suite with Balcony (as stated on the website). When we called to see what had went wrong we were debated with & told we booked it incorrectly. Finally after waiting for ages for them to work it out we got to speak to the Manager & they moved us. Disappointed with the balcony, expected one we could relax on and have some drinks but it was just one you could stand on, no room at all. After having a spa went to watch some tele with dinner & the TV was broken, had to get a repair man up to fix it - another thing that shouldnt happen on your romantic get away. Ordered room service for breakfast & they stuffed our order up and the lady was extremly rude to us!! I was in tears by this point, just thinking what else could go wrong, we couldnt wait to leave. She only gave up one order of breakfast & continued to tell us that we had got it wrong, till my partner showed her the form we filled out - after that she was very nice because she realised that she actually was wrong in the 1st place. I got to eat my breakfast on my own until they sent the 2nd one up for my partner. Was glad to get out of there, was not a enjoyable stay at all. So disappointed & will not be back!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Poe808

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bunbury
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Our family of four stayed at this hotel from the end of December till 4 th January 2011. The room was plenty big enough to accomodate the four of us. The beds were comfy and it was very clean. Some renovation will be eventually be needed to update the bathroom but it was perfectly adequate and I tend to be pretty fussy about bathrroms. We were visiting the Gold Coast to visit the "world"s" so we were in close proximity to what we wanted to do. I am glad we had a hire car so we could pick and choose where and when we wanted to go anywhere, We did not have much interest in Surfer's Paradise at that time of year and we only went into Surfer's once or twice. The service at the hotel was without fault. The staff were friendly. The food was excellent value for money. The pool was big and there were plenty of places to relax around the pool. The kid's playground was great. My husband and son aged 12 played golf one afternoon and the kid's golf was free including hire of the clubs and the buggy. My son had a memorable afternoon on the beautifully manicured golf course and it wasn't over the top expensive. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Stacey045
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We had to spend a few days at the GC over Christmas for family reasons. I did not particularly want to stay around the busy Surfers/Broadbeach tourist trap areas and was looking for something a little different but still not too far away from family on the coast. We also wanted something reasonably priced. RACV appeared to fit the bill on both counts and so we booked it through a hotel booking site.

The first thing you have to know is that, while it is only a 5 minute drive from the beaches and a 10 to 15 minute drive from the hinterland areas (and also close to the theme parks, if that's your bag), and it is relatively close to the train station, this resort is NOT located in the centre of the GC action and public transport options are limited. You will need a car. Luckily, there is heaps of free parking.

The rooms were pleasant and appeared to be recently refurbished (I found the bed a tad too soft and was a little perturbed by TV noise from next door, but that is pretty par for the course in most hotels these days and neither of those were major problems). The resorts has a lovely golf course, swimming pool, tennis courts, and several restaurants (we only tried the breakfast one, but I must say the Japanese one looked very good). The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Like 99% of Australian hotels, internet is not complimentary and the rates are unreasonably high.

Overall, however, we enjoyed our stay and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed October 30, 2010

The resort is having some grounds revamped and was extremely busy with conferences when we were there. Most of the time the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly so it was disappointing that one staff member was unhelpful in the extreme. Howver, overall a great experience, nicely decorated, well-maintained property. Teppanyaki restaurant is a treat. You should consider hiring a car if you intend going to the beaches.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We stayed at the Royal Pines Resort from Saturday to Monday to attend a conference.
My partner stayed with me one of the nights so I was able to try out the bar and restaurants along with the business facilities.
The service at reception through to the restaurants/bars was all very good and quite quick. We decided to try the Seafood Buffet one night and were quite disappointed. The fresh prawns were quite disappointing and the only hot seafood were prawn skewers which had very small prawns and not much taste. I like hot seafood so didn't get to take advantage of this much and only had a few prawns. I think we would have preferred the Japanese restaurant option considering the price we were paying. The desserts were also very tiny and were also served at our conference so must be made in bulk and were at times quite mundane.
The hydrate bar for cocktails was very nice and relaxing although the view is disappointing due to construction going on outside so the main view is of dirt at the moment.
The rooms are quite nice in the living area. It seems as though they've been renovated recently although the bathrooms are still very old and dated which is a bit disappointing.
The conference was run well although the lighting always seemed to be neon blue and the chairs are very old and quite daggy. The food buffets were good and the staff seemed very well trained so can't fault it much.
The pool is nice and never seemed to be very busy. The supply towels for you which is nice and the deck area is good for relaxing.
The Resort is quite large so there is also a running track along with the gym so it was nice to be able to have an early morning jog then go for a dip.
Overall, very good stay with the only let down being the seafood buffet and the dated furniture & bathrooms.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We recently spent a night at the Royal Pines due to a wedding that we were atttending at the hotel. The room that we had was a Coast View and had a lovely view of the Gold Goast high rises, that would have been better if it was not constantly raining! The room was very comfortable with two double beds, a big screen TV, a small chair and desk and chair. The bathroom was funtionable with the shower and bath combined. It was great for a one night stay, but I don't think I would like to stay anymore than a couple of nights, especially with kids.

The wedding was held in the chapel, which was beautiful with drinks in Hydrate bar before dinner in the Conference Room.

The restaurant was good for breakfast in the morning, buffet style. We didn't get to see much of the resort as it was constantly raining and we only had one night there.

If I was staying for any lenght of time, I would stay somewhere in Surfers that had bigger rooms and was closer to the beach.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Beerwalk
Reviewed September 29, 2010

My husband and I won a one night stay to this resort and paid for the second night. From the moment we pulled up we had valet parking and bellhops to help us with our luggage. I actually felt like a bit of a hill-billy in my mini dress and bikinis! Marble floors and granite reception desk with very helpful and polite staff. The room was beautiful and we got a very high room overlooking the greens. It was such a luxury to simply ride the elevator to enjoy a buffet breakfast, Asian cuisine for dinner or the rooftop restaurant. Everything we ate and bought was simply purchased through our room card - no handbag necessary! The only issue I had was that the room was hotel style so came with mini-bar and unfortunately did not have plates or knives as I brought a cheese platter to enjoy with my wine. But I made to with a spoon! Other than that, the recent renovations are fabulous, massive television, and the entire experience was just indulgent! Next time I am booking the spa suite for even for luxury!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheThornies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benowa
QT Gold Coast
Novotel Surfers Paradise
Novotel Surfers Paradise
#14 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Mercure Gold Coast Resort

Been to RACV Royal Pines Resort? Share your experiences!