“Lovely Resort, lots of amenties, service was poor”

RACV Royal Pines Resort Gold Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benowa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Melbourne
“Lovely Resort, lots of amenties, service was poor”
Reviewed January 19, 2010

We stayed here for one night which was enough for us, the resort itself is lovely, the room was lovely, the pool was great, we arrived early after driving for 11 hours in car to be told room was not ready which yes was our fault but we were not offerred anywhere to put bags or advised we could have a swim or anything like that customer service was terrible, service at the cafe near the pool was poor, we walked up to counter and no-one would serve us they just kept talking between themselves we just wanted coffee and cake and they said they didnt have cake, they failed to mention that inside hotel was a place you can have coffee and cake, we never felt welcomed from the moment we walked up to reception, the only good to come out of it was the Valet parking guys who opened my door and said good morning. Definately wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank l p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
melbourne
Reviewed January 10, 2010

It was a last minute decision (i.e. 3 weeks before the actual stay) to go to the Gold Coast for some rest and recreation before returning to work. Had to please everyone, golf for the husband, pool and the beach for the child. For me, just the opportunity to chill out and not cook or clean for a week.

After a thorough research (travel research is what I do for enjoyment), I chose RACV Royal Pines Resort. Although the beach is not walking distance, it has the advantage of being far from the noise and chaos of Surfer's Paradise. We were there after all to relax.

The standard mountain view room that we were given on the 11th floor overlooked both the mountains and parts of the golf course (and the convention facility roof). It was spacious, the 2 double beds were adequate, and housekeeping was great in keeping it clean every day.

Husband enjoyed the golf course and the driving range which had discounts because of our RACV membership. The outdoor pool was great. I enjoyed the new gym on the fourth floor which used to be an activity room.

There were coin laundry facilities so we didn't have to pack a lot of clothes.

We arrived late and were famished so we ordered in, but on some nights, we tried the on- site restaurants such as Arakawa for their teppanyaki (early bird, $20-35) which was value for money, and the Kalinda restaurant's seafood buffet (good selection, also had kid-friendly options) which was free for the child.

Our hotel booking also had free buffet breakfast on some days which we also enjoyed.

For breakfast and lunch, I suggest you go to Teeside, their restaurant at the clubhouse, it is a shame though that they are closed for dinner because they have great salads as well as rice meals.

Didn't avail of the Angsana spa because of our budget.
We hired a car and went to White Water World in Coomera for one day, on other days went to Kurrawa beach, which was about a 15 minute drive from Ashmore.
Also availed of their free (for RACV,RACQ, etc) bus shuttle that goes to Pacific Fair, Jupiter's Casino (both at Broadbeach) and Q1 (at Surfer's Paradise), which is a good option for travellers without a rental car.

Overall, we had a lovely time. We have been to other RACV properties, Cape Schank and Inverloch, but the RACV Royal Pines Resort was the best.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MRYMelbourne
Brisbane
Reviewed December 20, 2009

Came here to celebrate my bday with my husband. Didn't know much about the place apart from the golf course. Got agreat deal with our RACQ membership. From the moment we arrived I was impressed.

Service was excellent, our room was lovely, modern decor, on the 8th floor and had a view to the gold coast. Pool area was lovely, great for kids.

Had dinner at RPR's on the 23rd floor. They had a great deal for $49.50 for 3 course meal. The food was fantastic and the service was good too. The view is spectcaular at night. The only downside was the decor was a bit dated but that's about all.

Had a lovely buffet breakfast the next morning.

Overall I thought this was great value for money and will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank renaes27
queensland
Reviewed November 30, 2009

We booked this holiday in order to spend some time with extended family ie my sister, brother in law and my mother.

We booked spa rooms, my sister had a room with wonderful views of the gold coast skyline and our spa room had a view of the Golf course. We booked an adjoining room for the kids and my mother for only $100 well worth it.

The rooms are modern, well appointed and very comfortable. The only criticism I had is that the curtains in the spa room I stayed in did not have full length blackout blinds and this meant that I woke every day at 5am with the morning sun.

With regard to children, the hotel has a kids club but it only opens during the school holidays. The pools are very kid friendly and towels are provided. The food for kids was very good value and the staff were accommodating for special requests for kids ie the side salads were too 'adultish' with spanish onion etc so when I requested cherry tomatoes and cucumbers this wasn't a problem for staff. If you are happy to sleep in the same room as the kids, don't bother with the spa room as the bath is difficult to get little ones in and out of so I would go with a regular room as it has a regular bath.

There is a children's play area and they are in the process of building a pizzeria overlooking it which will be a welcome addition for parents wanting the kids to have a play while they enjoy their meal in peace.

Restaurants
The restaurant on level 22 is fantastic with a three course meal for only $50 of an excellent standard. I wish I could say the same for the Kalinda restaurant overlooking the pool, they should have more staff and the food takes ages.

The room service food is of high quality and if you want the best value for breakfast I would go to Tees Clubhouse for an a la carte breakfast as $25 for buffet breakfast at Kalinda's really isn't worth it unless you eat alot!

We had the place virtually to ourselves as the resort mainly caters for conferences, so the pool was never all that busy and we didn't have a problem getting a deckchair in the shade which is often a problem at other resorts.

Do remember that it is a drive away from the gold coast, so if you want to get out and about, hiring a car is a good option.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank afar
Noosa
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We stayed here as part of a motoring holiday up the coast as we were RACV members and expected a middle of the road travel lodge experience - but WOW! We were greeted by valet parking, concierge service and 5 star service all the way. The Resort is impressive and has a "Hyatt -style" ambience, however we by no means felt uncomfortable with small children as they had a kids club, kids eat free program, playground and waterslide at the pool. Although not in the centre of Surfers, this was infact preferable as it was well located to Theme parks, Main Beach and the main drag - alll within a 10 min drive. Meals are very reasonable, poolside dining excellent and the seafood buffet excellent value and choice. We enjoyed our stay so much we returned again in July and got a great deal through wotif - tried to book direct with the resort but was told they could not match the deal we had for $300 inc champagne, dinner for 2 and breakfast for 2 and with 2 kids eat free it was fantastic value. We are planning another trip in Dec with friends with kids and can't think of a better base for a weekend away at the Gold Coast!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank susieQNoosa
Perth W.A
Reviewed May 14, 2009

Dishwasher Leaked and Flooded the Whole Place we had to have industrial Fans going 24/7 We had to clean it up because staff didn’t do it We were offered another room (that slept 2 people but were told we could also get an adjoining room for our children) but neither room had a kitchenette not even a microwave or Bar Fridge we had 4 children we were there for a total of 13 nights and this happened on night 2 imagine the cost of feeding the children takeaway or hotel food and there were no close shops within walking distance. Restaurant Prices were very expensive I will let you judge by the Photo. I Provided My own Cleaning stuff because we were there for so long but the cleaners kept taking it...even after letting staff know (3 times it happened) Facial hair was left from the previous guest in the bathroom ...after I moved the tissue box away from the hair so the cleaner would see all they did was put a new box of tissues on the hair, we then had 2 boxes in the bathroom. My childrens beds didn’t get made. We got inundated with Mozzies because we had to leave the balcony door open to try and dry out the carpet. The washing machine didn’t work. The cleaners took our knife and forks away so my son had to wait till someone finished eating before he could eat. When we checked out the manager asked me if I was pregnant (Im not. I am a size 12 Australian) I started crying and very upset. And we hardly got a discount for all the trouble we had. I would NEVER recommend this Hotel
To Top it all off I'm still getting emails from them which is VERY upsetting

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Perth_Family_of_6
Australia
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I booked a gourmet getaway to celebrate my husbands birthday last weekend and had the most wonderful time! The staff were professional, the room looked exactly like the picture on the website and the food was fantastic. I have been to many 5 star hotels on the gold coast and brisbane and this is by far the best.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank austraveldr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benowa
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Novotel Surfers Paradise
Novotel Surfers Paradise
#14 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Mercure Gold Coast Resort

Been to RACV Royal Pines Resort Gold Coast? Share your experiences!