“Great pub with friendly welcome!”
Review of True Lovers Knot

True Lovers Knot
Battle
“Great pub with friendly welcome!”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have stayed at the True Lvers Knot on 3 occasions now and all of our stays have been great. Twice we have stayed when the Great Dorset Steam Fair has been on and the pub is an ideal location if you want somewhere close, comfortable and clean to stay.
Our most recent stay was last weekend for a short break as we love the Dorset countryside. As we always we were given a lovely warm welcome from Chris and Chloe the owners, and all the staff are friendly and chatty. We had 2 great meals in the pub while we were there, and the breakfasts were great too. On the last night we were there we had a great night in the bar chatting to all the locals who couldn't be more friendly to us, and treated us like we locals.
There's a great camp site too where our friends stay when the fair is on, and we all wouldn't stay anywhere else now we've found this little gem!
I would honestly reccomend this pub to anyone looking for a lovely place to stay or eat. It would suit family's and couples, as they cater for all. Great all round :o)

Room Tip: Room Amour has a lovely four poster!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lynton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights to attend the Steam Fayre, but were a bit miffed to be charged £80 per night and when we queried this with owner we were bluntly told that's what they were charging for that particular, it would have been handy if they had that info on their website, when we asked if the £80 included brekky we were surlt informed no that's an extra £7.95 each, the owner made us feel so unwelcome and uncomfortable that it was very unejoyable have a drink and meal with her wandering around.
The rooms were far from the advertises luxury, just your basic average pub room, no biscuits on the tea tray .
Could not sleep very sell with the constant whirring of the kitchen exhaust and the smell of cooking oil, plus the refrigeration unit roared into action every hour all through the night.
The only good comment I have on this place is the bar staff were lovely, management could learn a lot from them.
I have never in my life been made feel so unwelcome at a paying establishment and would not return.

Room Tip: There is no fitness centre or pool my machine won,t let me delete my score.
3 Thank 62bethany
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed for two nights camping during the Dorset Steam fair. I found the pub by googling camping spots nearby to the fair, and this was by far the closest, a short 10 min drive away.

The site was easy to find how to book and wether or not there was any availability, unfortunately for us there wasn't any that I could find on their website so I rang up any way to see if there had been any cancellations. Luckily enough they had an extra field available because of the busy weekend. So I took full advantage and booked.

Pub was easy enough to find, and the staff were more than helpful in booking us in and showing us the facilities. We couldn't of asked for any better.

Camping grounds were clean and pretty flat, with lots of parking. Electric hookups are available but we didnt need to use them.

Only suggestion I would have would be to possibly have another toilet and shower block, there's currently only one toilet and one room to shower but both were clean.

Staff in the pub were friendly and welcoming and the camping grounds and facilities were clean, you couldn't ask for much more for £30 for two nights camping in the Dorset countryside :)

• Stayed August 2013
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We arrived mid afternoon and were immediately asked to settle the bill, before we had even been shown to our room!! We refused and the waitress/barmaid seemed a bit taken aback. She asked why we didn't want to settle the bill immediately, and I said that I would prefer to see the room first, and that I had never been asked to pay the bill on arrival. She then asked if we would require breakfast. We said we had booked the room on a B & B basis, so, yes we would. However, she then disclosed that breakfast is not served until 8.30. This was too late for us as we wanted to be out by then. We asked if it was possible to have breakfast at 8.00 and she said "probably not". We asked if our room rate could be adjusted if we were not getting any food, but after checking with the manager on an internal phone, she said that because we had booked at the B & B rate, it could not be changed. We then asked to see the manager, who refused to come to see us. By now we were beginning to regret making the booking, especially as we had been asked to pay 50% up front. We were shown to our room. It was clean enough and the bed was comfy, but the furniture was out of the ark, making the room seem very gloomy and unappealing. Definitely no frills. There were tea and coffee making facilities, but no biscuits. Cheap toiletries in the bathroom finished off the "no expense spent" impression. Because of the welcome we had received and the refusal of the manager to address our problem with breakfast, we resolved not to have any food or drinks in the bar. This probably cost them over £200. We managed to find a gorgeous place about 10 minutes drive away - The Langton Arms. We went down for breakfast (as we had paid for it anyway) the next morning to be met by a young man in jeans and T shirt. No "good morning" was forthcoming, just "Do you want tea or coffee?" He then asked what we wanted for breakfast. As there were no menus on the tables, I asked what there was and he said "Well, the usual - eggs, bacon etc") I said I would just have cereal and toast, while my husband had bacon and egg, which he said was OK. There was no choice of juice - only orange. Chips on the floor from the previous evening and no sugar on the table. The following morning, there were 2 other guests in the dining room. As they were both eating cereal, there wasn’t enough for me because the cereal was in such small containers. I had to mix 2 sorts together. I could go on as the list of faults is endless. They need some training in hospitality. We will never go back to such a place.

5 Thank Michelle A
chloe h, General Manager at True Lovers Knot, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. I would like to respond as follows: It is our policy to take a minimum of a 50% deposit payment at the time of booking with the balance being settled on arrival. Our staff are trained to ask for the balance when a customer arrives and to ask if they will be wanting breakfast. It is not a problem if you would rather settle at a later point but I can only apologise if the member of staff who served you did not give this impression. I was on the telephone when she called on the internal line to ask about your breakfast being served earlier which is the reason I was not able to come and speak with you at the time. I did ask the barmaid to say to you that I would speak to you when you returned later that day to explain our reasons for the b&b rate of that particular week being priced the way it was being the steam fair week. It certainly was not a case of 'refusing' to come and speak with you at the time. Again I can only apologise if the situation was not handled very well at this time, but we always try to resolve any issues at the time and to make all our customers happy and I am only sorry if you feel this was not the case. If you were not aware before you arrived that breakfast is served between 8.30am and 9.30am then I can only apologise. It is stated clearly on our website and the information would have been given to you at the time of booking if you called on the phone. When you had breakfast in the morning you said nothing of your complaint about the breakfast time and as we had a good conversation about the short distance to the steam fair I took it that you were now okay with the breakfast service times.

With regard to our bedroom furniture being 'out of the ark'; all our rooms were built six years ago and the furniture was new at this time. It is made to look antique. We get very few negative comments about our rooms, so I can only apologise if you feel the rooms were not nice. Most comments we get are the rooms are "lovely" and "very nice". We use good quality toiletries and linen, we have mineral water and tea/coffee making facilities available. Yes we don't offer biscuits but we charge £65 per room and I feel the rooms are of a very good standard for this price.

We have never had breakfast menus as we are only a small b&b and have never felt it necessary to provide a set menu for breakfast. We are able to cook whatever you want, within reason!, so feel this way offers more flexibility for our customers. This complaint has never been brought to our attention before. With regard to one of the cereals running out it is a shame you did not bring this to my attention at the time as I would have been able to re-fill the container for you. We do only serve orange juice but following your comment will now look to offering more than one juice at breakfast. Having no sugar on the table is an oversight and I can only apologise. We do lay breakfast tables with sugar but unfortunately mistakes do happen and I was able to provide sugar as soon as it was asked for.

Thank you again for your comments. We do appreciate all feedback, Your comments have been discussed with the necessary staff and have been used to further their training and standard of service. We strive at all times to give the best possible customer service and can only apologise if at times this does not happen.

Travelers are raving about these Tarrant Keyneston hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in mid August 2013 at The True Lovers Knot with my husband and young puppy. We were allowed to take our dog into the restaurant during breakfast and evening dinner time. Breakfast was served quickly and was well cooked. They even provided green tea for my husband. There was a good selection of meals on the evening dinner menu and a specials board. The meals were well presented and, unless you have a huge appetitie, I would suggest you order a small portion. The fish (and chips) we had was enormous. We could only eat half of the 12 inches of fish. We slept in the four poster bedroom which was lovely. There is some amazing wooden furntiure in that room and a lovley bathroom. There are loads of sepia photographs on the walls throughout the inn showing the local houses and area.. The staff were helpful and the owners were extremely friendly and mixed with the locals who frequented the hostelry ( a sure sign that the inn is good if the locals use it!!!). The inn is a good base if you are visiting the area to sightsee. Three bikers arrived at the inn while we were signing in and they were given a free coffee and there is a special bikers evening on Thursdays. The only drawback for us was that it is a very small village which consists of the inn and some beautiful thatched houses based around a small crossroad. But overall, well worth a visit.

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend of camping with the in laws. There seemed to be a distinct lack of organisation, too few electric points for the number of pitches, and no one really coordinating anything. The one shower and one toilet inadequate for the amount of pitches, not to mention that they couldn't be locked and not very clean at all!!!

One good note was that the food was quite good.

• Stayed August 2013
Saffron Walden
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed in the four poster bedroom for one night. Comfortable bed, good facilities - tea/ coffee etc. large bathroom. Only down side was the shower which lacked much power. Had wifi but a little slow at times. Didn't eat breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
#1 of 2 in Iwerne Minster
Kelston Guest House
Kelston Guest House
#2 of 165 in Weymouth

Been to True Lovers Knot? Share your experiences!