“A great night !”

The Langton Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarrant Monkton
“A great night !”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We booked for my friends birthday , the menu choice was varied,It was a hard choice,but I went for the green Thai chicken well presented and very yummy... Great real ale and the staff could not do enough for us..a great place to go !! Overall a fab birthday night out .

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Jane C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I've stayed here a number of times over the past 5 years and really do look forward to comming back. The setting is perfect, the food is great (fresh and innovative), rooms excellent and the service is impeccable. Adding all of this together you can understand why so many people return again and again. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Tim B
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Langton Arms is somewhat off the beaten track, but is definitely worth the detour. My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights whilst touring Dorset and it certainly didn't disappoint. Rooms were comfortable and spacious, breakfast was excellent, evening meals (both bar and resturant) were really high quality and all the staff friendly and efficient.

With so many good country pubs in the area I'm really glad we chose this one and will look for an excuse to return before too long!

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms included spacious bedroom, bathroom and vestibule and use of outdoor furniture.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ianp966
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed last saturday night as we were in the area for a party being held by a family friend.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the room was perfectly OK for the price, with decent tea and coffee making facilities and good supply of coffee sachets (unlike a lot of places). The TV worked fine and so did the heating (it was a tad cold when we arrived). Bathroom was a decent size and everything worked.

The full English cooked breakfast in the morning was excellent.

The rooms are arranged around a terrace with plenty of tables and chairs, which ideal for those of us who still smoke, as I could step out of my room and straight onto the terrace whenever I felt like a cigarette.

There was a wedding going on that day, and at one point I went out for a cigarette and the terrace was packed with people dressed to the nines drinking and chatting. Since I didn't want to intrude, I went to the garden at the side, and when I came back a minute or two later, they had all disappeared and the terrace had been completely cleared, which was slightly surreal.

When we got back from our party at around 11:00, the disco was in full swing, but once we got inside our room, we couldn't hear it at all.

Downsides:
The Wi-Fi did not work in the room or on the terrace which was a shame as mobile reception is also a bit patchy there.

There was a slightly funny smell in the bathroom, not outright unpleasant, but just a bit odd.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark L
Burgess Hill
Reviewed August 2, 2012

What an excellent establishment, spacious and comfortable rooms; friendly, helpful and welcoming staff, and finally excellent food at reasonable prices. A group of us stayed for four nights during our "golf week" and had a very enjoyable stay. Ideally placed for the three well known courses of Ferndown, Parkstone and Broadstone, without being in a city location. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Duncan M
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I didn't.

We were looking for somewhere to have a "special" Sunday lunch as we drove through Dorset - and a cursory check of "gastro-pubs" near Blandford Forum put The Langton Arms at the top of the area ratings. But now I see a lot of those ratings come from satisfied wedding reception hosts - commendable. But as a pub with clear aspirations to serve good food, I think it must "try harder". That is why my score is "average".

The price? We ate in the bar and paid just under £90 for three main courses and one shared starter for two - and including a bottle of Malbec at £22, three soft drinks and two coffees.

The food? The chef's "amuse-gueule" was a small cup of hot vegetable soup - this was first class, and didn't prepare us for the food that followed. The first course was a shared assiette of charcuterie - a large portion of duck paté, two types of sausage and one of ham, accompanied by olives, sweet pickle and a cheese stuffed cherry pepper. Well presented, but apart from the paté, the quality of the other ingredients was disappointing (and the choice of accompaniment a bit puzzling). The three main courses fell short of the standard I was hoping for; the steak pie seemed to have seen the inside of a microwave oven, the roast beef was lacked flavour (without its gravy) - the venison sausages were covered in a cloying gravy and a consistency which suggested cereal filler. Three side dishes of vegetables were attractive and good.

Service? attentive (well, the bar is very small), efficient but with a slight touch of Basil Fawlty (though nobody actually said "Bon appetite"). I tipped 11%.

Overall? well, the location is lovely, and the inside of the bar pleasantly decorated. But the standard of the food on this occasion did not merit the price. Of course, we may have had an one-off poor experience - there were certainly plenty of reserved tables - which suggests a loyal local customer base. Perhaps the chef was not on duty, or we chose unwisely. Or perhaps this standard of catering supports this price level in Dorset (?).

My qualifications? Firstly - a customer, just like everyone here. Secondly - I am a retired international hotelier with over twenty-five years' experience of managing food outlets ranging from coffee-shops to Michelin starred restaurants. But please read all the reviews here before you make your mind up - and if you decide to try the Langton Arms, leave your review too. I hope your experience proves the merits of the place.

PS: as the management of the Langton Arms often reply to these reviews - and I expect they will ask why I didn't report my dissatisfaction at the time, it was for two reasons: firstly, this was supposed to be a special occasion, and I wasn't going to spoil it by initiating a row about the food. Secondly, I have eaten professionally for too long not to appreciate the impossibility of validating a customer's taste, and as a refund of say 30% would have been the only fitting adjustment - and I doubted that outcome - it really wasn't a priority for me at the time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank GB_Traveller48
thelangtonarms, Owner at The Langton Arms, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Sir, Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all comments. Firstly I would like to apologise that you were not served the 'special' Sunday lunch you so wished for. I would like to emphasise that we source all of our produce locally and that they are of the finest quality. All of our sausages are made in house using 100% meat, no fillers are used at all. As to your roast beef charged at £13.95; I appreciate it may have lacked flavour, but once again it is ethically and locally sourced at an honest price, and served with all the trimmings. We are currently opening our own butchery so that we can have control over meat hanging times in order to improve the flavour of our meats, particularly beef. Needless to say I am disappointed you were unable to approach us on the day about your experience with us, especially as you were given a check back by a member of staff. I feel honoured that after all your years experience in hospitality & fine dining you took the time to write your 1st Trip Advisor review on my pub. I do hope you will visit us again. Barbara Cossins Proprietor
Dorset
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We decided to give this place ago for a meal after we didnt fancy anything on the menu at the King John. What we got was great home cooked food where the home grown natural ingredients come through and reasonably priced as well. The place is lovely with good staff. The gardens out the back are colorfull and delightfull. But to finish it off we purchased some of there sausages these are the best sausages ive ever had. We liked this place so much we returned there the week after had something to eat and purched 2 more kilos of sausages.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in Sturminster Newton
The Minster Arms
The Minster Arms
#3 of 3 in Wimborne Minster

Been to The Langton Arms? Share your experiences!