“trinidad/topes excellent!”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“trinidad/topes excellent!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We visited the city of Trinidad. it was beautiful. only difficulty it was so hot the kids ( aged 7-17) were complaining. however, beautiful historic city. the tour guide Ariel was amazing, he taught us so much my 7 year old said" mom we r going to be so smart after this trip"

we then had a lovely diner outside. it was very good. even better service!

the night we stayed at hotel ensenachos. simple yet very clean and newly renovated washrooms. bring shampoo, there is none!

Now the highlight of the trip for me was Topes!! beautiful nature walk!! stopped by a little shack where a lively man served us anisette tea. it was delicious. then we arrived at the falls. so breath taking. water is cold but swimmable. be careful as the rocks are very slippery. bring water slippers if u can as it is dangerous. did a few dives from the cliff and off we went. the only negative -we were only there for 45 minutes would have loved to stay longer.

FYI- if u have active kids, it is no problem , our 7 year old did the hike with no issues at all. very dooable!! IMPORTANt-bring your own toilet paper.
trip was well worth the money as it cost 99 per adult and 79 per child all inclusive ( yes hotel stay and all )

Visited December 2013
1 Thank susana l

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Victoria
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Unique ... a little challenging ... fabulous.”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Arriving here from the northern route (e.g. from Santa Clara) is challenging. Although the highway is steadily being improved, and the villages and vistas are rewarding, the last 20 kilometers is still a little rough and steep. Access from the south (e.g. Trinidad) is also not easy as the narrow, winding, mountain-climbing road has heaved in many places so prepare to use 1st and 2nd gear. But when you arrive, it is a strange and unique place with a climate cooler than elsewhere in Cuba and a variety of unique plants as well as some excellent coffee that is sold at inflated (for Cuba) prices in the Casa del Café. There are a couple of hotels, which have very satisfactory rooms and good breakfast buffets. Be careful on the steep roads in and out of the hotel sites. There is also the very large Kurhotel building that evidently operates as some kind of tourist (and possibly Cuban)rehab facility offering various holistic treatments for which Cuba is increasingly a leading advocate. There are various stories about this building but I believe it was originally constructed, pre-revolution, as a sanatorium before being used by the military and is now open to tourists - an imposing though (from the outside) not attractive building in this Cuban national park. Topes de Collantes is a great place for hikers and bikers who like a major challenge. But by bus or car it is a unique experience for all Cuba aficionados.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank moalta
Calgary, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Absolutely wonderful”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This overnight adventure was out of this world, it was fantastic, full of adventure and information, the guides were exceptional worth every penny. $135 all inclusive was cheap. We actually tipped them $30.00 on this one, as we felt it was so reasonable. And the falls are just stunning
We made a lot of friends on this trip, from England, Holland and other parts of Canada

Visited November 2013
Miami, Florida
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Exuberant nature”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Topes de collantes in the heart of Escambray is an amazing place to visit with over 800 metres altitude is a beautiful nature in Cuba, if you have luck there it is a place you can watch EL Tocororo Cuban national bird and many other exotic species, also some places there you can feel a micro climate specially in the Helechos garden ,in some places you can watch a beautiful rains views, there is a place, I don't remember the name, I think it is El salto del cuverni, very inside the forest with an incredible natural pool with cristaline waters to swin,

One thing very important to have in mind, Topes de Collante is not easy to climb, the street is very complicate, a little bit dangerous if you drive yourself without knowledge of the area, I recommend to use special traction Bus they had there travelling from Trinidad, I don't know if they have now because I visited Topes years ago.

I wish best visit to everybody

Felipe R Valera

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Felipe V
New Brunswick, Canada
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Sendero Vegas Grande”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Sendero Vegas Grande trail has less people traffic than some of the other hikes. I hired a private taxi and guide to drop me off at the entrance and meet me at a set time. Round trip the hike took me about 2 1/2 hours including rest stops and having a cup of coffee and a banana with the local farmer and park attendant. The trail is rated medium but it will be more challenging if you are out of shape. The hike begins with an easy hike to the entrance manned by a park official. The entrance fee is $8 CUC. From there it is an easy walk to the look out area and then it is a steep decline to the waterfall. The trail is a bit rugged and slippery in areas so a walking stick is advisable. The waterfall is beautiful. There were heavy rains during the days prior and the water was not clear so I didn't go in for a swim. I was hiking alone so I wasn't sure if I could pull myself out of the water anyway. On that note, don't hike the trail alone. I had the park attendant and guide waiting for me but in hindsight it wasn't a smart move on my part. The challenge overtook common sense. I was happy I made it down and back and was even happier when the vultures stopped circling overhead! It was a great experience and very picturesque and peaceful.

Visited July 2013