“Great Contryside Pub and Beer”
Review of Jug & Glass Inn

Jug & Glass Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Lea
Cuisines: Healthy, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Jug and Glass offers traditional food at reasonable prices.
Reviewed May 27, 2014

A large group of friends and I (15 of us) visited this Pub at the weekend for some late afternoon drinks. Beer was exceptionally good. I myself kept to the Real Ale, sinking 5 pints of Mansfield over a couple of hours or so - excellent pint, free from sediment and reasonably priced. We also regularly ordered portions of chips that were amazing, consumed within a matter of seconds!

Nice outside area, seating with a friendly local atmosphere.

Would not give this one a miss.

2  Thank SFCVDZ
There are newer reviews for Jug & Glass Inn

Reviewed April 20, 2014

As noted by a recent reviewer "the old managers could just never be bothered and it showed" - which despite this being our "local" we had stopped visiting 4 or 5 years ago.

It is now being run by the owner (the previous managers were tenants) so we thought we'd give it a try and were pleasantly surprised by the hospitality and warm welcome that we and our two dogs got. Sadly the restaurant was still being recovered so no food as yet.

We did ask about dogs before entering and can report that well behaved dogs and children are most welcome but with a few very reasonable rules ( eg not in the newly carpeted area or on the furniture).

We will definitely enjoy having a pleasant and welcoming local again after an absence of 5 years or so

Reviewed April 7, 2014

ok, the old managers could just never be bothered and it showed...the outside hadn't been weeded in years and fag butts everywhere...the place was flithy. new managers, and they've at least tidied the place up although their choice of putting new carpets in is a bit odd...the pub is in prime walker/dog/family area so a wooden/tiled floor would be ideal but they've gone for 1980s style carpet instead. and to protect it they've now banned kids from most areas in the pub...I was told we had to sit in a certain area with kids which happens to be the dingiest place in the pub with no real fire...oh and the place was completely empty when I was there last and dictated to where I could sit. even my 7 year old could see that lacked commercial sense, "we'll just go home dad and sit in front of our own fire"...indeed we will son, and we're unlikely to come back here. seriously, it is harder to mess a pub up this much than to get it right but the new folk here have followed in the footsteps of the old ones. pubs in nearby moorwood moor and tansley have got it spot on...nice decor, family/dog friendly, good beers...what a shame the Jug continues to get it so hopelessly wrong

2  Thank Kurt G
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

We heard from friends that the jug and glass at lea was re opening after a long refurbishment... Quite excited as the opening night was on a Friday night, we thought it would be packed with locals.. Not to be, we entered the pub with the smell of fresh paint, walked across new carpet.. Everything seemed good!... BUT!!!!....... Got to the bar, the bar had one lady struggling to serve all the customers, waiting for a long time to be served... My wife wanted a vodka and coke, they didn't have coke... So she had vodka & lemonade... It was tonic! Not nice!... 2nd drink... Rosè wine but didn't have any, only red or white!.. Oh dear!.. As for the refurbishment, it was a shabby attempt!.. The place looked empty, there was no atmosphere, the place lacked happy faces, just hungry staff members, to be honest, I used to really enjoy this place but tonight being the opening night, it was terrible, I much prefer my other local pub at Tansley.

2  Thank Flashbobbo
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Just had lunch in the jug and glass pub in Matlock , all I can say is that it is the worst meal I have tasted in a long time , we had derbyshire steak and cask ale pie with vegetables and chips ! The steak was tough , obviously in my opinion silverside , the pie dish was cold so obviously had not been in an oven just poured the meat and gravy into the pie dish then the pie top was heated separately then popped on top so not the homemade pie that we were lead to believe ,I am so disappointed in the whole thing !so my opinion is to give this pub a wide berth and find somewhere else to spend your cash on because at £8.25 per person you should be spending the money on diesel to get you well past that pub!