“Excellent Food & Friendly Service”
Review of The Austrian

The Austrian
Cuisines: Austrian, British
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Having visited this restaurant on a number occasions over the years, we have found there food, service and hospitality second to none on each occasion, both Judith & Fredie relay there passion in there excellent service and preparation of food which will be hard to beat. Well Done!!

1  Thank FrancisRichards

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We had seen a recommendation for this restaurant when looking for local accommodation and liked the sound of it. We greeted by very friendly staff and it is a very relaxed, homely restaurant. There are plenty of options on the menu and we went for fillet of plaice and pork hock, which were both, incredible. It’s good to see big portions getting served up and you certainly shouldn’t leave hungry! Very good value for money and definitely worth a visit.

Mike and Shona

2  Thank Mike0211
Reviewed February 14, 2014

This is a lovely themed restaurant when even the staff dresses up! Every time we have been there the place fills up fast and I can understand why.

The value for money is good, the food very tasty and plentiful and the staff are attentive and friendly.

I would say that I have eaten at better restaurants but then I would also say that this is the only place I go to eat Austrian food, so i highly recommend it to anyone!

2  Thank Emily M
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Visited The Austrian Restaurant last night - our first visit. Unsure of what to expect, but we had a wonderful evening. Although the interior maybe a little tired it was spotlessly clean. The welcome was warm and the service excellent. The food was very good - my husband's goulash soup was outstanding and our main courses were both excellent. We had the lamb shank (delicious and meltingly tender) and the Schnitzel cordon Bleu. Both portions were huge, but the side dishes were, if anything, more delicious. A wonderful, spicy braised red cabbage, creamed carrots and peas, sauteed potatoes with caraway and (for me) the best item of all, a spinach strudel which was so tasty it could have been happily served on its own. Being very greedy we also had desserts. We shared an apple strudel (a touch heavy on the cloves for my taste, but my husband adored it) and a wonderful, rich, sharp plum tart. All of this, plus wine, soft drinks and coffee was priced at a meagre £57. As recent refugees from London this seemed like the bargain of the century. We will return.

3  Thank Thea68
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I went to the Austrian with friends on Saturday night. It was lovely, the atmosphere is friendly and the place looks warm and cozy. The staff was very helpful and attentive.

My husband and I decided to get only a main and it was a wise choice considering the size of the portions.
The others from our group are meat eaters, but I'm vegetarian and I had 2 options from "vegetarian dish of the day". Nevertheless, both options sounded appealing. I've chosen the mushroom risotto with asparagus and it was very well cooked, creamy and the flavours of the vegetables were distinct. My husband was very happy with his choice: Bratwurst and kraut. He is usually very picky when it comes to sausages, but he enjoyed them.
The food was served with spinach strudel, potatoes and creamy vegetables. All of them very tasty.

For dessert I picked the molten cake with vanilla ice cream and raspberries sauce. I was very happy with my dessert, the cake was lovely, nice texture, very chocolaty. The raspberries and the ice cream were very good.

We plan to return again, as we had a great time and the food is very good.

2  Thank Anca M