“a birthday meal”
Review of The Austrian

The Austrian
Cuisines: Austrian, British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“a birthday meal”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My daughter found this on the internet and thought it would make a pleasant change for her birthday meal.
The welcome was very warm and friendly,and all our questions about the menu were answered fully.
The food IS a bit rich and heavy - but hey folks it IS Austrian.
Our only complaint was that we simply couldn't manage to eat it all but we took lots home for lunch the next day. Another time I shall stick to 2 courses as the desserts looked wonderful and I was too full to eat most of them.
The ice cream based desserts were lovely.

Horsham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Austrian Restaurant in Wales”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife (from Germany) and I have visited many good restaurants in Austria and Bavaria. When we heard about 'The Austrian Restaurant' from some friends, we were keen to visit. We were not dissappointed ! On arrival we were welcomed into a bar area decorated in typical Austrian style where we ordered our meals. When our food was ready we were taken into the dining area. The food was excellent. The owner frequently came to talk to us and was very friendly. We had such a good visit, we came back the next day for Sunday lunch. We thoroughly recommend this restaurant.

1 Thank John W
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A hearty Austrian feast!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Firstly a warning to anyone who isn't expecting authentic Austrian cuisine in as authentic an Austrian setting as can be expected amongst the hills of North Wales... You guys should probably eat elsewhere.

I can't believe it took us such a long time to discover this place.. What a great find!  The restaurant is decorated in the Austrian theme with lots of interesting things to look at while enjoying dinner. The owner greeted and served us and was very pleasant even though we had arrived on a quiet night just before closing time.  She smiled encouragingly at my attempts to pronounce the menu items as though it wasn't the thousandth time she had heard it.  I opted for a goulash which arrived quickly and was delicious with a generous portion of meat and a rich gravy. The veggies were served separately and were also very nice indeed (especially the potatoes!).  Our meals were accompanied by a savoury strudel which also went down well.

In summary it is not the usual north Wales fare and we left very satisfied.  The pricing is perfectly reasonable and we will definitely be going there again.

A quick thank you to the owner for offering to stay open just in case we needed to use the phone if our car wouldn't start, very kind!

conwy
“A little bit of frozen veg and dry pork in snowdonia!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Being local I felt obliged to write this review to express my dissapointment in the Austrian.
Firstly I'm dumfounded as to why this place has such a high rating on here!
we arrived in the evening for 8pm to something out of 1960 with a strong smell of damp in the air, Don't get me wrong I'm all for traditionally old places but this place looked untouched since the owners opened it 25 years ago! We were greeted firstly by the owner who I must say wasn't the most inviting person and having never eaten Austrian food we were not advised on any dishes and were simply given the menu and she returned with her pad for the order, when I asked about a dish I was answered in a sarcastic way of 'yes it's pork deep fried'.

I ordered the garlic mushrooms to start that came as frozen type from Iceland with a chopped tomato and a side of TARTER SAUCE that was meant to be garlic, all I can think of is they ran out of garlic! My partner ordered the egg mayo that was a boiled egg with diced carrot mixed in mayo! (awful)

For the mains I had the pork stuffed with ham and cheese deep fried and partner had the pork with dumpling and gravy, these were very average with the pork being dry on both dishes , the veg that came with the mains was frozen type you get from Iceland, potatoes and cabbage were the only nice things. the food was very heavy and I guess that is typical of austrian food however the standard of what we were given was very average at best!

i have eaten in many places in the area and it's quite rare I complain and the only two paces in so many years that have fell well below standard is the Austrian and the empire in LLandudno.

In all we had very average food in a not so welcoming atmosphere and would not return here, a shame as I had looked forward to going! Don't believe the hype!

3 Thank jinConwy
Judith P, Owner at The Austrian, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
May I start by apologising that you were so disappointed by your experience with us.
I am in shock that you found me unfriendly,unwelcoming and sarcastic, especially as you were so nice to my face! I believe that very few , if any, of the 69000+ guests we have had here would agree.

I'm sorry you didn't ask me for more information about the food, even though I was extremely busy I would have made time to go through the whole thing with you if I had known you were struggling.

As far as feeling the premises are dated, the wood cladded bar and the decorations on the walls are traditionally Austrian and can STILL be seen all over the country which you would know if you had been there.
We have taken great care to look after our premises, but do suffer with condensation problems in certain weather conditions and times of year in this 300 year old building.
Coming to your food comments -- On the menu is Garlic mushrooms with a tasty dip not mushrooms with a garlic dip, and I'm at a bit of a loss to know what , other than a boiled egg, you expected on an Egg Mayonnaise? I wish you had told me about your problem with the pork at the time, so I could have addressed it on the spot, as its hard to do so now!
I make no apologies for the creamed mixed vegetables as they are very popular withour regular, and most, new customers.
I always apreciate that Austrian food can be too rich and hearty for some people, especially those who prefer modern british small "stack" type food served with "al dente" vegetables, however we stay true to traditional austrian cuisine as that is what we are about.

Your final comment about "Hype" was particularly upsetting as I can assure you and everyone else that all our reviews on this website are unsolicited by us and genuine!!!!

(I believe you told me whilst we were chatting, that you came to us via a word of mouth recommendation?)
LLanfairfechan
“evening meal”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

wonderful friendly service, well cooked excellent quality food , we missed starters this time as wanted to partake in dessert and were pleased. I had lamb cooked in mint gravy, so tender it fell apart and finished with plum tart, heaven. Cant recommend highly enough, and cant wait for our next visit

• Visited August 2012