“Three nights in Snowdonia”

Tir y Coed Country House
Ranked #2 of 5 Rowen B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in late July 2013 on my way fro London to Manchester via Mid and north Wales. Tir y Coed is located in a valley off a B road on the edge of Snowdonia National Park just a few miles from Conwy and is approached along a very narrow windy road with high hedges on each side, some people more familiar with the road zip along quite quickly which can be a bit disconcerting, as there is very little room for two cars to pass in most parts.
I stayed in the Rowen Suite, which is very spacious and the two large windows overlook the garden of the hotel.When I arrived Ian checked me in and helped me upstairs with my (very heavy) suitcase.There was adequate storage; a wardrobe and a large chest of drawers so I was able to unpack what I thought I would need whilst I was there.I was tired after my journey so I decided to eat in the hotel, they offer a three course fixed price menu at 37 pounds, drinks extra, which offers substantial choices.
I had a pre dinner drink from the bar and then made my choices, It was as good a meal as I have had in a long time, accompanied by a very nice bottle of red wine from Western Australia recommended by Alan and which by hotel standards was reasonably priced at 36.95 pounds. Breakfast was equally good with juices, cereals, yoghurts and a menu choice of cooked breakfasts and toast made to order, the buttermilk pancakes are superb.
Rowen is about a 30 to 35 minute drive to Llanberis for the train ride up Mt Snowdon with Caernarfon and its castle another 15 to 20 minutes away.
I really enjoyed my stay at Tir y Coed and would recommend a stay there to anyone likely to be in the area.
My thanks to Alan and Ian for their hospitality, and I hope to see you again one day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Johnthepom0001

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were on a two-week trip to Wales and England, and this was by far my most memorable experience. The surroundings are gorgeous. The patio with the blooming flowering plants was a place that was hard for me to leave. Alan and Ian, the owners, teated us as if we were family. You couldn't ask for better hosts. Our room was beautiful with a comfortable bed, crisp linens, and all bathrooms up-to-date with excellent plumbing.
Do not be fooled by the name. Coed to me means a place for college students to crash. In Wales the word "coed" means surrounded by trees. And the trees were magnificent, particularly the abundance of yew.
The breakfast was more-than-delicious. The food is local, fresh and they take great pride in presentation and taste.
This is without doubt one of my most memorable experiences--just being in this lovely, quiet place with a great feeling of coming home with enthusiastic welcome.

Room Tip: Spend some time on the patio. Spend time in the front room. Enjoy this magnificent country B&B...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Robin7333
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We loved everything about our four night stay at Tir y Coed, and wished we had stayed longer. As all the reviews indicate, this small hotel, set in a lovely valley, is beautifully run by Alan and Ian. We stayed in the large Rowen Suite, but we could have been perfectly happy in any room. Breakfasts were delicious. You should really try the pancakes - one of us became addicted to them! We also enjoyed dinner on two nights, and each night provided a delightful experience of food and wine.

There is much to do in the area, but do take a walk through the village of Rowen, and visit the church and the pub. We had dinner one night at the pub, and it was very good pub food. We also had dinner at the Groes Inn one night, and while not close to the standard set at Tir y Coed, it was quite acceptable. We loved visiting Conwy for Plas Mawr and the Castle, and other days visited Caernafon and Anglesey. The highlight of our stay, and perhaps of our whole six week trip, was the Friday night singing at the pub in Rowen - friendly people singing beautiful Welsh songs.

Hopefully, it won't be too long before we return!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mayo Gal
Reviewed June 28, 2013

A faultless hotel, professionally run by Alan and Ian who offer a great set up in an ideal location. Top restaurant means rural accomodation needn't be blighted by trying to get a decent supper. Given the quality the rates are reasonable, others charge more for a poorer experience. Top notch.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ChiswickNomad
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My mum and I returned for a longer stay recently, having stayed at Tir y Coed last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were so glad we chose to go back to the same place, it was all as good as last time. Ian and Alan are the perfect hosts, the food is delicious, and the décor excellent. The location is beautiful, and Ian and Alan are on hand to give any helpful suggestions about where to go in the area. Tir y Coed is a fabulous place, but what makes it really special is the attention to detail by the owners, and most of all their professional, courteous and friendly manner. Thanks to Alan and Ian for another great stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dorsetdaphne
Reviewed June 10, 2013

First of all the location of the Tir y Coed Country House. If you are looking for a central location in a bustling area, you might want to book different accommodation. If however you are looking for peace, quiet, luxury and nature, look no further. The hotel is situated on the edge of a small, old village right on the edge of the Snowdonia national park. The owners Ian and Allen recommended to go for a stroll in and around the village, which was a great way to get a feel for the area directly after we arrived. After the stroll we had a great Spanish lager beer on the terrace which overlooks the lovely garden. On a sunny day I think not many places on this planet can compete with how relaxing and beautiful this spot is! The breakfast next day was of excellent quality, and the breakfast area is nicely decorated with beautiful paintings and generally a lot of eye for detail. Ian and Allen gave us a lot of personal attention and made us feel very welcome. After the breakfast we drove for fifteen minutes and went for an amazing walk in the national park. All in all the trip could not have been any better. Will we come back! For sure. More than once? Very likely!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank markzeedzen
Reviewed May 31, 2013

You know how it is when you've read a review on trip advisor ?

I certainly wonder whether the tastes and expectations of fellow reviewers match my own. I've read glowing reviews of places , booked in and then found that a previous reviewer ,upon whose recommendation I had made my choices, had been a little more tolerant or was perhaps not so picky. Call it snobbishness if you will but perhaps it is just that, having been lucky enough to occasionally afford something special, we have come to expect that a glowing review sets high expectations and that those expectations should be met.

This is most certainly the case with Tir y Coed. we'd seen that it had superb reviews and we're delighted that it met and far exceeded all of our expectations. From the moment the car swung in from the road and up the short crunchy gravel drive, we could see that the owners of this place had an eye for detail and the utmost care for quality. The gardens are beautiful and well maintained, rich colours and shades surround the small car park. They have even placed small markers stones within the gravel drive to make parking easier. Just one of those little details !

The lounges and bedrooms are beautifully decorated. The décor is faultless, the colours, textures, and furnishings combine to create an ambience such as that you might experience in the finest five star hotels.

Dining was an absolute delight. Neither too formal nor informal but hitting the perfect balance. The owners Ian and Alan are attentive, engaging and very friendly whilst ensuring that they treat their guests with the utmost respect and with courteous attention to detail. The food itself is top drawer; lamb falling away the bone, marinated duck cooked to perfection, cooked breakfasts the like of which I've never experienced - and I'm sincere when I say as much.

Over the two days we spent with Ian and Alan we felt as though we were settling in to a new 'home from home' yet at no time did our hosts ever depart from the impeccable standards of service and quality.

It was, as we settled our account, more a sense of 'au revoir' than goodbye. Ian and Alan were both on hand to see us off with warm good wishes and, even as we were leaving we were introduced to arriving guests and found ourselves in a lively, funny and very friendly conversation with people we'd never met before. It was great fun.

We'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank agenuinetraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowen
Royal Oak Hotel
#3 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Plas Yn Dre
Plas Yn Dre
#1 of 2 in Bala

Been to Tir y Coed Country House? Share your experiences!