“Pleasant couple of hours”

Conwy Water Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Rowen
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Nice way to spend a couple of hours there is no charge but we happily left a donation as the children enjoyed it

There are newer reviews for Conwy Water Gardens

Reviewed July 20, 2014

This venue is free to go around. There is a large fishing lake which was very popular when we were there and a nature walk which was very pleasant as it was a nice sunny day when we went. There are not a lot of wildlife but what do you expect for a free day out. We saw the Capybara but the otters were away, breeding apparently! There were chickens and geese wandering about and pheasants.There is also a Dutch Pancake House (again very popular) and a shop selling fish and their supplies and reptiles.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

If you are staying near Conwy visit the Water Gardens about 4 miles outside Conwy on the road to Rowen. There is a pancake restaurant as well as a walk around the gardens. Travel on to Rowen and stop at the Ty Gwyn Pub, a wonderful old pub with lots of atmosphere. The food is very good and reasonable. Also walk up the hill through the village, a delight!

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

We visited here as a couple last week. We wanted to make the most of the lovely weather and drive some where nice for a picnic, as we only live 30 minutes down the road.
We had looked up the website and browsed through leaflets, and were looking forward to visiting.
When we arrived we had a walk around the nature reserve, which was ok not brilliant, only a couple of animals/wildlife.
I know its free entrance, and what were we expecting....what is advertised!!
We were looking forward to the aquarium and the reptile house, well that was a disappointment as well, yes the fish were nice in their tanks but for the reptile house, it looked and felt more like a store cupboard, with only 2 reptiles in there.
We were shocked to find out that there wasn't a picnic area you could sit in, yes there were outside tables, but had to buy their food and drink!
We left and drove to Conwy Castle and had our picnic by the water, which was beautiful.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We visited here last week, and it is a gorgeous little place, which I would recommend to anyone. Some of the comments I have read are frankly baffling. How anyone can have anything detrimental to say about the nature trail, which is free, FREE, is beyond me. What do you get for free these days? Selling pancakes and aquatic equipment they may be, but no-one is there forcing you.

As for the Pancake House, well we loved it, what a lovely little place, in quite stunning surroundings. Granted, not "cheap" compared to a pre packed sandwich in the car, but as someone else said £60 for lunch for three, I can only assume you have very hearty appetites. I can snuffle away a decent meal and not shy of a good feed, and am certainly no waif, but I managed my Indonesian pancake and really didn't have much room for much else. £6 I think it was, plus £2 odd for a coffee; I'd say very reasonable. The meal itself was freshly made, and very tasty. The satay sauce was particularly nice, a real little kick to it.

As for the nature trail, a nice hour's walk with our 3 year old and baby. No, it wasn't brimming with wildlife as others have pointed out, but you're not in the Serengeti, you're in inland Wales. Our three year old thought it was brilliant. Did I mention it was free?

The only downside I could point out was the service was a little slow, but they had a sign up advertising for staff, so I expect this is a temporary issue, and certainly wouldn't put me off going again.

Certainly a place I will be visiting again, it is fantastic.

2  Thank Howard W