“A hidden gem!”

Conwy Water Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Rowen
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We visited here on the spur of the moment and had a lovely afternoon. The water gardens basically consist of an aquarium, a nature walk, fishing lakes and a cafe. The nature walk was lovely - there were chickens walking around freely, an area to view small birds feeding and a few animal enclosures with otters, capybaras and ducks. It had a really relaxed atmosphere and the scenery was beautiful. We were lucky enough to see the otters out while we were there (around 3pm).

It's not a zoo, but it doesn't pretend to be. It's more of a pleasant woodland walk but with the added bonus of animals along the way.

We visited the cafe for a drink. The staff were very friendly and the lady who took our order spent time chatting to us. Although we didn't eat there, some of the ice creams we saw being brought out looked enormous!

Best of all, there is free admission and even free parking. We spent about two hours here in total and would definitely recommend a visit.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"free attraction"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I'm not really sure of the main purpose of the gardens but it seems that the fishing and nature trail are the main attractions. I went here to find a few pond supplies and I was very impressed! Live plants, healthy, happy goldfish and very helpful staff. I didn't visit the pancake house so I cannot give any information apart from that the leaflet makes a bit of a fuss over it.
The only money that I spent here was in the fish shop, and I have a donation to help keep this lovely little place going :)

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We took picnic
Yes a bit out the way
But it is all free
Little play area
Lovely for a good few hours
Feed the ducks and the chickens

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Rural location so a car is a must. Lovely to spend the afternoon there with young children although not so much for teenagers.

The pancakes are tasty although I can't help feeling they're a little overpriced. Staff are fairly friendly but not exactly chatty. Worth a visit!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I've been travelling to Wales for years and have always been meaning to go to the Water Gardens. On my last visit to mid Wales I finally decided to make the journey. Arrived into a crowded carpark and my expectations were raised even higher. Went straight to the Dutch Pancake House and booked a table for lunch (taking the advice of marketing which tells you to book in advance to avoid disappointment). Walked round the "nature trail" in less than half an hour and saw a few chickens and sparrows. The single Capybara was slumped up against its enclosure looking a bit sorry. Highlight of the visit was seeing one of the three otters in its enclosure. "Aquatic Centre and Reptile House" is a tiny shop selling fish/reptiles, with less than ten tanks. The pancakes were nice but overpriced for what you get! Over the lunchtime I was there it got really busy and people were put onto a half hour waiting list so prepare to while away time if you haven't booked. All in all a wholly disappointing trip- glad it's free so I didn't waste money. Only worth going if you're looking to while away an hour or two. Didn't fish, so can't comment on that aspect.