“Well worth a visit”

Conwy Water Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Rowen
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I visited Conwy Water Gardens in January 2013 with my husband. It was a lovely place with plenty to see. We had to wait a while for the Otters to come out but when they did it was worth the wait. We stood and watched the Capybaras for ages and enjoyed a nice walk around the lakes. I am not really into birds but my husband enjoyed looking at the rare bird enclosure. The reptile house did not have that many reptiles in there but the aquarium had a large variety of different fish. We also went to the Dutch Pancake House and had a pancake each. They were tasty and filling. People have mentioned the pancakes being expensive but we did not find this at all. Where else can you find such a large meal for such a low price? The restaurant was very cold but when we asked for the heating to be turned up the member of staff explained that the heating had broken and they were waiting for an engineer to come out. They were very apologetic. Overall we really enjoyed our visit and were pleasantly suprised to find such a lovely place with no entrance fee.

1  Thank KASDoncaster
in 4 reviews
"walk around"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Visted this place after seeing a leaflet showing a lovely little attraction. What????? The place was a joke. It was like a caravan camp site. No otters to be seen, we went inside to the aquarium and reptile house. What reptiles?? No sign of them either. Look at the fish then shall we? A few filthy miserable looking tanks with very overpriced fish. A member of staff who I might add was a bit scary, asked if I had fish then fired questions at me like I was under arrest for something. I felt pretty uncomfy and we left. The atmosphere in there was very odd and not a place I would want to spend any time in. It was cold, dirty and horrible. We decided to go to the pancake house for coffee. What an awful place. Could this experience get any worse? Yes it could and it did. It was freezing cold, in fact some people came in and left as it was so draughty and cold. The staff outnumbered the customers and were among the most miserable people I have seen and very unfriendly. Clearly we weren't welcome as we only wanted coffee and not the overpriced pancakes they were selling. One part of the pancake house was dominated by screaming spoilt brats who never stopped yelling, and no attempt made by the females accompanying them to stop them didn't help. I have never drunk a cup of coffee so fast. I was glad to leave and have no intention of ever going back. The leaflet advertising this place needs looking at I feel.

1  Thank Janinnwales
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Aquarium - the fish tanks were dirty, other reviewers have said the same. The surroundings were also dirty, the floor needed a good brushing. The reptile section is limited & it was very damp in there, a limited amount of reptiles to see, to be completely honest. The outside area is good, the animals are in good health and obviously looked after. Plenty of parking.

1  Thank teithiwrjones
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Oh dear. How can this place be called 'Water Gardens'? Went to Reptile House - empty, not even any sign of there having ever been any reptiles. Went to 'Aquarium' - you mean fish shop with dirty tanks, poor looking fish and mess all around. Member of staff in the 'aquarium' was 'weird'. Went to Pancake House - nearly didn't stay because the place was absolutely freezing (other customers left because of the cold). Just had a latte each but staff were very unfriendly and were not happy that we did not order any food. Cafe was dirty - salt and pepper pots, container holding sauces and sugar were all stuck to the table with dirt. Latte was OK but nothing special. No thank you from staff. Outdoor toilets were locked. Just glad that we did not pay to get in to what is no more than a shop selling overpriced fish from dirty tanks. Don't bother going

1  Thank MalcolmC