“Glad we gave it a try!”

Sylvia's Nicholas New Clean Plates
Cuisines: Jamaican
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stopped in for dinner after speaking with Sylvia earlier in the day. Since they have no menu, she went over what she thought were going to be the features that night. When we got there, we found the dry erase board with the nights options. There were plenty! Food was very good, very authentic, and large portions. Service was friendly and quick. Atmosphere was pretty stark, wish they had more seating outside.

3  Thank pjfarr1

Reviewed February 16, 2012

liked it all! casual, well priced, delicious food. clean fresh yard style cooking. strong, well priced drinks. sylvia's got it! if she moves, follow her!

2  Thank discerningbugetravel
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Our family of six stumbled upon Sylvia's Clean Plate while checking out the Donkey Diner for dinner. It took us a while to figure out they were separate places. Sylvia met us at the door and explained that she was from Jamaca and served the food from her native land. I had little idea of what I was ordering, but everything was delicious. Most of us started with a nonalcoholic blended drink made with something called bread fruit. I've never tasted anything like it, but it was very good. That was followed by a sumptuous yellowtail accompanied by a garden salad and potato stuffing (mashed sweet potatoes with raisins). Others at the table had shrimp, grouper and conch. Also on the menu were salmon, mahi-mahi, sweet and sour pineapple chicken, curry chicken and BBQ ribs. Most of the seafood dishes could be prepared in several ways: grilled, butter sauce or jerk. The jerk is pretty spicy, but not overpoweringly so. If atmosphere is important to you, you might be disappointed; it's just a room with simple tables and chairs, a bar in the corner and no view. But if food is important, this is the place to go. The prices were downright cheap by island standards. Most entrees were between $15 and $20, yet most thought this was the best food we'd eaten since we arrived.

8  Thank Bondave
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My husband and I were going to the Donkey Diner for breakfast and walked into "Clean Plates" by accident but ended up staying to eat. We are glad we did. We couldn't decide which juice to try so they gave us samples of each one. They were delicious and full of flavor. My favorite was the ginger beer. They said they have different ones all the time. This was the type of restaurant I was hoping to find in St. John so I could try things I've never even heard of before. The women who worked there were very friendly. I wanted to go back during our stay and try out their dinner food, but we didn't get a chance because we wanted to try other places as well.

5  Thank KrystalARoy
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed in Coral Bay in early October and planned on having breakfast at the Donkey Diner. It was closed for the season and I am glad it was--right next door was Sylvia's and she had only been open three weeks!!!! Breakfast was a la carte--fast service, inexpensive and VERY tasty--the veggie omelet was amazing! WE WENT EVERY SINGLE MORNING OF OUR TRIP! Sylvia is from Jamaica and uses all the secret Jamaican spices to flavor her wonderful dishes! One morning she gave us some porridge and I have to say it was so fantastic! I had never had it before and wasn't sure about it but the spices Sylvia used made it taste great--so creamy!

Every day the menu changes for both lunch and dinner using fresh local seafood. Although we never made it there for dinner, on our last day she made us a fish dish with her spices so we could try a taste! It was FANTASTIC! She even said she didn't have all her spices from Jamaica yet, so when we go back there, our first stop will be Sylvia's.

7  Thank mermaidmammy