“Worst meal of the week (and expensive)”

Skipper's Brit Pub at Sweet Plantains
Cuisines: Caribbean, Indian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Steve and Adie look forward to welcoming you to their newly renovated British Pub right on the water in Coral Bay. The menu features Skipper's Pub menu (wraps, sandwiches and appetizers) plus a great dinner menu of British food such as Bangers n mash, Cottage Pie, Steak and Guinness Pie, as well as some amazing curry dishes. Walk-ins are always welcome, but it is recommend to call ahead and reserve a table during high season.
Reviewed March 14, 2010

We went to Sweet Plaintains because it was recommended for their curry dishes. Be warned...they only do curry on Fridays and Saturdays and have a limited menu otherwise. We ordered wine and they tried to"substitute" a another (much cheaper) wine in its stead (without telling us). $15 for a ceviche appetizer that was 90% onion and about 3 small pieces ot fish. By far, our worst dining experience the week we were on the island.

There are newer reviews for Skipper's Brit Pub at Sweet Plantains

Reviewed February 26, 2010

After many recommendations and reading several reviews on this site, I decided to try Sweet Plantains for my birthday dinner with a group of friends. I will start with the positive. The environment is quite nice, with quaint decorations and a nice view of Coral Bay. But, I can get the same thing down the street at Island Blues or Skinny Legs for that matter, and save 150 bucks.

I love curry, and was looking forward to tasting their dishes. Our waitress failed to inform us that curry dishes are only offered on the weekend. By the time we learned this, we had already ordered drinks and an app, so we decided to stick it out. Big mistake.

Beer, which can be ordered most anywhere on the island for 2 bucks, was 7. And these weren't beers brewed by monks in a monastery halfway around the world. These were VI Mangos. The painkillers were average, but they ran out of them. How is this? I presume rum, coconut, and pineapple juices are abundant on the island, but I guess not in Coral Bay.

Portions were very small, but very expensive. I opted for the pork tenderloin, which was decent, but not worth the price. I guess my pallate is not as sophisticated as some of the travelers here.

Our waitress provided lackluster service. She was unenthusiastic. The icing on the cake (I wish!) was when we informed her that we were there to celebrate a birthday. What did she bring us? Nothing. I don't expect anything for free, but come on. Take a hint.

I have been visiting STJ for many years, and this is the first time I have tried this restaurant. Now I know why, and as I stated in my title, I will never touch foot here again.

Reviewed February 26, 2010

Finally had dinner there recently and was excited after hearing so many rave reviews of the place. The atmosphere is very nice, although we were told we couldn't have a particular reserved table because it was a special request for someone else -- we also had a reservation, but the "special" party didn't show up during the 1.5 hours we were there, so the nicer table sat empty the whole time. Another couple also asked for the table and was told the same thing; we all wound up being seated in higher-traffic and less desirable areas of the restaurant.

Unfortunately, the food was also a huge disappointment -- what should have been spicy wasn't, and what shouldn't have been spicy was. That would have been fine enough if the meat had been properly cooked and the flavors were good -- but they weren't. So disappointed, and I kept really wanting to like something... but it was so bad I didn't even take the leftovers home.

1  Thank catbaygirl
Reviewed February 24, 2010

OK. What to say about this place. First the meal portions are horribly small. If you are looking for 3 shrimp and 2 scallops for 25 bucks, you have found the right place. Ah beware of appetizers as well. Dont order the crab dip, we literally had to send it back bc my wife couldnt choke it down. Second, alot of people enjoy some drinks with dinner or afterwards, if you do...stick with the mixed drinks, although the beer is good, for some reason they think 9 dollars for a beer is ok, blows my mind, what is this a baseball game? Ah yes dont forget to tip at the end. Oh wait they do that for you. While im used to that at most "upscale" (or so they think) restaurant, never have i seen 18%. That explains why the waitress is so horrible as well. Man if i was getting 18% for doing absolutely nothing, id have no motivation either.

I really dont understand these other reviews. Did u guys go for the beauty of st john, or the food? Either way there are much better places.

Reviewed October 10, 2009

I am an awesome cook and world traveler if you love yourself than you owe yourself a night with Rose and Prince!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The braised beef will bring you to your knees!!!!