“Tourist Trap is the whole enchilada!”
Review of The Tourist Trap - CLOSED

The Tourist Trap
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed January 22, 2011

We've been to STJ twice, with our last trip being in January 2011. Both times, Larry's place (Tourist Trap) has felt like your favorite pair of comfy shoes that you can't wait to put on after a long day. We literally looked forward to his grouper tacos (the best we've ever had) for almost a year, during the wait for our next trip. But, even better, is the vibe of this place. On each visit (there were multiple), we met fun, friendly people and of course, Larry was always there with a joke, a story, etc. This place attracts people that you want to hang with. We've met people there (both years) that we still keep in touch with.

The waitress, Mary (on Wednesdays) makes you feel like you've been a friend of hers for years. Truly, such a happy and positive person. She's got good "chi."

It is an informal, fun place that you could linger for hours (and we do). I literally said to myself out loud, "I love this place!" while there 2 weeks ago. It' s been the high spot and the source of the some of the best memories that we've had on STJ.

If you go nowhere else to eat on this island, you must go to the Tourist Trap. Don't dress up or worry about your hair, just relax, and enjoy the most genuine, low-key, island experience you'll have. It is certified "good times."

BTW, the lobster? It's Caribbean lobster..it is different than the lobster in the states..I've had the Lobster Roll at Larry's and enjoyed it. If you do go to Larry's Tourist Trap, you've GOT to lighten up.....at least while you're there....Sheeesh!

2  Thank SurfSound
There are newer reviews for The Tourist Trap

Reviewed January 22, 2011

This place is so St John - a quirky little outdoor restaurant that is nothing to look at, but has spectacular views! Loved the atmosphere and the food!

Reviewed January 3, 2011

We wish we had found theTrap a little earlier in our trip. Really cool spot.View is great and Larry is a one of a kind proprietor. We will be back!

Reviewed December 29, 2010

I was very perturbed to go last week (12/25/10) and order their so called famous lobster rolls. It is a crappy piece of bread with miniature SHRIMP meat, not an ounce of LOBSTER to be found. $11????? Not even worth $3. Doesnt seem like they care an ounce but instead swindle their customers to believe they are serving lobster. Take a quick drive or long walk and go to Miss Lucy's instead.

Reviewed December 9, 2010

Larry,

Thank you so much for the fun and fabulous food last week! It hasn't even been a week and I already miss your lobster rolls and rum punch! Neil and Michele sure loved Jeff's homebrew.!

I have been wearing my long-sleeved t-shirt this week since I need something to keep me warm in the snow and ice of Chicago.

Say hi to everyone down there!

We miss you!

Kathy, Neil and Michele (we stayed at Concordia)

1  Thank Neil D