“Local flair”
Review of Island Blues - CLOSED

Island Blues
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Description: This business is no longer in operation. we appreciate your interest and hope you have a fabulous st john vacation!
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stopped into Island Blues for a drink on our way into Cruz Bay one night, we were a little intimated to go in because it felt very "local" and dark. Claudette who seems to be the main and possibly only(?) bartender was very warm and welcoming. She makes great drinks and suggested that we come back when their kitchen was open. I am glad she did, we went back the next night for dinner. My boyfriend and I shared a burger and their specialty crab cakes.. But these aren't your average crab cakes, and for the life of me I cannot remember what the signature name was, it's a piece of shrimp with crab cake in the middle of it wrapped in bacon, pan fried and served with a sweet/spicy sauce. My mouth is watering just thinking about them! They were delicious! The burger was also VERY good. The only thing I was not crazy about is that I did not feel completely secure at this establishment, it was a total local hangout and we kind of got the feeling they were not too keen on "tourists" fortunately my boyfriend is a pretty big guy and likeable at that so they seemed to love us. If I were in a larger group I would have felt perfectly fine.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I were here on Christmas Eve. The kitchen wasn't open but Collette was open for drinks. We had the Key Lime PI (her version of the Lime in de coconut) and it was the best we'd had in the 4 restaurants we tried it around the island. The drinks and atmosphere were so good we came back the next 2 days. You have to try the crab, bacon, wrapped shrimp. It's as delicious as billed. The crab stuffed tilapia was really good as well.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Island Blues was a real treat. We stopped in for drinks several times during our stay enjoying the friendly atmosphere at the bar and delicious blender drinks. I highly recommend the Key Lime Pi and Bushwacker. The food prepared by chef Carmen was delicious as well. Loved the crab cakes and grilled Mahi sandwich. At first glance it looks like just a bar, but there is water front seating on the other side of the bar and the food is way beyond bar food.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We always stop here for lunch and saw the recent reviews about the quality of food had disintegrated but something must have changed. The food was as good as it was 3 years ago for casual local Lunch. I heard that the old local chef just returned with the new owners and possibly that was the problem ? Well, the trade winds were as relaxing as ever passing through the establishment in this large OPEN AIR COVERED wooden bar /semi-restaurant while we were sitting on the beautiful aqua blue Coral Bay looking at the boats in the bay while we were conversing and sipping drinks. We had another couple with us who had never been here even though they visit the island every year for the last 15 years and they just sat there and did not want to leave... too funny especially they never wanted to eat here prior and now they were totally "sold" ! Lay back ...and enjoy...

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Carmen, the chef at Island Blues, cooks up a whole lot of great local food. Her crabcakes and bacon wrapped shrimp are delicious and the side dishes which accompany them are really nice "down island" delights. We especially liked the deep fried avacado, but the plaintains and cabbage were also very good. Stop in for dinner and sit beside the bay to enjoy the view and liveliness of the waterfront. Live music too on some nights. All in all Island Blues is an island delight.