Extremely remote beach accommodation at the western tip of Cuba. Amazingly detached from the rest of the world. Long Carribean beach. Well sized cabins with all you need. Perfect if you do not want the 'all-inclusive' style of beach holiday that seems to be taking over Cuba (eg. Veradero). Only things you can do are sunbake, swim and read.
Make sure you get the hotel transfer to and from Havana to Maria La Gorda, then the connecting hotel bus out to Villa Cabo San Antonio. They could not offer us a transfer from Havana, so we were forced to catch the Viazul bus to Pinar del Rio (12CUC), then a taxi (old Lada rustbucket!) for 3 hours to Cabo San Antonio (90CUC!!!!!) An adventurous ride! We may have been ripped off here, I heard others were offered 60CUC for the same taxi ride.
- Remote location, far from everywhere! Absolutely relaxed and peaceful environment.
- Well sized villa's, with all mod cons.
- Staff all lovely and helpful.
- Killer SANDFLIES! Got >100 bites after my first session at the beach. Take industrial strength protectant, and DO NOT lie directly on the sand. Use the beach chairs, which still does not guarantee you won't get attacked! A BIG problem.
- Poor insulation between each side of cabin means you hear everything in the adjoining room in your cabin.
- Limited restaurant menu gets boring after ~4 days.
Why weren't the villas and restaurant positioned on/overlooking the beach?????