“5/5 experience at UK Wolf Conservation Trust”

UK Wolf Conservation Trust
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Beenham
More attraction details
Owner description: Due to the age of four of the wolves & the Director the Trust is now closed to all visitors. Thank you to all our previous visitors.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

On Saturday 20th July 2013, I went with my dad to the Walking with Wolves Open Day where we had the amazing experience of walking with three of the wolves from the enclosure. The safety talk before the walk was very informative and they answered any questions we had before we begun the walk. All of the workers at the trust displayed a great passion and knowledge for wolves and you really knew that the wolves were the priority at all times.

The walk itself was amazing, being in such close proximity with three wolves was an amazing experience. There were opportunities to "meet and greet" with the wolves which involved rubbing the wolf's belly. If people were lucky they got a wolf kiss from the wolf! I was one of the lucky ones and the moment was captured on camera. I consider myself very lucky.

After the walk we got to see the wolves being fed and found out what diets they had and how they are kept healthy. We also learnt that their teeth are exceptionally strong, and witnessed first hand the power of their jaws, making light work of the bones they were eating.

It was a brilliant day and is something I am eager to experience again. I will definitely look to continue the walking membership to have this opportunity again in the future.

5  Thank Kasey W
All reviews
"biscuits"
in 36 reviews
"amazing experience"
in 16 reviews
"beautiful animals"
in 10 reviews
"plenty of photo opportunities"
in 6 reviews
"birds of prey"
in 5 reviews
"sat nav"

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Fantastic day walking with the wolves :) the best part was getting up close and meeting one of the wolves and being able to give a belly rub :D
We will definitely be going back :)

3  Thank Donna T
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We joined an evening "Walking with Wolves" which we thoroughly enjoyed. It gave us a terrific insight into these much misunderstood animals. The volunteers who ran the evening were fantastic, especially Craig who obviously adores all the wolves and they respond wonderfully to him. The Trust is doing such good work and we hope they continue to succeed and develop.

1  Thank DiscerningDame
Reviewed July 7, 2013

How fantastic to be able meet and greet these wonderful creatures, a brilliant afternoon walking with wolves.

2  Thank Jackie T
See more reviews
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Did the Wolf Keeper for a Day day with my partner, and we intend to come back once a year for a Wolf Walk, we enjoyed it so much. I hadn't really thought about wolves before, but I guess I had a few pre-conceived ideas. In reality, 'howling' is much more melodic than Hollywood has lead me to believe, and they are actually quite shy creatures, cautious of strangers, watchful for danger and even jumpy with simple things like the wind rustling in the trees, hunting and eating only when hungry, social with the rest of the pack and generally quite happy it seemed to be left to their own devices. These wolves are 'socialised' - absolutely not the same as 'tame' so although they are used to human contact and will allow visitors on the walk to stroke them after a period of getting used to us, they still exhibit their natural wild behaviour. NB - You can't just turn up and go - events like this must be booked in advance due I suppose to very understandable health and safety reasons and you must come prepared. There are very strict rules on clothing and footwear to follow, signing of paperwork, health criteria and then after an introductory talk and DVD and a behaviour briefing I set off with a group of 7 other visitors, 3 wolves, 6 handlers (2 per wolf), the head keeper and a number of other volunteers and animal welfare students on placement. In the afternoon we did some 'enrichment' - essentially ways of ensuring the wolves' enclosure reflects their natural wild habitat to encourage wild behaviour, preparing food and feeding. Yep, we will be back and have already got our membership organised - a unique anniversary present to ourselves!

3  Thank L B