“Educational and fun spot”

Joyce Country Sheepdogs
Book In Advance
$11.95*
and up
More attraction details
Owner description: An authentic insight into hill sheep farming and rural Irsh life with working sheepdog demonstrations. Interaction with puppies and sheep shearing demonstration during high season. This is set against some of the most breathtaking scenery in Ireland. Rest room facilities available along with picnic tables for guest use. Scheduled demonstration times are 11am, 1pm and 3.30 pm Monday -Saturday, however alternative times are available by prior arrangement.
Jupiter, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Educational and fun spot”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Joe offers amazing insight into the typical life of an Irish sheep farmer. He even had three puppies for my wife and I to play with. His dogs are supremely trained and Joe is incredibly personable.

Visited June 2014

Estero, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Ireland's Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

This was just a wonderful experience! Joe and his dogs are a highlight of any trip to Ireland but his charming, easy personality and beautiful children make the trip even more special. And the ride to Finny in Clonbur is breathtaking! This IS Ireland! We were a party of 14, all enthralled! Loved every minute This is an attraction (if I must call it that-( not to miss! Highly recommend!

Visited June 2014
florida
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Fantastic time!”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I was so happy to find this place while we were having lunch in Clonbur. The waitress at Burke's pub called Joe for us and he said come on over to see the dogs. I was excited to get there. The ride up to his place is breathtaking. What beautiful scenery. I have been on some spectacular drives in Ireland and this one is at the top. It was such a nice surprise to see such beauty then to go and see these fantastic dogs work the sheep was just a bonus. Joe was funny, professional and relaxing. All the dogs are wonderful with great stories of how he got them. He had 2 Border Collie puppies approx., 4 months old who were in training which I wish I could have taken home. This place is where they filmed a scene with Jennifer Anniston from the movie Marley & Me . Everyone should go and visit this sheepdog facility you will love it.

Visited May 2014
“Amazing display of intelligence, speed and humor.”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

What a great sideline to our trip and really a highlight that will be remembered by the entire family.

Here in the US I have seen these amazing dogs (mostly Border Collies) and their abilities to move sheep around obstacles and into a pen on a dirt floor. In that same display you hear all of the commands and watch in awe as these pups race across an arena full of spectators.

However, I have never seen a sheepdog display like the one Joe and his pups put on. I wouldn't call it a show because this is what they do day in and day out. Really watching a sheep farmer doing his job in his true environment.

To watch these dogs race up a steep mountain and herd the flock back down and around a course and to watch the different "personalities" of each of his border collies herd these sheep is just amazing.

We met up with Joe at his place after a short drive from Clifden and an even shorter drive from Connemara National Park... The drive was a beautiful journey into the countryside. We drove through some beautiful countryside to get to Clifden but some how this hits home as true Irish Countryside. The "ranch" (if that's what the Irish call this) overlooks a beautiful lake and beautiful mountainside where Joe keeps his working herd.

Joe is a great guy. Funny and you immediately warm up to him. He does a great job explaining how and why he works the herd and how the sheepdog in general is invaluable for his and other sheep farmers to keep up with their stock. This really is a family business... His father in-law also a sheep herder and is known for being part of the Samsung LED sheep video. If you haven't seen that video on youtube you should check it out.

To watch the growing pups that others have mentioned in their reviews (a few weeks or months older now) herd as a team is fun and awe inspiring. Gave me goose bumps watching them do what they do best at such a young age.

In the end, this was a very special part of the trip. If I'm ever back in Ireland I will definitely come back and see how Joe and his pups are doing... I could literally watch them do what they do best all day.

cork
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best Sheepdog display ever”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We came across Joe and his dogs first on a TG4 programme. We decided to visit and were rewarded with an unforgettable evening with Joe and his amazing dogs. We have seen many dog trials and are keen fans of the BBCs Lambing live series but learned more from Joe in an hour than we could have imagined. He told us about the different character and styles of his dogs before putting on superb display of each dog and finished by allowing two puppies join in with the older dog so we could see how naturally it comes to them. The beautiful scenery made it so very special. I won't spoil the experience by telling too much. All I can say is that our visit exceeded all our expectations and we will be back soon.

1 Thank Fastrac