“Joyce Country Sheepdogs is a must see!”

Joyce Country Sheepdogs
More attraction details
Owner description: An authentic insight into hill sheep farming and rural Irsh life with working sheepdog demonstrations. Interaction with puppies and sheep shearing demonstration during high season. This is set against some of the most breathtaking scenery in Ireland. Rest room facilities available along with picnic tables for guest use. Scheduled demonstration times are 11am, 1pm and 3.30 pm Monday -Saturday, however alternative times are available by prior arrangement.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The drive to Joe Joyce's farm is spectacular. Once there, Joe was welcoming and his place is absolutely stunning. Puppies ran out to meet us and it was so much fun. The demonstration was great and it is obvious he loves his dogs and they love him. The animals are well cared for and he showed a real respect for them. Cannot recommend a day with Joe Joyce highly enough.

1  Thank SOReilly5
All reviews
"herd sheep"
in 14 reviews
"answered all of our questions"
in 4 reviews
in 76 reviews
in 17 reviews
in 17 reviews

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I am not a "dog person" but was happy to accompany my relatives to Joe Joyce's sheep dog exhibition. With the most beautiful scenery you could ever imagine as a backdrop, Joe entertained and informed us in the world of sheep dog training and herding. His Irish charm and calming approach to an intriguing lifestyle captured the imagination of everyone including a non-dog lover like me. I recommend it to everyone.

1  Thank Maryloreilly
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I admit that I'm a sucker for anything to do with dogs, so when I found out that we were close to Joyce Country Sheepdogs, I had to get there and see the working dogs in action. It was a bit of a drive on narrow roads (but isn't that the case in most of Connemara?), but it was well-worth every sheep in the road we had to dodge.

Joe, who owns Joyce Country as well as 200 sheep and quite a few Border Collies (including adorable puppies!), was the consumate host. He explained how he works the sheep and how he trains his dogs, and then he sent the dogs off to bring the sheep down the mountain! Simply amazing!!

I suggest you visit Joyce Country's excellent website to see the dogs and sheep before you visit. That way you'll be all the more excited to see them (and Joe!) in person.

A wonderful attraction - a real working sheep farm. Entertaining and informative for anyone who loves dogs and the beautiful countryside of Ireland. Make sure Joe tells you about the time Owen Wilson and Jennifer Anniston visited during the filming of MARLEY AND ME.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My family loved the sheepdogs! We were wowed by how smart the sheepdogs were! Joe was really great about answering questions and teaching us about how herding works. It was really cool to see the dogs in action, and we even got to pet some of the sheep.
The mountains backdrop was absolutely breathtaking and worth the drive in itself.

I would highly recommend this experience to anyone traveling in Ireland.

1  Thank Alexandria J
See more reviews
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Spent today with Joe Joyce watching his dogs work sheep and learning how he trains the border collies. Great way to spend time in a beautiful setting (mountain, lake, green) with a terrific host. Joe is extremely friendly and welcoming. His children were about and only added to the day. We had our boys with us..this was a Top 5 day over a 30 day trek through Ireland for us.
We came from Clifden...easy and pretty drive. Lunch in Co Mayo (just minutes from Joyce's) at a local spot Joe recommended.

1  Thank jeffm728