“disgusting and scarey hole”
Review of The Bell Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rainham
The Bell Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Rainham B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2013

myself and my partner stayed here a while ago whilst visiting family..i totally agree with other reveiws ..its nothing like it looks on the website at all !! not very welcoming at all ..the barman just took our money and directed us to our room just by pointing at a door..the showers are communal..the toilet seat was hanging off. one chap said shame you wasnt here last night as fridays are fight night!! pub toilets were disgusting and my partner said the mens toilets were the same ...not very freindly at all..we went to the pub across the road which was alot more freindly and welcoming..when we went back to get some sleep you could hear women running around the landings giggling ... PLEASE DONT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: there isnt any
Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank debbiegeohegan
There are newer reviews for The Bell Inn

Reviewed September 12, 2013

By far the worst place I have stayed. Unfriendly and somewhat indifferent staff, dark and dingy rooms and hallways, communal showers (with no hot water) opposite toilets with no doors in a room with no functioning light. The one toilet with a door had no lock and the door didn't fit the frame and needed to be jammed in place, same with the shared bathroom door.
The rooms were generally unclean, with two mousetraps visible in mine, one immediately behind the bed post. The electrical wiring was downright dangerous with a live duel socket outlet located immediately below the sink. The lighting was terrible and by 8:30 I found myself unable to read. The television worked, but only sporadically and with a snowy screen. My window was high and didn't close properly, letting in the cold and the sound of traffic from outside but doing little to alleviate the smell of stale cigarette smoke that permeated the room.
The stairs up to the rooms were a narrow spiral, alongside which ran a large pipe at just the right height to catch my shoulder and knock me off balance. This I just about managed with but anyone with balance issues or trouble walking would never have gotten safely up those stairs.
The dubious nature of the rooms and the amount of broken windows made me anxious about leaving the van in the carp park, which despite its large gates and promises to close when the pub did, was actually never secured. Although the van and all its contents were fortunately still there in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Optio13
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Let me just start off by saying don't stay here! Three of us were sent to this 'B&B' whilst on away work. We arrived only to be greeted (or not as the case was) by the bar staff who didn't seem to know what was going on. Once it was established that we did have a booking for the week we were taken up to see the rooms. On the website it states "luxury accommodation", if this was luxury I would hate to see cattle class! The rooms are about as large as the average family bathroom, they were dimly lit and just a bit shabby looking. Upon closer inspection we found pest traps placed about the rooms which immediately set us on edge wondering what could be lurking! We were then shown the bathroom, communal is putting it lightly; the main door didn't shut, only jammed to a point that a little force would need to be applied to open it so the bolt was redundant. Although the showers had curtains, the two toilets that face the showers had no doors so you would be getting very friendly with anyone else using it at the same time. Equally the separate toilet across the corridor had a door that wouldn't shut but could only be jammed. The showers only gave out cold water and the sinks did not look overly appealing to use in any way.
Back to the rooms.
My room had a high window that I found to be slightly open when I got in and started sussing it out. Being quite short this was already an inconvenience so standing on the bed (that didn't feel that secure) I tried to close it, alas it would not close and appeared to have been jammed into the frame leaving a nice gap that let in a cold draught and all the noise from the main road just outside the pub. Closing the blind and curtain was of little help and it ended up that I had to sleep in a jumper just to try and keep warm that night. The bed was uncomfortable with an ill fitting mattress that allowed the pillow to slip backwards making it even more uncomfortable and the small single duvet was not sufficient. I was loathe to take anything out of my bags as the carpet look old and dirty. The TV took quite some fiddling with before it would even switch on and considering it is digital had a very limited number of channels. The noise from the pub (music and rather rough locals) could clearly be heard from below and made trying to sleep difficult, although coupled with cold, the uncomfortable bed and noise from the road (which seems to be busy all through the night as well) sleep was nigh on impossible anyway. Another point to note is that the doors to the rooms although they did have a lock were not very secure and potentially could be pried open very easily and so all valuables were taken to work the next day as I didn't feel safe leaving anything in there. We also had to go out and buy towels from tesco as none were provided, although I doubt they would have been used if they had been. The electric/wiring in the room consisted of a couple of extension leads taped around the door and full of plugs, I felt that this was unsafe and had the potential to overload at anytime, had I charged my phone or laptop. I also found a lot of bed slats under the bed with sharp screws sticking out, these were found only when I trod on one of the screws, I did consider going and getting a tetanus jab! The rates charged for the room do not reflect what you get and had we stayed the full week we would not have been paying the rate that we were quoted as it was extortionate for what we were given. Also, walking in I could smell that someone had smoked in the rooms recently, I am a smoker myself but can't stand the smell of stale smoke in rooms so clearly this is not an enforced rule.
A bit about the rest of the pub.
Although again stated on the website they did not provide breakfast and no reason was given for this, this also did not result in a reduction of the rate for the room. The entrance for guests staying was through a back door which was opened with a key from the outside, in the morning we found this door had been left open, possibly all night. The door leading up to the rooms had a sign stating that it was to be kept closed, it was frequently found to be on the latch and accessible by anyone in the pub who happened to be wandering through. A large window into this private section was broken and not even boarded up which would have allowed anyone access if they had not chosen to go through the open door. The car park left us uneasy about leaving our van there overnight and we half expected it to be gone the next day. Although there is food served in the evenings after seeing the state of the rooms and the pub in general we decided not to chance eating here and resorted to the large tesco just over the road and a pub a little further out as there are very limited options for food otherwise unless you enjoy eating kebabs for every meal. On the two occasions I spoke to the owner one of the times she was on the phone to someone else whilst dealing with me, she seemed to have a 'couldn't care less' attitude, was quite abrupt and seemed to find us an inconvenience.
Between the three of us the next morning we managed to put together a full a4 page of complaints about this place and were considering the 1 1/2 each way commute just to finish off the weeks work.
I implore you not to stay here, there are plenty of B&Bs in and outside of the M25 that have decent rooms available, really we should have taken note of the state of the website as that is an indication of what was waiting for us. Don't waste you time or money!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Archaeologist13
sharon r, General Manager at The Bell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

This property had just opened rooms were not the priority at the time as downstarirs needed attending as that's what you first saw when you walked in. rooms have now been completed although showers are still in progress.out side off building is also yet to be revamped but is in pipeline hence why windows not operating as they should due to some having old frames which cannot be replaced due to the age of the building. Tvs all upgraded as is everything in the rooms. The noise outside due to traffic cannot be helped being as we are the entrance to the village and the building is not allowed double glazing as it is not in keeping with its heritage would assume you would know this due to your job.Overall this building has come a long way and its journey is continuing considering the amount of people that have stayed here I believe we must be doing something right.This has been so far an expensive journey and is still continuing but we will get there. And we are very proud of our acheivements so far as we have had no financial help.i would also like to state the 3 reviews are all from the same people who work together not individual clients

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rainham
The Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Devonshire Hotel
Devonshire Hotel
#1 of 3 in Hornchurch
Premier Inn London Rainham Hotel

Been to The Bell Inn? Share your experiences!