“Unfriendly, nice building - poor service and food”
Review of The Eyre Arms

The Eyre Arms
Ranked #4 of 6 Restaurants in Calver
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Unfriendly, nice building - poor service and food”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My 9 y.o. son and I today popped in for a pub meal, driving back home from Manchester way. The building looked nice, inside we were shocked to see a large board-warning "NO CHILDREN BEYOND THIS POINT" - extremely unwelcoming! However, there was a "families with children" area at the back, which we were sent to, it was poorly lit, cold and empty. I asked the lady at the bar if we could still sit at the main area, as it was well lit and much warmer with not many visitors in. She insisted we sit in a "depressing" area - at that point we should have left, but we had to eat. We ordered a quick soup and a pot of tea - both were awful. We felt completely alienated while there, left with heavy feeling. I will not recommend this pub, and will never, NEVER go near it again. Could be such a nice place - a total waste of a building! :(

• Visited August 2012

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

The food here was awful, we left after the main course to get pudding in another pub because it was so bad! Would never revisit!!

1 Thank Kaatiee
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Food was very bad”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had gone for a drive out one evening and as we passed this pub thougth we would call in for something to eat, the food was the wosrt food I have ever been served. It was overcooked when I complained about it, they returned with another one and that was the same. We ordered a childs meal of chicken which was also overcooked, I could have understood it if the pub was busy but apart from my family there was about 5 other people in there. I would not recommend this put at all . The staff didnt want to be there and the service was very poor indeed. VERY DISSAPOINTED

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Claire L
Essex
“Beautiful exterior, very disappointing inside”
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

As we had a child with us we were herded into the family area which was badly decorated with no charm whatsoever. The staff were utterly disinterested and the food was the quality you'd expect from a cheap chain. Avoid!

2 Thank bev-la73
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Typical pub food”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We hadn't been here for a while and I had recommended the place to friends after my first visit but this time we thought the meal was average. Obviously, calling at an 'Open all day' pub for a somewhat past-lunch time meal, we were not expecting lots of atmosphere and buzz but the staff response seemed a little slow. When someone took our order the service was friendly enough but we noticed a couple more customers had to wait at the bar. The food was typical pub fare and the portions were generous but I noticed that the prices had increased since my last visit. There seem to be mixed reviews of this place and I wonder if it was just the time we chose rather than anything else. There are certainly enough certificates on the walls citing awards for food, quality and hospitality. We'll give it another try but certainly at a different time.

• Visited July 2012