“Sunday Lunch watching the cricket..”
Review of Derwentwater Arms

Derwentwater Arms
Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Calver
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Derwentwater Arms is a warm & friendly Pub / Restaurant set high in the village of Calver it has great views of the surounding peaks and edges.It is set back from the main road in the 'old' village, a real hidden gem.
UK
“Sunday Lunch watching the cricket..”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Brought my father out on a sunny Sunday lunchtime, we both chose the home made Steak Pie, (there is a small and large portion, but the smaller one was certainly plenty for a lunchtime!) - came served with creamy mash and perfectly cooked broccoli, courgettes and carrots. Diet coke for the driver (myself) was the proper, glass bottle, Diet coke, which is a big winner, too many places in the area overcharge for post-mix syrup, penalising the driver. Being a lovely day we ate outside and watched the local cricket team's match (do remember when using the car park, if there is a Botham-esque player on the field, to park at the top of the car park). Lovely setting, good pub food, homemade and fresh, with a cricket match free thrown in. What's not to like! Will definitely be returning.

• Visited May 2013

“Brilliant everything!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Very welcoming despite being a sole adult with 3 children for dinner! Warm yet stylish decor. Fantastic food served in simply smaller portions for smaller appetites; which my children really appreciated, having good food not the ubiquitous chicken nuggets, fish fingers etc. My steak was amazing and great sides too that came included.

• Visited February 2013
derwentwaterarms, Owner at Derwentwater Arms, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words, I realise it is harder to remember and comment on a good experience than a bad one, so thank you again for taking the time to write your review.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“What changed”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We have visited this establishment often over the past fifty years. The last couple of years the quality and variety of food on offer has been superb. However, we booked weeks ago to celebrate a significant birthday on Saturday evening only to find it somewhat changed. The menu was much reduced and more akin to pub grub and not fine dining. My rump steak although requested medium rare came very rare and full of gristle. The young girls serving we're very pleasant but the service very slow. We did comment on the quality of the meat but the only comment made was we are sorry and pass it on to the chef. We did not bother ordering a dessert but paid the bill and left. We will have to look elsewhere for the next special occasion regretfully.

• Visited April 2013
Thank you for your review, I have been running this pub for the last year and a half and believe the choice of home made and home cooked food is larger now than ever. On Saturday night there was a choice of 7 starters, 14 main Courses and 6 desserts. I find it hard to see how you can describe this menu as pub grub, although I have to say we do not sell ourselves as a fine dining experience, we are a pub that cooks good honest homemade food. As for the service being slow, we were very busy on Saturday night and believe that Chicken and Pies that are cooked from fresh take 30 minutes in the oven, we are not a fast food outlet. We buy our meat from a local butcher & farmer and can identify the meat to the field it was raised in, unfortunately as a natural product some cuts can be less than perfect.

The starter choices were

Courgette & Aubergine stack with homemade tomato relish,
Fillet of bass on a bed of Samphire & Citrus butter,
Guinea Fowl with Apricot Stuffing,
Chicken stuffed with Brie and wrapped in Parma ham
Halibut with Samphire & Lemon & Dill sauce.
Hand battered haddock
Haddock En papilotte
Pan Fried Duck breast with orange sauce & Rosti potato
Beef & Peak ale pie
Whitby wholetail scampi
Gammon & Egg
Derbyshire rump Steak
Derbyshire Sirloin steak.

Dessert choice were (All home made again)
Rhubarb Crumble
Lemon & Lime Tart
Bakewell Pudding
Chocolate Brownie
Mixed berry Pavlova
Treacle tart
Cheese Board

As to your steak not being cooked enough for your liking, I am surprised my staff did not handle this better at the time, we clearly need to learn from this, and will be discussing the best way to handle such complaints as they happen, to our customers satisfaction.
“Good food, good location, lovely waitress.”
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner visited this pub after reading reviews on TA. We had a beautiful fish dish with a rarebit sauce. Although it was really delicious I do think at £12 it was slightly overpriced, but that's probably me being tight!
Desserts were a homemade bakewell tart (amazing!) and a homemade treacle tart which was lovely.
The waitress was friendly and helpful.
I would recommend this place to anyone in the area.

• Visited April 2013
“Don't go there for food”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Me and my boyfriend went here for dinner on Sunday night, during a weekend away in the Peak District. We chose it because the reviews and photos on here showed it to be great. Unfortunately this wasn't the case in reality-I suspect that it might have changed hands. We both ordered steak-we both wanted sirloin but they had run out, so we went for rump. I ordered mine medium rare and my boyfriend asked for medium-both arrived well done and subsequently were really chewy and rubbery. They were meant to come with grilled tomatoes, onion rings and chips, but neither of us were given the tomatoes. We were so disappointed by the food, especially given the price, that we quickly ate what we could and left!

I would definitely not recommend going here for food. However, if you're just going for a drink then it'll be fine as the service was friendly and efficient.

1 Thank Nlcbateman
Thank you for your review, What a shame you did not give us the opportunity to resolve your problems with your steak and lack of tomato at the time. I remember serving you, I have been running the Derwentwater Arms for a year and half, one of my chefs has been here for over 4 years and the other 14 months. What made you think it had just changed hands I really don't know, when writing a review it is much better for credibility if you stick to the facts.
perhaps you were just having a bad day.