“Best resort - can't recommend highly enough!!”
Review of Six Senses Laamu

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olhuveli Island
Sydney, Australia
“Best resort - can't recommend highly enough!!”
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Have just returned from our 8 night honeymoon at Six Senses & cannot recommend it highly enough! I can only describe the resort as a well oiled machine, our experience was fantastic and we cannot fault it.

The island is stunning with fantastic facilities and enough to do - even though you cant get sick of lazing on your villa day bed taking in the view.

The water villas are amazing - we had an ocean water villa (45) on jetty b facing jetty c which we loved. Jetty c is far enough away so you can't see anyone opposite. It was also deep enough to jump/dive off whereas a lot of jetty c you couldn't as it was too shallow.

Food was fantastic - the best buffet breakfast we've had. Lunches & dinners were also fantastic with a really good range of food from around the world. Chill bar was great for lunch with pizzas, pasta, noodles, burgers etc from USD20++.

The staff are what make this resort so amazing. Everyone is so lovely and genuine. A special mention & thank you to our GEM Afra who went out of his way to see us every day & ensure our holiday was perfect! Also mentions to Priya at the spa (yes it's expensive but not for a 5 star spa on a remote island, worth every cent), nishanta at chill bar and George & Steve at watersports/surfing who were so knowledgable & helpful.

All in all this was a dream holiday I will never forget & we will absolutely be back to Six Senses Laamu!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lauren M
SixSensesLaamu, Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Lauren M,

Warm greetings from across the sunny side of Six Senses Laamu, Maldives!

You have made our day even brighter with such wonderful words and kind appreciation; from the bottom of our hearts, a very sincere thank you from all of us.

Your very positive feedback from your recent stay has been shared with the team and everyone is so delighted to read through your posting and to know that you had an amazing holiday with us.

Please let us know when you intend to come back and it would be a pleasure to assist you plan your next visit to Six Senses Laamu.

General Manager, Six Senses Laamu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 25, 2014

When deciding to holiday in the Maldives, our prerequisite was over water bungalow. Six Senses bungalows are amazing, so well appointed and views to die for - we woke up each morning thinking we were in a magazine shoot, the scenery was absolute perfection and that blue water will be etched in our memory for ever.

From the moment we arrived we felt pampered and not just like another guest. We were greeted at 2am in the morning on our arrival by our GEM Lateaf, who looked after all our needs and requests for the week from daily tours and an amazing private dinner on the sandbank for our anniversary to sunburn cures after a day in the sun on our own deserted island.
The food was amazing, the cocktails were to die for and the hospitality of the Six Senses staff is second to none.

There was nothing we would change and to be honest anyone who complains about this resort is crazy and would always find something to complain about. I would not hesitate staying at another Six Senses property and would love to come back and visit the Laamu Atoll again sometime soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mariangela V
SixSensesLaamu, General Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear MariAngela V,

We are happy to know that we have succeeded in providing a perfect holiday for you and glad to know that your were happy with our villa accommodation, food offerings, resort experiences and services.

At Six Senses, each of our guests is unique with their own needs, interests and expectations, and we are glad we were able to meet yours and gave you the feeling of being totally pampered during your stay.

I will share your kind comments with your GEM Latheef and for sure, he will be delighted to hear such appreciation for his hard work.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you soon here at Six Senses Laamu or to any of our Six Senses properties. Until then…

Shanghai, China
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Maldives is amazing ~~~ ocean and sky are so blueeeeeee, clouds look like marshmallow, ohhhhhh ~~~ I love it so so so much ......

The resort, Six Senses Laamu, absolutely wonderful experience. The very 1st thing, shoes ooooooooof, touching the ground I feel so freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :-)

Welcome drink on the speed boat is Ginger & Lemon Grass ice tea, and Cinnamon ice tea in my water villa. Definitely the perfect drink to start this whole vacation. Then I couldn't stop to order that every single time when I have my meal in the restaurant.

Remarkable hospitality. Airport concierge help with flight check-in and handled my luggage, villa number was assigned before I get into that domestic flight. Greeted by GM at the duck. Their colleague helped with check-in and passport photocopy while I am having resort tour, every step very smooth. Shifu, my GEM (guest experience maker) and her trainee Yuki definitely made my experience here fantastic, anything I need just have to press one button, any request, any booking, anything ~~~~. Colleagues here are very very very friendly, they all have sunny smile lighter than the sunlight :-), greeted whenever I pass by anyone of them, been gently asked how is my day; always stop they car when they see you coming and off the front light to let you pass first. Probably I am the only girl travel solo at this period, I been given extra attention I think, everyone knows my name, when I seat myself in any of their outlet and public areas, there always someone come to speak to me and keep me accompany.

My water villa, OMG its hug, the room is amazing, every corner of it is amazing. I love the amenities, made from ginger, and they offer after sun shampoo, condition, aloe vera gel. Of course, the environmental friendly notice everywhere to invite guest be part to it. There is a hug balcony and I can jump into the ocean right from it. Nap on the balcony every afternoon, how relax. Can't forget to mention the litter rooftop terrace, where to enjoy a quiet moment and looking at stars, feel so close and I can reach them just that easy. And, I am writing this review right here, right now.

Food, breakfast buffet has so much varieties, juice counter definitely my favorite, they do serve daily special mixed juice, but I more prefer to spend my own time with that counter :-) three glasses of different juice plus ice americano in the morning to start a preface day. Coconut muesli, had everyday as my first plate; hot dish changes; small tiny thing, bacon was too salty. Lunch at Leaf are delicious, set menu but enough variety and option for guest to choose. 5 days I don't need to repeat any order. My favorite: prawn salad with green papaya, sour and sweet, fresh; prawn soup, clean soup with organic vegetable grow from the garden; beef oyster sauce, Vietnamese style and that seafood fried rice more like rice fried seafood, so much squid and prawn, love it so much. Ice cream shop, opens daily from 12 to 10pm, complementary, so much varieties, my love to coconut ice cream and watermelon sorbe. Just can't resist it, pay single visit after every meal, and dive, and swim, even ride 10 mins bicycle to get there after my nap for 2 scoop of ice cream. Call me crazy.

I had 3 amazing dives, babe sharks, sea turtles, octopus, lots of lots of lots of Nemo, and I got a stamp for Spotted eagle ray. Fish are really beautiful. Instructors are very much professional and friendly, offer service in muti-languages. I had so much fun.

Thank you all for amazing experience, I will definitely return in the future. :-)

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear NanCy_LAN,

It’s great to read your fantastic review and great knowing that your stay with us has been most pleasant and enjoyable.

Aside from enjoying your villa, the food and the activities at the resort, we are very proud that our team was the highlight of your stay with us. I will make sure that your comments are shared with them, specially to your GEM Shifu, who helped made your stay special. Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback.

We sincerely thank you for choosing Six Senses Laamu and we are truly delighted to know that you will be coming back again soon.

Porto Alegre
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Laamu Six Senses for 7 days for my Honneymoon with my wife and it was the most incredible expirience we could have had. Everything was amazing, the accommodation, the food and mainly the service. The hospitality in particular was wonderful. Our GEM, Auzam, the sommelier, all the guys in the restaurants, the staff in the watersports and in the diving center, everywhere we where very welcomed.
Regarding the food our sugestion is to have the Dinne Around half-board. In this way you could try all the diferent restaurants and expiriences.
Thank you for making our stay here so ammazing. We felt not in a resort but in a home very very very far away from home.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vipenter
Marteyne, General Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear vipenter,

Sunny greetings from Six Senses Laamu!

First of all, let me thank you for choosing our resort as your honeymoon destination and we are very happy to hear that we have created an amazing holiday for you and your wife. It is a delight to read your wonderful comments, especially your kind appreciation to our team, and please know that your feedback has been shared with them.

Should your travel plans bring you back to the Maldives or to any of our other Six Senses properties, please do not hesitate to contact us if we can help you in any way with your next visit. We hope to see you again soon!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Returning to the Maldives, our go to "get away from it all" holiday, for the 4th time in as many years, we tried another Six Senses property - Laamu. As a bit of a Six Senses junkie, Laamu did not disappoint. Flying into Male International you have to take another commercial flight to get to the island - but its still worth it. We had an over water villa located in the most private area of the resort right at the end of the jetty, it was amazing being surrounded by only the sea and no neighbours on one side. As regular guests we knew some of the staff and this just added to the amazing family welcome that you get at the six senses properties. Service was beyond excellent! Try the dolphin cruise, even if we were not lucky enough to spot any, the trip is lovely, with bubbles and canapes as the sun sets on your return journey. I dont need to talk about the rooms etc these are as expected at any six senses property, which are always perfect, with that indoor/outdoor feel. food and drinks are also perfect, with their focus always being on locally grown and fresh. A great place to completely lose yourself in blissed out island life, take some time to snorkel, swim, sunbathe, eat and be merry! Nothing beats the Maldives and few places will come close to beating Laamu if you are after a robinson crusoe inspired break. PS lock your phone away in the room for your entire stay - you will not regret it.

Room Tip: an over water villa is definitely the way to go and jetty C is the farthest away if you like a long...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EdanaSchul
Dear EdanaSchul,

On behalf of all of us at Six Senses Laamu, a sincere thank you for your great feedback! Coming from a Six Senses repeater guest, we very much value and appreciate your feedback and are absolutely delighted to know that we have not failed your very high expectations and that we were was able to maintain the pride of Six Senses service and concept.

I am fortunate and exceptionally proud of our wonderful and passionate team; a team which ensures that the service provided to our guests is, as you so kindly point out, beyond excellent! It is great to read throughout your review that you felt well-taken care of by the team and we are proud to know that we have succeeded in creating unforgettable moments for you during your stay.

EdanaSchul, thank you for your loyal patronage and, be it here or at one of our other Six Senses Hotels Resorts or Spas, I sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back once again. Until then,

With best regards,

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Arrival & transfer
Unlike many other resorts in the Maldives the transfer to Six Senses Laamu is via a regular domestic flight (rather than a sea plane). This meant a short walk to the domestic terminal where we were shown to a waiting area adjacent to a small (free) buffet with water and other drinks available. Unfortunately we had just missed the morning domestic flight so we had to wait about 2 hours for the next flight. There was a tv showing a kids film which kept our two boys, aged 9 and 11, happy. The transfer was fine and non-eventful, with us getting off at the first stop (other travellers stayed on the plane which presumably went onto other Maldivian destinations). We were then met and escorted 250m to the speedboat that was waiting for us. A lovely 20m speedboat ride whisked us to the Six Senses resort. As other reviewers have commented, shoes were placed in a little shoe bag and life was barefoot (even in restaurants in the evening) from then on. We were welcomed by the general manager and introduced to our GEM - the 'guest experience maker' who was our concierge assigned to us for the duration of our holiday. Abdulla was our GEM and definately made our stay more pleasant; taking care of booking restaurants and excursions as well as making sure we had everything we needed. He showed us to our water villa which was on the nearby jetty A.

Over water 'lagoon' villa
We were given villa #5 on Jetty A which is at the island end of the jetty nearest to the restaurant and resort complex. Nevertheless it was great for us, we didn't feel at all overlooked and our outlook was directly out to sea with the restaurants nicely breaking up the skyline to the left. Certainly villas 1-3 I would avoid if possible as these look out towards the restaurant complex. It isn't all that bad though even if you did get these villas. We've stayed at Conrad Rangali and Centara Grand on previous trips to the Maldives and the villas at Six Senses are in a league above the Conrad and Centara. They are relatively new and very rustic in appearance being all wood-clad, but they have managed to create a very luxurious environment. There is copious seating and lounging space with the outside deck equipped with two over-water hammocks, two regular style sun beds, a table with seating for at least 4 people, and a sofa type area in the shade nearer to the villa. All looking out to the glorious sea. The most stunning feature though is when you are sitting in the villa looking out to the sea through the huge window - it's practically a glass wall. With a sun-set view each evening was a delight to experience. Other features worth mentioning are the outdoor glass bath where you can see down into the sea (but we never used it!) and this theme is continued in the toilet where there is a glass panel in the floor where you can watch the sea whilst you, err, wait! Also outdoors is a lovely shower and then some steps that leads up to a upper balcony/floor with some nice sofa seating that provides privacy and shade.

Mini bar, bikes and turndown service
Every day the room was cleaned and then before bed turned down. Plenty of complimentary water was provided every day - if in the past water was charged they've changed their policy now and provide it free of charge in the room which is great. Although Jetty A is relatively near to the restaurants it would still be a 10 min walk, with Jetty B and C significantly further away. So everybody gets given bicycles to travel from their villa to the restaurant area. The bikes were adorned with small wooden plaques with our initials burned into them which was a nice touch.

Snorkeling and the reef
One of our favorite activites is to snorkel on the reef. Jetty A turned out to be the best location for snorkeling as we could just go from our deck and be swimming over the reef within minutes. Alternatively you could bike over to the main complex and camp at the Chill Out Bar, where there are steps into the sea and the edge of the reef is very near enabling you to take small kids out there relatively easily. Because the resort was constructed relatively recently the coral quality near to the restaurant complex was poor, but improved as you followed it out towards the nearby sand-bank. As you are level with the end of Jetty A the reef is very good with huge structures in good condition. The normal sealife is present and we spotted hawksbill turtles and for the first time we spotted common octopus on two occasions which was a treat. Only saw a couple of sharks which contrasted to seeing dozens at Centara. Towards the end of our stay we decided to take part in the night snorkeling excursion that follows the house reef for a short way equipped with high-powered torches. Nice experience, seeing curious feather creatures sprouting from the corals and lots of red fish, and several Lionfish. All in all, I would say that the snorkeling at Six Senses is average to good. We brought our own gear, but all you need can be borrowed/hired from the very good dive shop.

Food!
The dining experience at Six Senses was the best we've experienced in the Maldives so far. We were half-board and in most resorts this means that the main restaurant is buffet style. Here the main restaurant is buffet only on one night with the other nights being ala carte. Great options, lovely food, good service. The other restaurant options include a Japanese which was superb, and the 'Leaf' restaurant which was sublime. Back at home we enjoy eating in michelin star restaurants a fair bit - however the tuna 'catch of the day' dish here at the Leaf restaurant was the best fish I've ever had and the beef was incredible. Maybe the best beef I've had. Then, towards the end of our stay, we had a guest chef Anton Manganaro (head chef at Bafta) who produced (with the resident chefs) an amazing final meal of our holiday. Good options for the kids as well in all restaurants.

In villa dining
We realised very early on that this resort was different to others in that many guests elect to stay in their villa during the day as the accommodation is so good. The in-villa dining was very good with lunches being just as good as eating in the restaurants.

Erosion etc
Many of the islands in the Maldives need to implement preventative measures to limit erosion and Laamu is no exception. While we were there several sea defences were being built near to the restuarant complex and whilst not pretty to look at, you can see why they need to do it.

Kids club
Our boys aged 9 and 11 went into kids club for one afternoon but it was geared for younger children. The facilities are fine but basic however they have a nice outdoor cinema that they visited once or twice. If kids club is high on your list of priorities and you have kids older than 8 then this might not be for you. Fine for the odd afternoon when you'd like some peace and quiet but not an every-day thing.

The unique thing here is the whole GEM thing - haven't experienced that before and it was great to have a concierge on hand who would book restaurants, accompany us on our excursions and ensure our welfare during our stay. Abdulla did a great job. There were a few staff that were merely indifferent but most were keen to provide good service. Overall a decent resort from a service point of view.

Return transfer
Don't like to end on a negative but the return transfer compared to other visits to the Maldives was a bit of a drag. The speedboat back to the domestic terminal was fine but the transfer back went via another airport and we must have been on that plane for a good hour and a half. Wasn't pleasant.

Summary
A brilliant resort, with highlights being the fantastic over-water accommodation and food. The snorkeling and reef were good. Currently there is no swimming pool - some of the villas have their own private plunge pool, but there is no public pool to lounge by. This was something we did miss as it is nice to take a dip in fresh water every so often, especially if it is just to cool down in between book chapters. The kids also missed having a pool as it makes a change from being in the sea the whole time. We were informed there are plans to build a pool and if this gets done we would certainly consider returning to Six Senses Laamu. Thank you everyone there for a wonderful two weeks.

Room Tip: Jetty A sunset side for snorkeling, avoid villas 1-3.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank edralph_uk
Dear edralph_uk,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and detailed review regarding your recent stay at Six Senses Laamu. It is great to read that you found Six Senses Laamu to be "a brilliant resort" with special highlights being the snorkelling, the good reef, the fantastic over-water accommodations and the food.

Following your feedback, allow me to clarify a few points in hope that this can be helpful.
Drinking Water: Six Senses Laamu produces its own drinking water onsite to help reduce the carbon footprint of importing bottled water and as well as to reduce plastic waste. Complimentary bottled water, both still and sparkling, are available in all the villas for the duration of ones stay. However, to cover the costs of water production, we charge a minimal amount for the bottled water served at the restaurants.
Snorkeling and the Reef: Our house reef is a pride of the resort hence we take all the effort to keep it clean and pristine. One does not need to go far to see the bountiful sea life and amazing creatures thriving on the corals once you locate the best spots. Most of our guests consider our house reef as one of the best in the Maldives!
Food and Dining: Thank you for considering our food offerings as the best food experience you had in the Maldives. We are so delighted to hear such great compliment. Our Executive Chef and his culinary team ensures that our guests enjoy a wide variety of culinary styles and dishes ranging from local to international and from a la carte (daily) to buffet style (twice a week).
Domestic Transfer: As you may know, our domestic transfers are being operated by our airline partner, Island Aviation, and as such, we are dependent on their operations. We are contineously working diligently with their teams to ensure best possible connections for our guests. My sincere apologies though if we were not able to provide direct flight for you on your return trip to Male.
Kids Club and Pool: I sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding our kids club and your suggestion for a communal pool. We are indeed in the process of adding pool to some of our overwater and beach villas and additionally are building family villas, a new Kids Club and a communal pool. Your feedback is taken on board and the team and I shall ensure we develop additional interesting activities that would be suitable for different age groups. We remain committed to continually improving on our service, guest experience and the quality of accommodations on our island and value your inputs and feedback.

Thank you once again for your very detailed feedback and we hope to see you again next year! We will be more than happy to host you in our new family villa where you can enjoy more the sun, sea, sand and of course the new pool!

With kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Just back from the most incredible honeymoon at Six Senses Laamu. We deliberated long and hard about where to go and were worried we'd put all our eggs in one basket and might get bored by just picking one island and in the Maldives too when we like a bit of culture etc. But we were not disappointed. It is true that it is quite a long haul to get there, especially if you don't get a direct flight to Male, but it is so, so worth it and what you get for all that travelling is a remote island with uninterrupted sea views and you truly feel like you are getting away from it all. Not that you will be bored at Six Senses Laamu. That was a worry of ours. But as soon as you step ashore (having handed over your shoes in exchange for iced tea on the boat and then not even having to check in, you just kind of sit on a sofa and they take your passports and do the rest) is that there is so much to do, many different places to eat and drink, activities and excursions should you wish, but if what you do best is chilling, then you are in the right place here! Even just pootling round the island is a pleasure, you feel like you are in the middle of the jungle. We were also apprehensive about the no shoe policy or the eco vibe but don't think that means that you scrimp on luxury! Every little thing is thought about here and after a while you forget to even put your shoes back on anyway.
The rooms are huge and beautiful and really well equipped and made entirely of wood and in this day and age you realise that trying to have as low an impact on the environment is so important, yet they do this without you even noticing or feeling it in a negative way. You still have the TV/DVD/ipod dock etc but you don't even need them.
I miss the outdoor bathroom so much. Can you imagine lying in a glass bottom bath with the huge windows open so you are just surrounded by the sea? It is a reality here.
We were on half board and what is amazing is you can use the credit for these meals in any of the restaurants or even in your villa. Here's a tip: if you miss breakfast then you can order it in your villa up to 1.30pm and use your very generous credit towards it and it's even better than breakfast in the main restaurant.
Other highlights as there are just so many: the bikes with your names on, canoeing round the island, snorkelling on the house reef, the food (out of this world! How do they do that on a tiny island!) eagle rays and parrot fish just swimming right at your feet under your water villa, snorkelling on the house reef, a massage in the spa overlooking the beach....
Ok so I know everyone probably says their GEM is the best, but I truly know ours was. Auzam has been at the resort since it opened 3 years ago so he knows everything and everyone and nothing is too much trouble, always a pleasure, always delivered with a smile. As we were on honeymoon he made us feel truly special, as if we were his only guests, and every day there was another little treat for us; free massages, a cake, petals on the bed, a sunset dolphin cruise, champagne in the room. They might do this for everyone but we felt like royalty. Nothing was too much trouble. If you left your book open, they'd put a book mark in. If you left your bikes somewhere else on the island, they suddenly appeared outside your room. This is what Six Senses do best, effortless luxury, with the help of their amazing staff who they manage to retain when competition is fierce amongst the resorts, and you can feel how strong a team this is. And you really feel like Six Senses are supporting the local economy by employing locals and giving back to local islands and projects etc. The staff are all so friendly and helpful, sometimes a little too much when you're having a romantic dinner and three different waiters come up to take your order in the space of 5 mins but I won't begrudge them that!
Anyway see if you can get Auzam to look after you. He is such a lovely guy and we had a real laugh with him too. We tried to pack him in our suitcase home but sadly my suitcase was too small. Which reminds me - you don't need to pack a lot of stuff to come here, even try hand luggage to speed up your journey.
The prices are quite high especially for alcohol, but they have two happy hours an evening which is buy one get one free and hell, you're on an island in a country where they don't drink so you have to expect to pay more.
I know they are having problems with erosion which is quite sad to see and also they are building some new plunge pools, so there is a bit of construction about but it has to be done I guess perhaps not so early in the morning!
I am actually now getting depressed writing this and missing it so much but it was the most wonderful and unforgettable holiday of a lifetime and we do hope we can go back sometime, but if you are reading this thinking should we book, then just do it, you won't regret it.
:))

Room Tip: We were on Jetty C which is furthest from the restaurants and bars but therefore quieter and with be...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PAthePA
Marteyne, General Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear PAthePA,

On behalf of all of us here at Six Senses Laamu, a very sincere thank you for this detailed and very positive feedback regarding your stay with us; your comments are heart-warming, serve as wonderful encouragement and make all of us very proud! Thank you; we truly appreciate your time and for sharing your experience to our readers.

Staying at our island paradise indeed ought to never be boring experience as there are a large number of activities and experiences to choose from while at the resort. Be it Water Sports, Spa, Dining or Wine Tasting experiences, a picnic on a deserted island or sunbathing on the sandbank, fun Sports and relaxation activities in our Gym and Yoga pavilion or simply biking around the island or walking barefoot on the shore to watch the colourful sunset; the options are plentiful and can offer unique alternatives to experiences one may not be able to have back home or in the city. I am delighted that you were able to try many of our activities and our unique experiences and I thank you for having shared your feedback.

Six Senses Hotels Resorts and Spas, being part of the local fabric and culture, stands firm on our ethos and is very much in tune with the wider and modern world. We aim to make sure that our facilities and services cater to our guests’ needs to make them feel at home while away from home.

PAthePA, our little island paradise is always yours to enjoy anytime you wish to return! Your awesome GEM Auzam, the team and I, we would all be very much delighted if given the pleasure to welcome you back soon. Until then,

With warm regards,

#1 of 2 in Gan Island
Pallazo Laamu
Pallazo Laamu
#1 of 4 in Gan Island

Been to Six Senses Laamu? Share your experiences!