“Relaxing & enjoyable stay”
Review of Six Senses Laamu

Six Senses Laamu
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olhuveli Island
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at Six Senses Laamu almost a year ago and I'm wishing that I could go back! The water villas were great, the food was delicious and the staff were friendly. I enjoyed that we could bike to get to where we wanted to go. Plus we had fun doing yoga as a family. I would definitely recommend this place!

Also check out more pictures on my blog: misscuriouslyhungry.blogspot.com

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CuriouslyHungry
SixSensesLaamu, General Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear CuriouslyHungry,

Warm greetings from Six Senses Laamu!

Thank you very much for posting your review and for your positive recommendation to our readers and followers. We love to read the great experience you had at our resort; your feedback on our water villa accommodation, food offerings, staff service and yoga activity are very much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

marteyne@sixsenses.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,329)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

After the recent trip to Maldives and look back to all the 9 resorts I've stayed, I am now able to confirm Six Senses Lammu was my best stay so far. I took some time to organize photos (out of couple thousands) for this post, they tell how good Laamu is.

I feel I did not give a fair justice to my previous review on Laamu for rating 4 points only, but the last review are having more detail information about my stay:

Room Tip: Try to avoid Lagoon beach villa due to the erosion and sand bags. Ocean Villa facing west on Jetty...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Frequent T
SixSensesLaamu, General Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear FrequentT,

Wow! You have made us so proud to know that Six Senses Laamu is your top choice amongst the many resorts you have visited in Maldives; and receiving a 5-star review this time from you as our repeater guest gives us such an amazing feeling! We greatly appreciate your feedback...

The underwater photos you have shared which were taken from our house reef are wonderful, thank you for sharing these to our readers and followers.

We thank you as well for your very detailed feedback from your previous TripAdvisor review and what matters now is we have surpassed your experience from your first stay with us and that means our continuous effort to improve has been achieved. But this won’t stop us from here as we will continue striving for the best to always exceed our guests’ expectations. Please be assured that we will pass your wonderful comments to the team who are all working hard to always provide the highest standard of service and total satisfaction for our guests.

FrequentT, it was a pleasure to have you with us once again and we all look forward to your next visit at Six Senses Laamu.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 5 nights here on our honeymoon and have to say everything is just as the pictures show it. 5 nights was enough however we could have spent much more time here easily. All the staff were awesome, standout staff were Ali our GEM and Oscar the sommelier, who served us for our wine dinner and cheese tasting experiences has to be commended for his service and friendliness throughout our stay. It has taken almost 2 months to write this post as I couldn't and still can't explain how great our experience was during our stay. Not a bad word can be said about our experience apart from one of the dive staff who was a little abrupt and unfriendly, however everyone else was awesome. The staff must say hello about 1000 times a day to guests but keep
On smiling and making you feel so welcome. Our villa was unexplainably awesome, cleaned at least twice a day and we never ran out of anything including sparkling water which we could not drink enough of. We still can't believe we have been there as it still feels like a dream. Heaven on earth is one way it can be described but don't think this even explains it. We are saving now for our 10 year anniversary and hopefully can stay longer. The one issue we do have is we ate far too much great food and are still trying to lose the weight we gained. Not to mention the endless ice cream on our full board package. Please let us back we promise not to eat so much next time, haha

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank NewcastleVon

Dear NewcastleVon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your holiday experience at Six Senses Laamu. It is a pleasure to read that you truly had a great experience during your stay with us and for describing our little paradise like a ‘heaven on earth’ – it really gives us a wonderful feeling to read your feedback and we greatly appreciate you sharing this to our readers.

I will personally ensure that your recognition for Ali, your GEM and Oscar, your Wine Sommelier, will be shared to them and to the whole team as this will inspire and encourage them more to excel in what they are doing. I am however disappointed to know about your experience with one of our dive staffs and please feel free to share more this experience with me so we can take corrective measures.

Once again, thank you for your comments and time and in behalf of Six Senses Laamu team, we all look forward to welcoming you back for your 10th year anniversary.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This place is amazing, took quite a bit to get to but well Wirth the trip. The food could be better, but the resort and surroundings made up for everything. We stayed in an overwater bungalow thing. And easily it's the best place I've been to. Ask the staff to make you some local food it's very nice. The spa was great, which you would expect from a six senses.

Room Tip: Over water bungalow is a must.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tpbrandon
SixSensesLaamu, General Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Tpbrandon,

Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay at Six Senses Laamu. I am very pleased to hear that you have truly enjoyed your stay with us at the resort and for sharing this to our readers.

Your feedback is truly appreciated and I do look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Arranged for honeymoon in Low season end May/Beginning June. Weather was perfect (note the weather is not guaranteed obviously and we had simply good luck, a couple of weeks prior to our arrival it rained every day for a fortnight apparently) You take the chance and you make the decision. I don't get the people who complain ? Destination perfect ! The staff are warm, friendly, efficient and nothing is too much trouble. We found the food to be varied, tasty and plenty. Only point to mention is the cost of drink, It is not cheap and does add up by the end of your stay. The facilities are good with plenty to do. Obviously it helps if you enjoy water ! The Villas on the jetties are amazing, i would opt for 'C' if you want total solitude. The dive school is recommended. As is the diving. The marine life is plentiful and exciting. It was my first time diving and i ended up getting my certificate. Sonia was fantastic as an instructor and recommended but all the staff were very friendly and helpful. I developed a huge case of job envy ! The spa is to be recommended......the most relaxing place on earth for us to date. I can not rate this island and experience highly enough. Our honeymoon was the perfect holiday. We will be returning for sure.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank giles_hampton
SixSensesLaamu, General Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear giles_hampton,

We are so happy to hear that you have truly enjoyed your holiday with us at Six Senses Laamu and for considering it as a perfect holiday!

It is a great pleasure to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed our various F&B offerings and resort experiences and services. Your kind comments have been shared with the team and please know that we are truly grateful. I have also personally shared your kind comments with Sonia, your dive instructor, who helped made your diving experience fantastic and exciting.

On behalf of the entire team, a very sincere Thank You!

Please feel free to get in touch with me directly regarding your next visit; it would be my pleasure to assist.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

A couple once told me they wouldn’t choose Maldives for their honeymoon because they were both active people, and the Maldivian concept would bore them. They couldn’t be more wrong.

My husband and I spent two weeks in paradise, also known as Six Senses Laamu. During this time, we certified ourselves as PADI Open Water scuba divers, got married, took a cooking class, joined wine tasting, a dolphin cruise, snorkeled, played volleyball with the staff, and tried lots of new foods and drinks. We had the best two weeks of our lives, and would highly recommend this amazing resort. We only have one single complaint: the knives! They should really considering getting knives that are sharp enough to cut through your food ;) In the following I would like to highlight a few of our experiences.

First of all! Don’t be afraid to book your trip during the low season. The weather forecast predicted rain and thunderstorms every day. With one exception, we never saw either. Also, the place is not very busy, and your favorite spot in the restaurant or bar is always available.

The hotel’s concept is “down to earth”. From the moment you enter the speedboat, you will be given a dust-bag for your shoes, and you will basically leave your shoes in that bag until you leave. The concept also serves a psychological purpose. It brings people together, makes us all equal. You might be a billionaire, celebrity, or a student – everyone gets treated the same way. And you will all say ‘hello’ when you pass one another on the bikes.

Not only is Six Senses Laamu paradise. It is your personally designed paradise. This is the place you may not only let your body relax, but also your mind. Your GEM (Guest Experience Manager) will listen to all your wishes, and arrange for everything. There are approximately 2,5 staff per guest, and it is highly noticeable. If you decide to join an activity, forget about time and space, and realize 30minutes too late that you should have been at another activity you booked – don’t worry. They already know you are late. And they will wait. And if your chain falls off your bike at midnight, and you leave your bike in the bike parking area instead of waking up your GEM and have it fixed – a new bike will be outside your villa the next morning! You don’t even have to tell anyone – they somehow just know!

One of the things we truly enjoyed was taking the PADI Open Water course. The diving instructors were absolutely amazing. We would like to give some extra attention to our instructor Serge. Not only is he a diver-enthusiast, he is also a paramedic, and specializes in dive courses for people with disabilities and handicaps. He showed such interest in his field, spent so much time explaining the diving theory for us, being patient. He is so good at what he is doing, and by preparing you for each dive and exercise; he will make you feel very comfortable in the water. He has one rule: no one dies! And it is such a good rule. Serge will not get mad if you accidently make a mistake every now and then. As long as you don’t die, he is patient, happy, and understanding! We would highly recommend everyone to take a dive with Serge.

I also have to mention! Because of an ear surgery I had a few years back, Serge wanted me to get a clearance from a doctor stating that it was safe for me to dive (Safety first!). Our GEM then took me to a clinic in one of the neighboring islands. When the doctor wasn’t present, he then arranged for me to go to the hospital, which involved a speedboat trip to the airport-island, and then a 30min cab-drive. He went with us, and on our way back, he stopped the cab to buy us both a local, fresh coconut-drink! And the most extraordinary thing about it all: We didn’t have to pay for it! 30min in speedboat (each way), hospital bill, taxi. (But of course, we tipped our GEM back). Our holiday wouldn’t have been the same if it weren’t for our GEM, Auzam!

Our wedding at the sandbank was absolutely beautiful. The photographer was amazing, and truly dedicated to her work. She took plenty of pictures, and gave us a CD with 150 absolutely beautiful shots. The day started out with amazing spa, photo shoot, and then the ceremony at the sandbank with Maldivian band, cake and sparkling wine. After the ceremony we enjoyed a sunset dolphin cruise, and finally dinner at the beach in privacy. The bed decoration afterwards was also fantastic. What a great day!

Winetasting with Oscar was also amazing! We enjoyed learning about the wines, grapes etc. And Oscar is such a fun guy to be around. He would always help us out with wine during our dinners, and he was always so cheerful! Also the cooking class was fun. As Indian-food-lovers, we choose an Indian cooking class. We got to watch and learn how all the ingredients are put together and made into the most delicious meals. The chefs were all more than willing to give us both restaurant recipes, and family recipes! We are so excited to try this at home!

We spent most of our nights at the Chill Bar. We did also have most of our lunches at this place. It is so…CHILL! The guys working there are absolutely amazing. There are no fake smiles – you can tell they truly love their jobs! Always so nice and helpful, and they make you want to stay all night. And the best part of it all – 6 nights a week you can enjoy DJ Garry Tee – the most fantastic person you will ever meet! You simply cannot be unhappy when he is around! He loves his audience – and regardless of the number of guests in the bar – he is on top. We are going to miss him so much!

We also enjoyed all the staff! The ice cream lady who was so excited to see you every day, who truly loved ice cream, and all the guests! The marine biologist, Rachael, would (with an enormous amount of enthusiasm) educate us on turtles, corals, and wild life in the area. There is always a smile on her face! You feel like tipping all the staff all the time, but our budget unfortunately didn’t allow us to do so (especially given the fact that there are about 300 employees). Our wish is that this review will be given attention so that especially the people listed here, could get a recognition. They made this holiday better than we could ever imagine. Oh! If you like to play volleyball, but hate all the dumb rules, keeping track of scores, and experts – ask Garry Tee and Rachael to play with you. We had a blast!

Finally, I would also like to mention the food. I know some people complain about the selection. Well, the breakfast is by far the best I have ever had! Fresh fruit, Prosecco, smoothie, hot and cold food, amazing cheese (yes, don’t forget to stop by the Wine Cellar during breakfast!!), pancakes, ten pages juice menu (and you may also order your own mix). It is simply unbelievable! I too thought the lunch and dinner menus were quite limited in its selection. HOWEVER! One of the first thing the chefs will tell you is that if there is ANYTHING else you would like that you cannot find on the menu – they will make it for you! So no need to complain. Just ask for whatever it is that you want, and they will make it. After all – all they want is to make YOU happy.

Room Tip: Yetty C is furthest away, and will give you more privacy. However, stay out of the side that faces t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lina-Maria L

Dear LinaML,

Our warmest greetings from Six Senses Laamu!

Your fantastic and very positive review has made us so proud of what we have achieved. It feels so heart warming that you have greatly appreciated the effort that all our team members are continuously working on to provide the best service and truly ‘wow’ you and all our guests! A big and sincere thank you from the team for all the recognitions – this will inspire them more to keep up the good work; and again, thank you very much for the kind words for all the hosts you have mentioned, I will personally share it with them.

Your comment regarding the knives is well-noted and we thank you for your keen observations.

We are extremely happy that we were able to provide you the most unique and most memorable experience so far and we are truly grateful for you for taking the time to post such very pleasant TripAdvisor review.

Please let us know when you intend to come back and it will be our pleasure to help you plan your next visit. Again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Six Senses Laamu for a week in June. This is the low season, but we've been to the Maldives previously in June and the weather has always been great. We were really impressed by the resort, the laid back vibe is fantastic and the decor in the manages to balance being modern, comfortable and stylish whilst having a very 'eco' vibe (eg: top of the range bose sound systems in wooden water villas... you get the idea).

We satayed in an ocean villa, which was very spacious with a huge balcony, roof deck and outdoor bathroom. Really you could spend all day at the villa as there were enough spaces to move around. The ocean villas are a little more expensive than the lagoon villas despite being the exact same layout - although when we arrived we weren't sure it was worth the extra money, they are less overlooked than the lagoon villas but that was all. I do think there was a pretty big difference between the water villas and the beach villas though, the water villas seemed far nicer, so I'm glad we booked one.

We were on jetty C which was great for us as it was more private being the furthest away from the main resort. Bikes are provided to cycle - anyone reading this review has probably read the few negative reviews of this resort so may have read one feedback comment that jetty C is a 20 minute mountain bike away from the main resort - this is nonsense, the cycle takes only 3 / 4 minutes and the maldives are thankfully completely flat and mountain free so it's an easy ride. If you want to be walking distance from the rest of the resort request Jetty A, which also has access to the best snorkelling, but is less private as people will be snorkelling outside your villa.

Service was great - attentive without being in your face, GEM (called a butler in other six senses resorts) only ever a phone call away. We booked a half board package which I'd strongly advise to anyone, as the food is really very expensive. The half board package means you don't need to worry about the cost of food and just have to shell out for drinks, which are very expensive but that's normal for the Maldives. The food was really excellent quality, the best we have had at a resort hotel, and the wine list was fantastic.

We went diving twice during our stay, with David who did a great job. I'm not a qualified diver although have previously been allowed out on dives with dive masters who didn't mind bending the rules. David refused to let me dive without taking a class first, which I respected and appreciated he was being responsible. The classroom lesson was actually really fun and meant I was more confident in the water. The reefs around the island are really brilliant - packed with beautiful fish, lots of hard coral and plenty of turtles.

The gym is really good - I'd reccomend trying a class if you visit, as they are on a beautiful platform with a view of the ocean. Perfect for yoga classes etc.

I really struggle to think of anything to fault about the island but to be balanced I'll try... the watersports centre is well stocked but Steve the manager seemed to be permanently on a break which was annoying when trying to sort out kit. Food is incredibly expensive if you're not on a half board or full board package. The beach is lovely, but doesn't have much of a vibe as most people use the balconies on their villas and there isn't any service on the beach (not even anyone to bring you water) which is unusual for a 5* resort. But not a huge problem. Oh, and there isn't a swimming pool, which we did miss actually.

Room Tip: Top tip: bring plenty of insect repellant. The island is fooged twice a day but sand flies are stil...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
SixSensesLaamu, General Manager at Six Senses Laamu, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear NinaGrant,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at our resort and for sharing this positive review on Six Senses Laamu. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and impression on our villa accommodation, food and wine offerings and resort experiences and services. It is truly a pleasure to read your wonderful feedback about the resort.

Your comment regarding Watersports has been well-taken and your point will be brought to the attention of Steve.

I am also sorry to know about your disappointment on the beach service to which we are taking strong measure to improve upon. The swimming pool is in our project list; we are currently working on its structural plan and design and hopefully it will materialize soon.

Please know that I have shared your kind comments with David, your Dive Instructor and your TripAdvisor review was shared to the whole team as your feedback will serve as a strong encouragement to all of our hosts.

Again, thank you very much for your review. We hope that you can visit us again in the not so distant future and that we can surpass your experience on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Olhuveli Island
11 mi away
Pallazo Laamu
Pallazo Laamu
#2 of 4 in Gan Island

Been to Six Senses Laamu? Share your experiences!