Came back couple of weeks ago from a 7 nights stay in the Six Senses Laamu with my Husband, in summary Fantastic Retreat. Selected this hotel based on our excellent experience with the Sex Senses Zighy Bay and the SS Laamu was at par in terms of the total experience.
A Luxurious Eco-Friendly Hotel with great respect to the environment around it while maintaining the level of service you expect from a luxury chain.
Obviously there is no hotel in the world with no shortfalls thus here are the Pros and Cons in my opinion:
- Lovely Villas, we tried The Ocean Water Villa both in Pier A and B for 4 nights and The Ocean Beach Villa for 3 nights. Read the specs on their website and see photos, what you see is what you will get for real in terms of the Villa’s Interior.
- Great Reef around the hotel for snorkeling, start from the Chill Bar and make your way to the SandBank while keeping Pier A on your right. That’s the best snorkel path there. Also they mention in their website that you can see Dolphins from the hotel deck and that is completely true, we spotted a group of dolphins once and they were so close and clear, it was amazing. Message is you don’t need to leave the hotel to enjoy great marine life.
- Excellent food in general with few exceptions. The Vietnamese Lunch at Leaf Restaurant, Dinner at the Japanese restaurant, French Dinner at The Leaf, Lobster Barbeque also at The Leaf and the several buffets and dinners at Logitude were just amazing. But some items on the menu in the Chill Bar were a complete disappointment; like (just for example) the Pizza; it was clearly made from a Ready Made Pizza Crust and the Cheese was not properly melted! Another example from The Bar Menu is the Chicken Salad, The Veggie Panini and the Arabic Mezza Platter which was a complete joke!
- The reception, Bar and few restaurants are located over the water on an elevated platform like the over-water villas, this offers such a nice atmosphere and a change to the regular in-the-jungle dining you get in the Maldives. This spot of the hotel is very vibrant and offers an entertaining ambiance for couples who would like some slight action during the day or in the evening.
-There was some sort of entertainment activity every night during our stay, Cocktail Parties, Jungle Cinema, Live Music under the stars…
- Excellent Airport Service. Upon arrival to Male International Airport we were greeted by the hotel’s representative who guided us to a Private Lounge where we waited for him to finish the check-in process for our domestic flight to Kadhdhoo Airport. Once you get to Kadhdhoo the relaxation process kicks in, such a chill small airport. From there we were escorted by another hotel employee to the private boat of the hotel, the trip took us 15 min where we were received by a member of Senior Management a British gentleman who was very charming throughout our stay.
- Each guest gets allocated a GEM (Guest Experience Manager) who takes care of all guest needs, our GEM was EXCELLENT! His name is Waheed, he didn’t spare an effort to execute every single request we had and trust me we were not easy .
- The 3 piers for the over-water villas are completely different so it really depends on your luck when it comes to your villa’s location. We booked a (Ocean Water Villa) which is a higher category than the (Lagoon Water Villa) and the hotel’s website mentions the following about it (Ocean Water Villas face towards the main ocean with views and are far away from the main island). Upon check-in we were allocated to a villa in Pier B on the left side thus over villa overlooked Pier A and had a small side view of the open ocean, the other pier is pretty far away (will give them that) but for me this is not an Ocean View and not what I have paid for thus we insisted on getting relocated to another villa preferably on Pier A the left side since it has unobstructed view. Our GEM acted swiftly and managed to find a suitable Villa on Pier A which will freed up after 2 nights. Now the difference in view is substantial that’s why it really depends on your luck. Btw we sent the hotel a request upon our booking asking for a villa on the left side of pier A but since they were fully booked they couldn’t accommodate us immediately. Yet please note that Pier B was much more quiet than A which was busy with Buggy traffic because it’s a longer pier thus it has much more villas to be serviced.
- For Beach Villas. We also booked an Ocean Beach Villa; the one which we checked in was fantastic, absolute privacy, really nice outdoors setting and upper deck setting. Yet while walking on the beach I noticed that other villas did not enjoy the privacy we enjoyed from the beach side and upon checkout from the hotel we heard few guests complaining about their beach access from their Beach Villas.
- The hotel was 100% booked, I know a lot of luxury hotels keep their occupancy rate around 85-95% for multiple of good reasons but this hotel clearly allow itself to be stretched to the max which is something we could clearly feel. For example; Breakfast Buffet (which takes place in Logitude restaurant) at certain periods of the morning is a Maniac Event and the first sentence you get faced with once you check in to the restaurant is (Sorry Sir/Madam, we are full. You can pick a table in the Chill Bar and have the Buffet), this is not acceptable, each time we ignore the staff and look for a table ourselves and actually find one. Nevertheless I have to mention that the restaurant manager and one of his senior staff called Adam were always above excellence in their attitude and service.
- When you are walking around the hotel you are rarely alone in the path. There’s always guests on their bikes or loads and loads of staff members on their bikes also. It’s not serene walking around the hotel! And again the reason is the hotel was 100% booked.
- Some staff members in the restaurants were a bit rough around the edges especially in the Chill Bar but on the other hand they have personnel who are so charming and courteous they make you forget immediately the bad experience you faced with others.
This trip was planned as our BabyMoon thus I couldn’t do much of Water Sports so I cannot comment on the Diving Experience or other activities but I managed to do some snorkeling in the hotel’s Reef few times which was great.
Also I have not tried the Spa personally because of the pregnancy yet my husband had a fantastic treatment and was very pleased with the SPA and he is a very picky individual when it comes to SAPs.
Overall I highly recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dolphins spin all along the shores of Six Senses Laamu, located in the pristine Laamu Atoll. From Male’ Airport, it is just a forty minute flight along the beautiful Maldivian coastline followed by a short speed boat trip. Offering 97 villas, both overwater and on the beach, and an abundance of dining options, water sports, spa and other great activities. Service is second to none with your butler overseeing every need from arrival to departure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, MrandMrsSmith, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo, Priceline, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Six Senses Laamu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 6 Senses Laamu
- Six Senses Laamu Hotel Olhuveli Island
- Six Senses Laamu Laamu Atoll, Maldives