My sister and I went to The Beach Africa in February 2011 (we were in Kenya on business)as we heard loads about it. I have travelled all over the globe and stayed in all sorts of places, from the low cost no frills to luxury hotels. The Beach is a no frills place and they do not profess it to be any other than that. It is in a amazin spot, very tranquill and quiet, away from the hassle and bustle of traffic, crowds etc and has a great secluded beach with no annoying harassment from beach boys, part of the beach has coral but that helps with nature, load of wild birds and kingfishers and a safe haven for small fish, crabs etc. We were excited to try the seafood which we heard about, and had already priced up what it would have cost us in restaurants in Mombasa Island and some of the beach hotel restaurants and believe me it was just what we expected. We even went as far as ordering ourselves 2 starters and 2 main dishes each because it was so cheap and so fresh, the lobsters and prawns melted in our mouths. I would definitely go there again when we return in December to chill out and enjoy a fab meal. I would recommend The Beach anytime and even the locals love the place. I am lost at all the bad reviews and I have found that in the past years some travellers just like to moan and whinge about everything, i:e distance from the road, insects, the heat extra,you are in Africa not Europe and I must say there wasn't one taxi that did not know where The Beach was, it is a way to get there but was well worth it. The are many places that are a way away from anything like the game parks etc, would they whinge about that too.... I would say try it to make up your own mind.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This place is for everyone who wants to break out of the normal wheel, to come back to the simplicity of life and its natural beauty. Overseeing the Indian Ocean, at the entrance of a Mangrove creek, surrounded by a local Fishermans village & historical sites, away from the rest of the world, the Beach is hidden and wants to be discovered. Stranded here, those moments of life one spends at the Beach become timeless. The Beach Bandas are built in a unique African style, the meals are freshly prepared on a local charcoal grill, and if someone wants to break out for a nightlife session, Mtwapa itself is a young and hip town, that offers many interesting places... It should be noted that the hostel and its amenities are no longer associated with the "BAR" these are shortly to become 2 separate co-located business's. However, guests at the hostels will be most welcome in the revised bar. The proposed name of the bar will be Sunset Havana, partially due to superb views and ambience. Clearly major changes will take time, but be assured of revised (downward) prices and standards of cleanliness and friendliness ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your The Beach Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Beach Africa Hotel Mtwapa
- The Beach Africa Mtwapa, Kenya