“Awesome weekend with family”

Ramada Resort Shoal Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shoal Bay
“Awesome weekend with family”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I had booked a 2 night stay here and after booking read some recent reviews and was approaching the short holiday with some trepidation!

All of my concerns were completely unfounded! I booked a 2 bedroom apartment and requested "side water views".

We arrived at 10am, several hours before scheduled check-in, but thought it would be worth checking to see if our room was available before we started our schedule of busy activities, with the expectation of having to leave our luggage in the car until early afternoon.

I was greeted at reception by Mikayla who said she would check, but we were very early. We were in luck, our room was available. Keys were provided, and we were given very clear directions to our car park and room on the 6th floor of the Barrington building. Our water glimpses were more than I expected - we had beautiful full water views to the eastern side of Shoal Bay and the room was clean and spacious, large balcony, fully equipped kitchen, large fridge and 2 bathrooms (one with on-suite spa bath), 2 x 2 seater lounges, large flat screen TV. The second room was booked with 2 x single beds, however, this was configured as a king bed.

We unpacked and on our way to walk Mt Tomaree (sic), we stopped at reception, again greeted by the extremely helpful and friendly Mikayla. I jadvised that the second room was configured as a king, could it please be reconfigured as 2 singles (mentioning we were early). She said it was in the booking and it would be done between 12 and 3pm.

We proceeded on our climb of the mountain - a must do when you are here - the views were absolutely stunning. We came back around 2pm and housekeeping were cleaning the room across the corridor, so we had a quick lunch changed clothes and were delivered a cheese and fruit platter by none other than Mikayla from reception. We drove to Nelson Bay and enjoyed the marina, purchased some local prawns, oysters from the co-op and went to the Coles to buy some groceries to make oysters kilpatrick, ice cream and the like so we could spend the evening relaxing in our room and on the balcony to enjoy the views - which we have done and I am now writing this review from the lounge room.

I highly commend this resort - it is very large, so it may be possible some of the rooms are not to the standard of the room we had, but the staff have been exceptional, the room we are in is extremely clean and exceeded my expectations. Everything in the kitchen works perfectly, I purchased dish washing detergent for 99 cents from Coles as there was only dishwashing machine powder in the room and I wanted to wash our plates and cutlery so we can use it again for breakfast and lunch tomorrow.

I cannot fault the facilities or the service, it is not up to the extremely high standard of resorts we have stayed in the Pacific Islands, but we have the convenience of a full kitchen and 2 bedrooms and bathrooms, and for the deal we got, it is much better value for money.

Thank you very much to Mikayla, to the housekeeping staff and the management who run this resort - my kids are already asking if we can come back in summer. We will be back and will recommend this to our friends!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with water glimpses - we got a room with full water views - it was winter, but the mi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Shirefamilyholiday

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My partner and I have stayed at this resort on numerous occasions. We stayed here recently and were not impressed to say the least. We have stayed in multiple resorts across the country and this resort seems to be the only resort within the 4.5 star range that gets the little things wrong on repeated occasions without any interest in resolving them.

The rating of this "Resort" is 4.5 star so the Resort itself is setting a very high expectation for its patrons, especially given the price point charged to patrons. The Resort by no means meets this standard. If the rating of the resort was lower, maybe patrons would be a little more forgiving. We expected the resort to have improved since being taken over by Ramada, but unfortunately this was not the case.

1. Our bed was not made on the second day. The house keeping staff member came in to change the towels and replace ins, but unfortunately omitted to make the bed. This is a part of the basic service that they advertise on their own sticker near the kitchen inside the room. We arrived home later this night so just made the bed ourselves in the end.

2. Lap pool & steam room not working. When we reported this to Reception they became aggressive and provided us the line that it's not within their control as it's a part of the Lattouf Hair Salon facility. At the end of the day it’s a part of the Ramada complex and Ramada's website itself advertises the fact that a Spa facility is available. This is false advertising. Staff were uncaring about these facilities not being functional and nor were we told they were not functional when making a booking.

Overall, the majority of the staff are very friendly but they are not empowered to resolve patrons complaints. We will not be returning.

Room Tip: If you want 4.5 star look elsewhere.
5 Thank kingsford1
Ramada S, Front Office Manager at Ramada Resort Shoal Bay, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Kingsford1,
We thank you for taking the time to review our resort and provide us with feedback that is always taken as constructive. We take feedback such as yours very seriously, as it helps us to improve our services to our very valued guests and provide our guests with the best possible experience during their time with us.
After our recent telephone conversation regarding your recent stay here at Ramada Resort Shoal Bay, we very much hope you will take us up on our offer and have you come back and visit us again in the near future.
Again, we sincerely thank you for your feedback and it was a pleasure speaking with you.
Kind Regards,
Management
Ramada Resort Shoal Bay.

Travelers are raving about these Shoal Bay hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in many places in my time, but I never never felt the so strongly as I do now about writing a review. I stayed here mid week for work and thought it would be a nice change from staying in Nelson Bay, I thought wrong! I was placed in the zenith apartment block which is a the very back of resort ( if you could call it that) the apartments backed onto horrible units so you had to keep your curtains shut, and the overall feel of the place felt like you where no longer staying near a beautiful beach location . The apartment it self had very old furniture and was tried and run down looking, found many long hairs and pubic hairs in the bed......
As I was staying mid week and it was the middle of June and the resort is massive I would have thought I would maybe been placed in a better room, as the resort seemed empty. I come up here often for work and if I was really impressed it would be somewhere I would return with my partner. I will never return!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
9 Thank Hayley M
Sydney Aust
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night thank goodness. We stayed in the Watermark apartments. They neglected to have anywhere on the website that they were doing renovations. We arrived and got told the room was not ready, even though it was two had to wait half an hour, which wasn't too bad just think customer service would have been improved if they offered us a complimentary coffee?
Went up to our room and had to negotiate over electrical cords of builders. Whilst we were unpacking a builder tried to come into our room.
Had a lovely walk on the beach beautiful spot and would recommend a visit to the lookout cafe in Nelsons Bay. View is spectacular.
The next morning we were woken at 6.50 by a builder talking on his mobile phone outside our door. Really think for the price pretty poor. A positive he bed was comfy.

7 Thank Firsttime09
newcastle
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and i stayed at the heritage Apartments in the front part of the complex
check in was short and pleasant
the rooms are neat and tidy,clean
the furniture looks a bit out of date and aged but had its own charm so to speak
looking right over the beach from the balcony is a plus
we also indulged into the massage package which i recommend highly
to the management i suggest urgent that WIFI is an absolute must these days without being charged extra..it is 2014 after all
apart from that..all sweet bananas

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sinergy436
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Decided to stay at the Ramada in shoal bay for the June long weekend. Good location close to the beach, nice view of the bay and hills. Room was clean and spacious.

Poor facilities, had no hot water at all, shower was designed for someone under 5ft, so was fun having to crouch under whilst been blasted with cold water.

I had to turn off the fridge in the room as it was sounding like a truck at idle then started to develop a slipping fan belt.

Other minor annoyances included having allocated parking, but all the numbers in the car park had been painted over so good luck finding your "allocated car park", booking also included free wifi, which was also not provided. Couch had no cushions for some reason, and curtains had holes in them.

For the premium price Ramada charges I was expecting a fairly high end hotel, which it most certainly was not, customer service was indifferent to say the least, when I mentioned the issues to them after checking out, I didn't get even a sorry about that. The fact I didn't even get the customary "how was your stay", shows to me that they must get more the few unhappy customers.

7 Thank Sean M
Forbes, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I recently stayed at the Ramada Shoal Bay Resort and I could not have had a more delightful experience. They reception was absolutely A+ and the accommodation was of the highest standard. I enjoyed everything about the stay and would Definitely recommend it to anyone travelling to this area.

Room Tip: Go for the beachfront with a balcony!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
#8 of 16 in Nelson Bay
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
#1 of 1 in Salamander Bay

Been to Ramada Resort Shoal Bay? Share your experiences!