“Wonderful Stay at Shoal Bay Resort & Spa”

Ramada Resort Shoal Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shoal Bay
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at Shoal Bay Resort & Spa for girls weekend away. We stayed in room 506 which had a great balcony with ocean views. Our room was very clean and spacious. It had everything we needed plus the stunning views. Shoal Bay is quaint and resort is across the road from the beach! The strip of shops and restaurants have all you need. We also enjoyed time using spa facilities (included in stay).

Room Tip: Room 506 had great balcony with ocean views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
RodHearn, General Manager at Ramada Resort Shoal Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Simone B,

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is great to hear that you loved your Barrington apartment (506), especially the magnificent views that are available from this room type. We are very fortunate to be located so close to the beach, shops, restaurants and cafés within Shoal Bay and able to offer this to all of our guests. We are also very glad that you and your friends enjoyed yourselves in the Aqua Spa wellbeing sanctuary and its facilities during your stay.

We look forward to you returning to Shoal Bay Resort & Spa and hope to see you soon.

Kind Regards
Rod Hearn

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Me and some friends stayed at Shoal Bay resort for a few days, we went up there mainly for a fishing trip so it was awesome staying so close to the beach/fishing spots. The staff were always polite and helpful and our rooms were nice and tidy. Also had alot of fun nights at the pub right next door, would definitely go again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time I have stayed here, this time we happened to have a work function. I am so amazed at some of these reviews, because once again, my time here was great. We were greeted by friendly staff who were only too happy to help my colleagues and , and are clearly so proud of the area (once you see the beach you will see why). Our rooms were great, catch restaurant was perfect (again) and nothing was a bother from the moment we started organising our function from the time we left. I would highly recommend this place to any family wanting a great location, any business looking to mix work with pleasure and anyone who may just want to unwind. Thank you shoal bay resort and spa for looking after my colleagues and I . From what I hear they will all be back, I know I will !

• Stayed: August 2013
RodHearn, General Manager at Ramada Resort Shoal Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Travelpun,
Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Shoal Bay Resort & Spa. We are very lucky to have you as a returning customer. We are also pleased to hear that you loved your room, Catch restaurant and the service that our staff were able to provide you with.
Thank you for your recommending Shoal Bay Resort & Spa.
We look forward to seeing yourself and your colleagues again soon.

Regards
Rod Hearn

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was recently booked to stay here for a work conference.

To be honest I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, however my expectations were blown out of the water.

The service was 5 star, my colleagues and I were treated like royalty!!

the staff went out of the way to make sure we had everything we needed

The facilities were amazing, especially the spa and gym.

I loved it so much that I extended 3 days and had my wife come and join me!

All our future conferences will be held here and I cant wait!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank James H
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here with our daughter for a long weekend away. We have stayed in Shoal Bay before and love the location for a get away. I must say however we were quite disappointed with the accommodation and service for the price. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment in the Barrington quarters. The rooms are quite dated and certainly need a bit of a revamp as all the fittings are quite cheap. I also found parts of the room was not cleaned very well (eg. There was still a full ashtray on our balcony upon check in and the robes in the wardrobe had obviously not been replaced as they smelt like a mans aftershave!).
In terms of service, there was no effort to assist from any of the staff to enhance the stay. On checking in, no explanation of the facilities, check in/out, times for breakfast, laundry facilities etc. It was basically like "here is your key and room number". I thought there may be a compendium in the room listing the facilities etc, but there wasn't.

There is certainly a lot of opportunity to improve this resort.

Overall this resort is in a fantastic location but for the quality of accommodation and service in mind of the price, you could definitely find better value!

1  Thank Danelle G
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great location everything at hotel don't need your car to go anywhere as everything is located at the hotel beach at your door step staff nice go out of there way for us seafood excellent
Would go again

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We booked this hotel for a couple nights through hotels.com for the upcoming Xmas season- mostly for it's location. Based on the very mixed reviews we decided to set our expectations VERY low.

Good thing we did because we made the mistake of not clicking we had two children and assumed by booking a 1-bed apartment WITH a sofa bed, meant no charge for an 'extra bed'. WRONG.

I just got off the phone with their reservations people who called because I had not been charged the obligatory $40/night to MAKE UP THE SOFA BED. Seriously. We've never experienced this before- an additional charge to make-up a bed already in a room?! We've travelled extensively with our kids and never had this. Is this an Aus thing, or they do it just to gouge you?

Not a good way to kick-off a first experience with this place- we're not even there yet.

It's not that I really care about the extra charge at this point (I do find it a bit obscene), it was simply the aggressive (though polite I have to say) manner in which the staff pursued this with me- even relating their personal experience with being charged for this at hotels. I'm sorry, but not relevant.

I don't know if they thought I was trying to get away with getting the place cheaper- after flying half-way 'round the world, renting a car for a couple weeks, and planning on driving up and down the coast, an extra $80 is really neither here nor there, but if I took the approach these people do with my customers, I wouldn't have any. We're seriously looking for a different place at this point.

If we still stay here in the end, I will update you all.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
#8 of 16 in Nelson Bay
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
#1 of 1 in Salamander Bay

Been to Ramada Resort Shoal Bay? Share your experiences!