“Bad service- and haven't even stayed there yet”

Ramada Resort Shoal Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shoal Bay
Hong Kong, China
“Bad service- and haven't even stayed there yet”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We booked this hotel for a couple nights through hotels.com for the upcoming Xmas season- mostly for it's location. Based on the very mixed reviews we decided to set our expectations VERY low.

Good thing we did because we made the mistake of not clicking we had two children and assumed by booking a 1-bed apartment WITH a sofa bed, meant no charge for an 'extra bed'. WRONG.

I just got off the phone with their reservations people who called because I had not been charged the obligatory $40/night to MAKE UP THE SOFA BED. Seriously. We've never experienced this before- an additional charge to make-up a bed already in a room?! We've travelled extensively with our kids and never had this. Is this an Aus thing, or they do it just to gouge you?

Not a good way to kick-off a first experience with this place- we're not even there yet.

It's not that I really care about the extra charge at this point (I do find it a bit obscene), it was simply the aggressive (though polite I have to say) manner in which the staff pursued this with me- even relating their personal experience with being charged for this at hotels. I'm sorry, but not relevant.

I don't know if they thought I was trying to get away with getting the place cheaper- after flying half-way 'round the world, renting a car for a couple weeks, and planning on driving up and down the coast, an extra $80 is really neither here nor there, but if I took the approach these people do with my customers, I wouldn't have any. We're seriously looking for a different place at this point.

If we still stay here in the end, I will update you all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ELV70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I travel alot for business and stay at different places in Oz, I must say I stayed at Shoal Bay Resort 6 years ago but things have changed for the worse since then... Firstly this resort is in need of a major renovation.. The staff are not very friendly and you can tell they dont want to be there.. When I had a shower the bath didnt have a shower screen so the water went everywhere and created a swimming pool on the floor... The main reason I stayed over nigth because I was travelling for long hours and needed a good sleep before a major drive the next day, Firstly let me say the matress was thin and uncomfortable. Second the room was full of dust mites, I was left scratching all night. Thirdly there is no room service available, strange for a "quality" establishment. A tent would have been cleaner. the management team should be ashamed of themselves.
To those who contemplate staying here, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Shoal Bay hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Decided to head up to Shoal Bay for a night away for our 26th wedding anniversary. Given that it can be quite difficult to find nice accommodation for a single night, Shoal Bay resort fit the bill nicely.

I had been on their website and was looking at some of the various room packages that they had available. On calling and inquiring about one of the packages that was available, but not quite what I was after, the girl I spoke to was extremely helpful. I was after a different room to the one on offer with that package. She was most helpful in moving things around in order to give me the upgraded room as part of the package, but not only that, also suggested that I change the package around slightly which provided not only everything I was looking for, but also at a cheaper price. This is very rare these days and goes over and above what most people would expect. I only wish I had her name in order to thank her personally.

The apartment was very spacious and well laid out, with a king size bed, lounge, bathroom with corner spa and a kitchen. Beautiful views over the bay from both the lounge and the balcony off it.

We ate in one of the on site restaurants. We chose the more down market venue as after having had quite a large lunch we were not overly hungry. Good pub comfort food I guess you could call it, and was quite tasty and reasonably priced overall.

Overall a great night away, room great, food great and staff very friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: Heritage overlooking the Bay
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My hubby and I stayed at the resort last weekend , we had a wedding to go the wedding was fantastic congratulations Justin & Bec
the room was great ,great view of the bay across the road we stayed in (white sands)
I loved the spa after a big day and night in heels it was very relaxing
we took the late check out .the staff were very helpful and could not do enough for us
definatly be back
thank you shoal bay resort for my short stay but enjoyable

Room Tip: White sands Have great Views over looking the bay
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Overall we had a great time last weekend. The view is amazing, the room was clean and tidy but definately needs a makeover or some more modern furniture. Staff were friendly but not as healpful as i have had at other places. Would go back but would like a nicer room

Room Tip: Get the nicest room with a view!
Sydney
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Beware people -this is the most disappointing stay in any place to date, and I have just returned from OS where most all accommodation was excellent in many countries.
5 Star .... cost? 2 Star.

This resort is rated HIGHLY but offers very little,and staff have limited knowledge.
Twin Room - tired and shabby -1 set of towels for 2 people, no bath mat, mildew on bathroom tiles, air-con not working properly.
Restaurant (same complex) - most disgusting sea food buffet ever, looked days old (only 5 customers in a room for over 100 diners).
No response from management when offered written constructive criticism.
Travelers' should know this!!.Looks great on the internet, but NOT in reality!!!
2 Star...... cost? 5 Star !!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lyndilooSydney
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

My partner and i stayed in the barrington tower as a gift to ourselves before our baby was born in 2months time. Fantastic room it was everything we thought it would be spectacular views. Staff were very helpful and bubbly (key to great customer service). And services provided were above our expectations. Will be returning again for sure. And will be recommending to all of our friends.

• Stayed July 2013
#8 of 16 in Nelson Bay
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
#1 of 1 in Salamander Bay

Been to Ramada Resort Shoal Bay? Share your experiences!