“Great destination” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ramada Resort Shoal Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shoal Bay
“Great destination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I loved this place. Right across from an amazing beach, plenty of dining and drinking options, great pool and the aqua spa is amazing. The staff are very friendly and personally, I felt they went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. A great destination and a great way to relax. Will be back

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed for a weekend in November. Bad service at check in and rooms dirty.. Complained but told there was no other rooms available. Was so looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend and was sadly disappointed. This hotel has gone so downhill over the lat few years... I will never be visiting again.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Smileytraveller99

Travelers are raving about these Shoal Bay hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed at shoal bay resort on the 15th January,had side water view in barrington building which was very nice,went to spa which was also good although I think the age should be lowered for children from 14 to 12 with an adult.

Went to country club for dinner & had fish & chips for $18.00.
The meal had salad although the fish was disappointing,cheap shark with a MASSIVE amount
Of batter which you had to carve through to find the fish.
My daughter had kids snizetel which didn't look like fresh chicken breast, something frozen instead?
Also ate at buffet which is a bit pricey,found food cheap & prawns made in Thailand (no sign to state this)being a seaside suburb you would expect fresh local produce.

Save your money & go to Bobs fish & chips across the road a bit expensive but you always get good fish
& won't be disappointed.

Shame such a lovely resort but food quality poor!

Room Tip: Check to make sure waterfront rooms are not on the Main Street otherwise it will be very Noisy espe...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sydney,NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Jan 2013 but have previously stayed before.

Pros:
Central location in Nelson Bay
Lovely views overlooking sea and Tomaree (mountain)
Rooms serviced daily
Rooms packed with features such as a full kitchen, spa, TV and lounge (dependant on room type)
Spacious
Great facilities (several pools, dedicated spa and gym, pool room/common room)

Cons:
No Wi-Fi in room
Breakwater a little isolated from facilities

Would recommend, value was poor, but expected for the time of year.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dubbo, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Lunch in Promenade Room most disappointing.Paid $80.00 a head plus $25.00 for a window
table in all $425.00 for 5 adults. Sat looking at a wall....Told we had to vacat our table at 2pm
after arriving at 12.30pm ...had no prior knowledge of this .No tableclothes or placemats which
I think is very poor for Xmas lunch. I felt for the price it was below standard and would not
recommend it. We were not the only disgruntled customers on the day either...I only hope they
make their feelings known too.I have tried in vain to contact the events manager but she is not
returning my emails.We had several meals at the Hotel Bistro while in Shoal Bay and found the
food and staff most agreeable,but never again will we do Xmas Lunch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank JOE712
Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We booked in December 2012 by telefone a "Heritage apartment" which cost 440 Dolar per night. When we arrived we were shocked. It was a noisy, very busy house at the street front with restaurant odors. Our apartment had a living room right above the street (noisy, smelly), a dark bedroom without a window (!!!), in the bathroom was 1 window that could not be opened. We left immediately and went down to Newcastle. although it was already dark.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ChristianaMD
Terrigal, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I booked a stay at the Shoal Bay Spa & Resort on the 24th December and the 25th December 2012 First night I stayed was fine, the next day my family and I paid for a Gourmet Lunch Buffet in the amount of $175.00 and once we started to eat the meal we realized how disgusting it was. Firstly, Poultry Meat was mixed in with Dairy Meet, the seafood was not covered and dried up, after a few minutes we could not stomach the food and left, I approached a lady at reception were I told her about the issue and was offered no compensation and that I would have to Speak with the Duty Manager, I did this on the day and Spoke with a Gentleman name Dean (DUTY MANGER) he also said he could not help me with this and that I had to take this up with the General Manager (ROD HEARN) Also that morning, we left our sign outside our room requesting our towels be change.. Upon returning to our room about 1:30pm the towels had not be changed.. I contacted Natalie at reception requesting this be done ASAP, my family left the resort for a couple of hours thinking that it would of been done before our return, this was not the case.. About 5 mins after our return two young ladies entered the room to change the towels, this was inconvenient to us as we had just come from swimming in the pool... Later that day the power went down in our building, this was a great inconvenience as their was no air-conditioning, no lights or anything... The hotel did not call us to inform us of any problems, I went down 6 flights of stairs to ask reception and they told me it was an Energy Australia issue. I spoke with a lady on the phone in reception and told her that this was a real inconvenience to us and she didn't offer any compensation and that they have had this issue before in the complex.. Knowing this problem, they should of offered some kind of compensation. My family and I could not Stay on CHRISTMAS DAY and had to leave..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
#8 of 16 in Nelson Bay
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
#1 of 1 in Salamander Bay

Been to Ramada Resort Shoal Bay? Share your experiences!