“Amazing and awesome!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in General Luna
Kermit Surf Resort Siargao
Ranked #1 of 14 General Luna B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing and awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at Kermit Surf & Dive in January 2013 for 1 week. I did the Surf Guided tour package and stayed in the private cottage so that I could have my own bathroom and it was an awesome, cheap deal! Firstly, what I liked about this experience was how Gianni, the owner, quickly replied to my email inquiries as I was planning this trip and he was patient with all my questions. Quick responses are always a good sign.

When I arrived, the pick-up service they offered was smooth and very much appreciated. Both Gianni and Theresa were gracious hosts who made me feel comfortable right away. They've created a wonderful, fun, relaxing and inclusive atmosphere within this paradise of an island. The other travelers staying there also lent to the memorable experience - they were friendly and when I arrived I felt like the new kid on the block but by the evening, I felt like one of the gang. It's clear Kermit is a special place because it is one of the most social places for other travelers and locals to hang out and get to know each other.

SURFING - a beginner surfer, I enjoyed the experience but was at first intimidated by the waves because the waves I had been on (the limited times I had gone surfing) were quite calm. It was unfortunate that after my second day, I had banged my back on some rocks and was hurt more than I realized so I did not go out as much as I would've liked. This only means I'll have to come back. ;)

FOOD - the food was surprisingly delicious!! I say that because I was shocked to have the most amazing pasta dinner in the Philippines! Gianni and Teresa each on separate occasions made this for me and it was consistently yummy and the portions were huge! Their breakfasts (included in the rate) were great as well...they had the freshest pineapple and mangoes there! And they also served the best grilled mahi mahi fish during one of the island hopping excursions...everyone ate in silence because we were focused on the wonderfully delicious meal! That's the best fish I have ever had! There was a lot of choices on the menu and you really don't need to go anywhere else because the food is simply fantastic.

ACCOMMODATION: I love my cottage...it was clean and spacious. It had a beautiful verandah, a desk, a hot shower and a fan which was enough because the evenings weren't yet humid at that time.

I loved my experience at Kermit - it was so much fun and truly memorable! It was the beginning of my big trip and I only booked a week of a 3-month vacation. I now wished I had stayed longer or had gone back at some point but I have no doubt that I will return again. Thank you for an amazing stay, Gianni and Teresa!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SheilaS-2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Pacific NW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

There are so many great things about Kermit, I hardly know where to start.

The whole experience was so much fun that I woke up every day at around 7:30 or 8:00 a.m., which is absolutely shocking for a night person like me. The owner, Gianni, surprised us because in emails beforehand, he was so friendly and accomodating in the style of a favorite uncle who spoils you, I just assumed he was much older and fatter. (Sorry, Gianni! ;) Instead, he turned out to be a young and thin expert dive instructor/pasta chef/surfer dude. And he was just as friendly and helpful in person.

The food, cooked by Gianni and some of the other staff, was amazing. I had my favorite Filipino pansit perfectly prepared by Anouh, my omelet every morning was delicious along with the rest of the complimentary breakfast, and everything else I tried was just as amazing. The island setting for all this is picturesque with beautiful beaches and it was fun to walk around and explore the neighborhood. People on foot or on bikes smile and say hello when you pass on the road, and you can buy flip-flops or cokes and snacks from the little stores that are two or three in every street.

Most amazing are the things you can do on the water -- there are many choices, but the ones we went with were: island hopping with lunch of a big fish perfectly grilled; paddling a kayak to a small island where we ate coconuts and looked at crabs and shells; and SURFING LESSONS! I was very skeptical about the surfing beforehand. I actually didn't want to do it, but my boyfriend and my brother convinced me I would regret it if I didn't at least try. After the demonstration on the beach about how to leap up onto the board when a wave comes, I was sure it couldn't be done -- not by me, an absolute beginner at the geriatric age of 45! But my instructor Iloy said that if I just remembered the basics, I might do it, so I gave it a try. And after about an hour of intense and exacting expert instruction from Iloy, I was able to get up and ride several small waves all the way until they died out close to shore. Me! ME! I'm sure it wasn't too pretty because I was not graceful about it, but who cares? I DID it and finally understood a bit of the thrill that everyone talks about. It was great! I could never have done it without a great instructor to guide me every second of the way, and Iloy is both a great instructor and an incredible top-ranked competitive surfer, so I feel unbelievably lucky that I got to try surfing for my first time with him at Kermit -- it will definitely not be my last!

Anyway, we had a fantastic vacation at Kermit -- perfect antidote after a somewhat difficult week of business in Manila, and we definitely want to go back soon as soon as we can manage it. Thanks, Gianni and the rest of the crew at Kermit, for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gillian4444
Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Clean , cheap , excelent food . Is like a family there , i meet many new friends , excelent ambient . I strongly recommend to go to this hotel if you like to share your time and your waves . You wil do manu new friends for sure . I will come back , i really love it ! Kiko from spain :-)

Room Tip: The best one is the first you find on your left hand when you enter . I do not know the number .
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank HotelBrasil1975
Newquay, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Gianni & Therisa (the owners) have got everything right. From the moment you arrive at Kermit you will feel part of the family and will want for nothing. We had the fortune to stay 3 months with the crew on Siargao and I can easily say that it's the best place I've stayed in 12 years of travelling the world. With the space I've got here there is no way I can describe just how amazing this place is, but some of the highlights are as follows:

Staff - The whole team at Kermit are incredible, within hours they become friends and make you feel relaxed, all the while ensuring you want for nothing, a real family feel.

Location - Close to everything, yet quiet and peaceful - 1 minute from a gorgeous beach, surrounded by world-class waves, 1 minute from the town and close enough to stumble home from the Jungle Disco!!

Activities - Take your pick, world class surfing every day - Gianni, Eloy, Babal and Tymoy are encyclopedias of surfing on Siargao, you'll be on the best waves in any conditions - alternatively Scuba-Diving, Island Hopping, Caves, Lagoons, Natural Pools, Waterfalls - something for everyone and nothing is too much trouble.

Food - We spent 3 months there, tried everything on the menu and didn't find a single thing that wasn't fantastic. Take your pick from fresh fish & shellfish, Philippine delicacies, Lechon (Roasted pig), BBQ or their incredible Spaghetti and Pasta dishes that are famous across the island - everything is freshly prepared and really tasty!

Locals - Due to Gianni & Therisa's personalities they are loved by locals throughout the island - every night the friendly locals will hang out at the bar, surf with you and give you tips for places to check out. Really adds to the whole experience and makes you feel at home.

I could ramble on for hours but by now I'm sure you understand how great this place is - truly 'Paradise Found' - if you stay here you won't be disappointed, we've already rebooked for later this year and thanks completely to the team at Kermit we're striving to make Siargao Island our more permanent home.

Room Tip: Don't worry about sharing a bathroom, there are plenty of facilities for all and it's always...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigGreenSurfSchool
Vernon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I 31 and 35, came here for one week for part of our 3 week philippine honeymoon. We payed for the Guided free surf package- 1 week of surfari with accommodation, for the both of us. Appx about $400-500 each.

Firstly, since our flight was cancelled and we lost a day, the owner immidiately let us know that we would not be charged for that night we missed and gave us some money back, which was a bonus, as he really didn't have to do that since we couldnt even give him any notice.

We got our own little hut that had a bed, a desk, closet and ensuite bathroom with hot water ( never went cold).
The package included our accomodation, pick up from the boat, our own motorcycle for the week to explore, a day of island hopping, they also took us to some caves one afternoon, a huge breakfast every morning, and a local surfer each ( for my husband and I) to take us everyday to a surf spot appropriate to our surfing levels, and give us lessons.

The package also included so much more than just that. The common area at the accomodation was a great place to sit and relax in a hammack and read, have a drink, serve lunch and dinner with GREAT FOOD, good music ( never too loud, or obnoxious). There is about 15 people who can stay at the resort I think MAX. So there is always good company to meet from around the world.
Not everyone there was surfing, there were some couples where one partner never surfed, and still stayed there and had plently to see and do with the motorcycle.

I have been to other surf camps where you pay for a week for something similar, but usually you get an instructor for a crowd of 5-10 people to share, and I never really improved.

WIth kermitrs you are guaranteed to become a better surfer than when you left. I surf about once a year or so for a week, so I cant really get any good, or move along from a long board.

Having my own personal coach all week ( a local surfer) was amazing.
Babel was my coach, and Carlito was my husbands. After talking with them, we find out they are essentially the best surfers in the philippines and some local coaches surf competitively around the world- you are getting qulaity, not just any local who can surf. They picked us up every morning and were never late, we would double on motorcycles and strap on the boards and go to which ever spot they thought would be best.

I dont know about others, but paddling out can wear me out, and Im usually so tired trying to catch waves that you end up all day just paddling and not getting many waves. Having a one on one coach makes you so much more efficient. Firstly, they showed me wear to paddle out where there was a channel through a reef so I didn't get as tired, then, they would tell me which waves to go for and I pretty much caught every single one ! So I could actually practice standing and getting better at standing and riding the wave before it breaks. There were so many waves I would have paddled for and missed and wasted energy on if it weren't for Babel.
Once the week was ending, he had me surfing where more people were and where the waves were bigger, and I was anxious about hitting others as I still dont have much control. The locals all seemed to be friends in the water and let me take my turn with all the others getting one to one lessons for waves. I felt very safe after seeing how organized they all seemed about keeping their students safe and litterally calling the waves of who was taking what.

I would have never gone on waves that big otherwise and with a small crowd
I was so so so happy with my experince and feel I actually improved.
I highly recommend this place for begineer surfers like me!! As for the exprienced good surfers, they were taken to other locations, and I cant speak for that, but they always seemed happy when we would meet up for food and drinks later in the day.
I would go back in an instant!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank abaltakis
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've had the great fortune to have traveled extensively over the last 15 years and I have no problems saying that Kermit's was the best place i've had the opportunity to stay so far. If your looking to surf you won't find a better place to stay you will have to put zero effort into finding the best wave and zero effort into organizing boats or anything else to get there as Gianni does all that for you. No one on the island puts as much work into making sure their guests are headed to the right wave to surf as Gianni does and it is true no one makes better pasta than he does!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Patrick B
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I had the pleasure and opportunity to visit Siargao for (only!) 10 days and I was glad I got to stay at Kermits. From the moment you arrive, Gianni (the owner and manager) and his wife Theresa make you feel welcome and right at home. He lives right on the property and he's the guy you go to should you need anything at all (motorbikes, food, directions, advice, recommendations, etc.). The resort has free wifi, motorbike rentals, surf board rentals, locals you can hire as guides to take you surfing and/or provide lessons, boat rentals to visit surf spots and other nearby islands, and some of the best food you will find on the island hands down (amazing pastas, local Filipino dishes, fried snacks, and FREE breakfast every morning). What I was most surprised and pleased with was the friendly, communal vibe that was part of the resort. I came to know everyone who was staying there, as well as the staff and locals, and everyone couldn't be nicer or more pleasant and fun to be around. My only reservation with our accommodations was that our unit didn't come with air conditioning but luckily the rainy season kept the temperatures manageable for the most part. I'll always remember the surf trips to Daku and G1, jungle speed, Lechon, poker nights, lounging in the hammocks, jungle disco, pasta carbonara, san migs and tanduay, and jukjuk! Anyways if you couldn't tell already if you plan to visit Siargao I highly recommend Kermit's and I hope to be back as soon as I can, salama!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 15 in General Luna
Patrick's on the Beach
Patrick's on the Beach
#9 of 41 in Siargao Island

Been to Kermit Surf Resort Siargao? Share your experiences!