All reviews tilapia horseback riding pura vida off the beaten path milking cows costa rica fruit goat making cheese farm horses life fun activities finca meals adventure
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Finca Rio Perla was a very authentic Costa Rican experience. What I experienced here was an intimate rural setting near a dormant volcano with a very friendly Tico family. Although I didn't speak any Spanish, my month long stay was great. At first, I felt like I was imposing, but after a few days, I really felt welcome and at home. If you like getting away from it all, you will love it here. There are a few options: you can work during the day for a more affordable stay, or you can pay more and relax all day. I ended up taking the more affordable option, so I worked for about 4 hours per day. Some of the things you might end up doing if you work here: painting, helping with construction projects, herding sheep, scrubbing down horses, watering the garden, planting, digging, and more. When you're all sweaty and tired of working, you can walk along a really nice path over the hill down to Rio Perla, the cleanest, purest river around. There are jungle vines hanging everywhere around the river, some of them you can even swing off of like tarzan! The waterfalls are gorgeous and refreshing for swimming. Some days you will ride horses to the old macadamia nut plantation, where you can pick your own macadamias! After a day's work and refreshing dip, you can come home to a family style Tico meal (I hope you like rice and beans!) I do recommend brushing up on your Spanish before you visit, although as I recalled earlier, I didn't speak any Spanish when I went (though I did have an English to Spanish translator app on my phone, which came in very handy). One of my favorite parts about Finca Rio Perla was the abundant wildlife. There are many hummingbirds, howler monkeys, insects of all kinds, toucans, frogs, and much more. One of the drawbacks is that there is a long bumpy road that is not easy to access without a four wheel drive vehicle. But it definitely gets you away from the diesel fumes of the main roads in Costa Rica. Also, if you don't like insects, you may be freaked out by the big bugs flying around at night, and the little bugs that seem to smell sugary things before you even set them down on the table. There are tiny little ants that swarm all over the tables if there is any amount of food left out. But overall, it was a great experience.

Date of stay: April 2010
1  Thank macdom25
Reviewed November 30, 2010

On this farm you will see Costa Rica's major attractions: picking tropical fruits, diving, hiking, swimming under waterfalls, riding horseback, and breathing air cleaner than you've ever breathed. The farm sits in the middle of a large jungle reserve in the mountains. The farm offers unexpected amenities for a place in the middle of a forest, like up-to-date Internet access, good toilets and washing machines. And the weather can't be beat. In fact, no matter how hot it gets in the middle of the day, you'll feel cool breezes all night. The rooms are simple, but we were mainly out of the house on most days. The food was fresh and creative; it felt like a family dinner at every meal. The staff works very hard to accommodate requests (like going out horseback riding, showing us the forest trails, letting us help them with gardening--and then preparing what we've collected). It's a sweet and pleasant experience--definitely something to "come home" to again!

Date of stay: June 2010
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Finca Rio Perla is an amazing farm that is nestled in the highlands of Costa Rica and is close to everything Costa Rica has to offer. I stayed there in June and fell in love with the place. It is a farm that also hosts tourists and it offers a unique experience to travel, learn and take part in Latin American culture and agricultural life. Nature here is abundant and never lacking. The insects, plant life and cleanliness that are hallmarks of Costa RIcan beauty can be found on this farm. Everything is within reach and whether you are into hiking, white water rafting, helping out on a farm or just relaxing, this farm is for you. Nature and beauty are everywhere and staying here will provide you with a once in a lifetime opportunity to see tropical and luch beauty. The best part of this community is its proximity to the beach. It is located about 40 miles from the Caribbean coast and about two hours from San Jose, the capital. Meals here are provided and if you are into the local TIco cuisine, it is an amazing opportunity to enjoy fresh and locally grown foods of your choice. The hospitality is never lacking and the accomodations are simple but great. The comfort of the place is good, I always slept well and I was energized for the next day's activities. This is definitely a great place to stay if you are in Costa Rica, for a week, a couple of days, or just overnight. You will enjoy it!

Date of stay: June 2010
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I did not want to get caught up in the usual trapping of commercial Costa Rica, I wanted a trip that took us to a remote (not to remote) area not effected by tourist (get there fast) . This place was amazing, my two boys age 7 and 9 where in boy heaven, horse riding and swimming in the waterfall and I could swing in the hammock and watch the humming birds in the tree next to the deck. I lived in New Zealand for 4 years and the views from the upper ridges could of been from there. This place is so special. I highly recommend it. Deborah Washington DC.

Date of stay: August 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Thank you Costa Rica Caribbean Experience! We had a great time touring this beautiful country and of course staying at the farm. Beautiful rain forests, waterfalls, and beaches, friendly people and awesome adventures, including ziplining, horseback riding, and more. We were so pooped each day we hardly had time for the... night life - but CRCE coordinated everything for us and made this trip a breeze...

NOTE: CRCE set up our whole trip to Costa Rica; we spent 3 days in San Jose, 2 days in Puerto Viejo, and 2 days at the farm, Finco Rio Perla.

Date of stay: August 2010