“Heaven...........”

Ranked #1 of 1 Jhaltola B&B and Inns
Ahmedabad, India
“Heaven...........”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

That’s what I said to Madhur ‘you live in heaven’ and his response ‘what do you have to do to get there?’…….. and we all know the answer ‘DIE”.
Life is not easy for them, but they greet you, serve you, trek with you, eat with you; and on and on and on…… all with a smile. Ambika’s laughter is so infectious and resounding …… like bells, jingling.
THE MISTY MOUNTAINS. I yearned for over a year to be there, before we (my husband and I) actually made the trip. I would visit their website atleast once in 15 days and read visitors’ reviews again and again and my expectations were sky high. And believe me when I say “Not an iota of disappointment” at all, on stepping down from the taxi. It was more beautiful, serene and even closer to heaven than I had dreamt of. Only, it was a cloudy afternoon and no snow caps visible; but we knew that such weather would not last; one rain and things would change.
Setting out on the 7 hour long drive from Naukuchiatal in Gopal’s Bolero (taxi arranged by Madhur – not advisable to take a new driver to that terrain) was the beginning of our 4 day adventure into heaven. Gopal and his taxi were there well before time. We left around 7 am and had breakfast as expected at Dhaulchina around 10:30 am – hot hot aloo parathas and coffee/tea.
Wow what roads we traversed. What breathtaking curves, the valley view and the hills and the constantly meandering river that we drove along crossing from one side to the other over a dozen times, it was great and my adrenaline was rushing. AND, to top it all, the last 3 km or so just one way traffic, no way two jeeps could cross the path; but all well arranged. When we started our upward journey, no way you would meet someone coming down!! Now and again, Gopal would point to a hill across and say “that is where we will go”.
Madhur was there with a full face smile to welcome us. Guided us to our rooms where we freshened up and ready for Lunch (2 pm). Just stepped out of our Suite room (upgraded courtesy Madhur) and there was Ambika, warm and fresh; really a very pleasant person; they make a lovely couple. Lunch/Dinner as we had read from many a review was yummy. The oil free vegetables, paneer, rice, dal, fresh rotis accompanied by homemade pickles (atleast 6 varieties) and never to miss ‘dessert’. One day we were served parathas made from some mountain grains; wow was that heavy on the stomach. Felt stuffed for the rest of the evening, but the weather got me hungry well in time for dinner. The non-vegetarian pallets were given a special treat for Dinner, daily. Let me put in a word about the meal I always enjoy the most – Breakfast. What a lavish treat that used to be!! Stuffed Parathas with thick curds, Pooha, Upma, Eggs to order, toast, butter and Homemade Jams – my favorite apricot and apple/cinnamon, etc., etc., etc.
That evening we just relaxed talking to our hosts and other guests, getting used to the cold. After dinner, we tucked into bed which was lined with an electric blanket. Oh, how cozy that was; on for just 30 min. and off we were; dreaming. (Madhur had warned us not to run it too long – Dehydration)
The next morning, up and about at 6.30 Birding. That is one of the many reasons we were here. Madhur took us to his favourite birding spot and he & my husband went click click and click; while I just followed the bird hop at the speed of light from branch to branch; my binoculars of no use. I really admire the patience of photographers and the speed at which they can focus. Some of these pictures I am sharing with this review.
Then a good breakfast and the hot bath that followed was a treat to my cold - old bones. As there was a little problem with the hot water, it was Madhur himself running up and down getting things sorted out and in all this rush he slipped and had a good thumpy fall too. This is not a complaint but a compliment to our host, who attended to our every need, personally.
Then off to the ridge for a long walk. Boy was I tired at the end of it. Never thought I’d make it. Thanks to my husband who pushed me along; the view from the top was just great – 180 Deg. The picture of the resort from the ridge tells it all. Back only around 3 pm. So a late lunch and a good long nap; followed by dinner and chit chat.
Nearly end of day 2 and yet no sign of the clouds clearing out. And, there it was, the cracking thunder and pitter patter of the rain on the roof top. And did it get cold. If we though the previous days were cold, this was freezing. We pulled up the extra comforters from the other bed room and fell asleep, knowing well that the next day would be gorgeous.
Awake the next morning, from 4:30 am and peering out of the glass windows to see the snow caps but it was only much after 5:00 that we were able to get our first view of the magnificent Himalayas. The temperature - 5 Deg. C. Brrrrr - Covered with all the woolies we had carried we were out in the garden with camera and all. Click, click and click. The Himalayas in all its hues with the changing light of dawn. Then there are these few special photographs. One of the reflection of the mighty Himalayas on the room window and another taken of the mountains, from inside the room with droplets of condensed water. These are very special to us.
That morning after lots of photography of the mountains and a good breakfast went off on our own for a walk and birding; on the trail as instructed by Madhur. Good long 3-1/2 hrs. walk and back hungry as hell ready for lunch. Again in the evening off for a walk in another direction which has a small water hole. Just about saw the backside of a shying off deer and rustle of the Khaleej Pheasants in the bushes. Clicked many a pictures again of birds and butterflies and of course the Himalayas in the light of the setting sun.
The last 2 evenings it was too cold for outdoor dinner buffet and hence served in the club room. Thank God for all the walking we did all the days or I would have put on much more than just 2 kgs. that I did; hogging 3 large meals daily.
Those of you who love peace, quiet, nature, serenity, and off-beat destinations…. Go for this beautiful location!!
Those who love shor-sharaba, hustle-bustle, discos-loud music and dance, TV addicts…. Stay away!!
We have already confirmed plans that we shall be there again in the Diwali of 2015. Madhur, keep the same lovely suite room booked for us.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aban M
madhurchhabra, Owner at The Misty Mountains, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Aban,

That is a record breaking detailed review! Thank you so much for taking time to write this and your positive feedback. It means a lot. :)

It was a privilege hosting you here. Your energy and love for nature is amazing!

You are absolutely right. This place is for nature lovers and nature lovers alone. And so it shall remain. Amen!

It seems your pics have not loaded on Tripadvisor but loved the ones you have sent us on email. Much appreciated. Thank you!

Look forward to seeing you here Diwali 2015!

Madhur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We,a family of four, visited this place with the jovial nd amazing patience of Pankaj behind the steering of a marvellous jeep guiding us up a steep 7km ride to the resort which suddenly opens up like a carefully nurtured paradise of Pithoragarh. Mr Madhur and his good wife greeted us to make our October holiday worth remembering.The spectacular view of the Himalayas ,the homely spread on the table,the energeticRaju guiding us to the trek up to Lambkeshwar temple, hot tea offered by 90 year old Babaji, the concern for us as it became dark while coming downhill..............these are just a few instances.I wish i could have written a chapter on it.............
Our heartiest gratitude to the couple who looks after it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir/mam,

Thank you for writing this.

Hosting you all here was a privilege. Hats off to all of you for your enthusiasm and energy while you were here going for one walk after the other. :)

Look forward to seeing you here again sometime.

Madhur
New Delhi, India
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I've been to the Kumaon many times. My first love is Nainital and a small fishing camp close to Marchula on the outer extremities of Corbett national park.
A dear friend from Nainital advised my friend and I to stay at the Misty mountain retreat on our way back from Munsiyari.
When i reached Ram mandir. I met the driver who was supposed to escort me to the resort he asked me to follow him and I did, all along the drive I had a big smile on my face cuz it was a fun ride but my smile faded away on two bends where I thought I wasn't going to make it. At the end when I reached I was speechless. It was beautiful, breathtakingly beautiful. The forest, the silence, the view were amazing.
The hosts Mr and Mrs. Chabra were awesome.
The food was so fresh and good. Do not I repeat do not miss out on the home made pickles and jams made by Mrs. Chabra. They are to die for especially the garlic pickle.
The hike up to the temple is awesome,it's through thick forest.
If you can take your bicycle along. In the morning ride down to Ram mandir and come up, its awesome.
The staff is amazing friendly and helpful.
I've been there twice and will keep going.
Keep up the good work Ambika and Madhur.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Joy,

It was a 'joy' to have you here. Thank you for appreciating our place, our food, and us :)

look forward to seeing you here again over and over again. :)

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We reached this resort & was engulfed by its beauty & climate. Once u enter ur suite u r enthralled by the inviting view of the himalayas. U can spend days & days together just viewing the changing landscapes of the himalayas from ur room or from the lawn . Just a 3km trek to lakmeshwar is simply mindboggling as u reach the baba mandir atop u have a breathtaking 360º view of the himalayas ranging from nandidevi to the kailash on the china sideon a clear day.The riverside picnic we had with the hosts was great fun & they introduced us to birding which was very interesting & exciting. The property is so beautiful & well maintained. Each suite/cottage is well planned & well equipped.The highlight of the suite were the electric blankets which made the cold bearable & comfortable for us. (Mumbaites) The food is excellent & the support staff (Praveen & Raju) r very courteous & helpful. The ever smiling likeable hosts Madhur (very informative, organized & passionate person) & ambika (enclyopedia on kumaon culture & cuisine) made our stay very comfortable, memorable & unique.
Truly a place we would like to visit again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kiran P
madhurchhabra, Owner at The Misty Mountains, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to write about your stay with us and giving us a positive review. Will share it with the team.

It was a pleasure hosting you here and the river picnic was fun. We are trying to make the riverside picnic a regular feature to make guest experience more wholesome. The few guests we have taken there have given us a good feedback that should help in the future.

Look forward to seeing you here again sometime soon.

ajmer
Reviewed November 21, 2013

After even more than one year has passed since i visited this Damn place and i am still repenting it , as i cannot get over it and long every day to visit it . Therefore i want to warn all those planning to visit this place to be Beware as this place will haunt you in your dreams after your visit for a long time, To sum up a very addictive place.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank qirahs
madhurchhabra, Owner at The Misty Mountains, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Sir,

It is heartening to note that you still remember us and miss the experience after so many months. We do our best to create happy memories for our guests and create an experience that they can come back to time and again.

Hope to see you here soon. :)

New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed November 13, 2013

A drive through Almora town, Barechina, Dhaulchina takes you to Ram Mandir at Jhaltola where you are required to call Mr. Madhur, the host who sends a vehicle to escort you to a steep and narrow road to reach the Misty Mountains.

An excellent place to spend your time in the lap of Himalayas, watching snow mountains and staying in the middle of lush green forest. Cottages and all the rooms are basic but very comfortable and well maintained. Excellent homely food, the natural setting and the activities never allow you to think that finally you have left your TV channels behind on the plains.

Bird lovers will be busy clicking as avian guests are there in plenty.

An ideal destination to relax for some days and enjoy the hospitality of Mr. Madhur and his team and try their best to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

A must visit place to spend your vacation, with friends and with family and feel satisfied.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vinaymanav
madhurchhabra, Owner at The Misty Mountains, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Sir,

The Misty Mountains is indeed an ideal place to visit with friends and family.

Thank you for writing a sweet and succinct review of our place. It was a pleasure hosting you all here. We are committed to consistently build upon the quality of experience we provide to our guests and hope to see you here again sometime soon.

cheers!

Mumbai
Reviewed November 6, 2013

A friend and I did this trip week 2 of Feb 2013. We reached there around noon after an overnite halt at Bhimtal. The last kilometer approach to the resort is a narrow track which was quite thrilling to drive in a wide fortuner.

The resort itself is situated on a 1000 acre property that was gifted to the onwers great grandfather by the British. This gentleman and his brother were spies in the british army that had in the early 1900s spent over a decade in the northern himalayas doing a recee and mapping out the then Mongolia using a string of beads and their footsteps to measure distance and boiling water temp to measure altitude disguised as tibetan monks.

What was supposed to be an overnighter enroute to a trek to the Pindari Glacier turned out into a 3 nighter as we found the resort a great place to chill out. We did a day trek to the lamkeshwar temple which is situated at a 3 km distance from the resort. The entire trek is a climb at the end of which you are rewarded with a 360 degree view of snow capped peaks of the Himalaya. There's an old priest who stays next to the temple who offered us invigorating tea and a brief discourse on the history of the temple.

The next day we took a long walk around the estate to do some birding and also explore some leopard tracks. It was quite amazing to spot pugmarks all over the forest and learn that these are residents of the estate too but do not attack humans given the abundance of deer which we saw in plenty. There's a beautiful 300 year old bungalow where the owner of the estate lives which was built as a retreat for the British officers.

Madhur and Ambika who own and manage the resort are great company. Visit this resort if
1. You long for a place of solitude away from the hectic metro life
2. You are keen on walking/ trekking
3. You are the adventurous kind and love driving
4. Birding/photography is your hobby/ passion
5. You wish to savour the minblowing landscape and magnificient views that the resort has to offer

Room Tip: All cottages are very well apponted and you should not be surprised to find wild deer chomping away...