“"Picked the best place to stay in Looe"”
Review of Down Ende

Down Ende
Ranked #1 of 2 Widegates B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Our holiday was booked at the last minute due to that me and my partner couldn't decide between a caravan or a Hotel as I had my 7 year old niece with me and was worried about space in the room. I have visited Looe before and found the B&B I had picked was'nt very enjoyable. Luckly we picked Down Ende House, the room was clean, bright and spacious. We wouldn't have known what to do without the help of the lovely owners of the hotel as we had eaten during our journey to the hotel and the morning after myself and partner had very upset stomach's. They couldn't have been more understanding and helpful especially when it came to my niece, she spent the whole day playing with their daughter in the grounds and was a very tired little girl by tea time.

I highly recommend this establishment, the cooked breakfast was excellent and the location couldn't be more perfect, a 5 minute drive to Looe and near to everything you would need to keep a 7 year old happy. We slept peacefully every night and was pleasantly suprised at the value for money that you get at Down Ende House for a family.

Room Tip: The family room has own easy access and is very spacious with a large bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gracie G

Reviewed June 8, 2012

There's line by Charlotte Bronte in Jane Eyre which sums up my feelings for Down Ende perfectly; "Go up home, and stay your weary little wandering feet at a friend's threshold."

I can't remember how many times (3 years? 4?) we've stayed with Theresa and Andy on our way to balmy Cornwall from the frozen North (Newcastle upon Tyne), but it's always a real pleasure to see them again as we split our long journey at Down Ende. Theresa is the perfect hostess, and always makes us feel very welcome. The rooms are scrupulously clean, comfortable, and prettily furnished. It's a very peaceful location and I always get a good night's sleep - the hotel is set in large gardens away from the road, and the only noise I notice at night has been the wind rushing through the trees, owls calling, or birdsong at dawn - quite different to my usual nocturnal accompaniment of wailing sirens, trains and buses, and utterly magical as I drift off to sleep! Cooked breakfasts are delicious, there is a bar for evening drinks and the company and service are always excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend Down Ende to a friend, and look forward to next year!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
TeresaJG01, Owner at Down Ende, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

How lovely of you to write us a review - we enjoy your company and are truly pleased you pick to stay with us each year

Reviewed June 6, 2012

As participants in the Looe-Barnstaple coast to coast cycle ride, my B-I-L + me and our respective partners stayed here for a night prior to the event.

From arrival the owners and family were extremely friendly and helpful, showed us to our rooms and couldn't do more to make us feel at home - on the Sunday morning they rose early to prepare our (excellent) breakfast as we had to leave before 'normal' serving hours, and the good luck wishes were welcome! The rooms are comfortable, clean and just what the doctor ordered after the drive down, the shower in the en-suite was probably the best I've used in a B&B.

The bar was a bonus for a swift beer before retiring to bed, and the option of an evening meal is a great touch too - we went into Looe but if we return we'd most likely try the lovely looking menu.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2011

After a tiring, long drive in the rain, we received a very warm welcome from Theresa who couldn't have been more helpful. Our large room was separate from the house (suitable for disabled persons) and had more facilities (more like a hotel in this respect) than any other B&Bs in which we have stayed - 'king sized comfortable bed, table and chairs, couch, TV, Wifi, 'frig, tea/coffee/cake and large bathroom etc. A delicious cooked breakfast, in the conservatory/dining room, overlooking the beautiful, treed grounds, was a great start to each day.The evening meal, cooked by Andy, was superb, so much so that we decided to eat there each night. The menu changes daily. Theresa gave us very good suggestions/advice on places of interest to visit. We had a wonderful, restful 4 days at Down-Ende House after 2 months of traveling and highly recommend this B & B. Thank you very much Theresa and Andy. Jill and Peter, Australia

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jill c
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is one of the best b&bs we have stayed in recently.
Our stay began with a very friendly welcome and that standard was kept up throughout.
The evening meal was very good and we would recommend the lamb shank,which fell off the bone perfectly.
Breakfast was also good with cereals/porridge then either a full cooked breakfast or another (changes daily) hot option.
The room was comfortable and we had a really good night's sleep both nights we stayed.
We would definitely recommend and would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Our stay at Down Ende House was an absolute pleasure! Having spent a week in Andy and Thersa's excellent accomodation enjoying their warm hospitality and lovely food, we highly recommend Down Ende House to anyone looking for a superb B & B in Cornwall. In fact, we enjoyed our stay so much, we booked to stay there again for another week next year before we left!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Teresa and Andy make you most welcome, it's like home from home.
Breakfast second to none and Evenong Meals Superb.
We will return.
Brian and Norma
Lyme Regis

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Widegates
The Snooty Fox
#15 of 54 in Looe
Penvith Barns
Penvith Barns
#12 of 54 in Looe

Been to Down Ende? Share your experiences!