“Dinner at Gasthof Bären, Mägenwil”
Review of Restaurant Baeren

Restaurant Baeren
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Magenwil
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Switzerland
“Dinner at Gasthof Bären, Mägenwil”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had a fantastic dinner at the Gasthof Bären in Mägenwil about 10 years ago and I was really looking forward to finally repeating the experience. Alas, try as I might, the best rating I can give for that night's dinner is a solid "good".

The mixed salad was very tasty but a little bit boring, consisting just of mixed greens. It was also TINY, a definite disappointment at a steep CHF 12.- for the plate of salad! :( I also had the Güggeli-Karussel (mit Pouletbrust, Spiessli, Schenkelsteakli, Flügeli und vier Saucen)... one of the trademark dishes of the house that four of us in our group of 8 had that night. It arrived at our table merely warm, not hot, and was also a disappointingly small serving (despite costing CHF 29.-). I was actually left hungry -- it really wasn't enough without a side dish to accompany it (which I had intended the salad to be, alas...).

The overall menu is small, fairly selective -- and currently offers quite a lot of dishes involving one version of venison/wild game or another; hunted locally by folks at the restaurant. The four friends who had those kinds of seasonal dishes all said they were excellent.

The service was very good; friendly and efficient. The atmosphere is wonderful too. Again, the food was good, just not great -- and considering the prices, I'd definitely have expected more. This was particularly surprising (and disappointing) to me because the restaurant, according to their website, has 15 Gault & Millau points.

• Visited November 2012