“Decent accommodation but very unfriendly staff”
Review of New Inn

New Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newbridge-on-Wye
New Inn
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Decent accommodation but very unfriendly staff”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed in the Bunkhouse for one night (£10 per night pp) which was very clean, spacious, and excellent value for money. All bedding included and showers were very good.

We had no problems with the accommodation but unfortunately found the staff (the landlady especially) to be quite unpleasant and somewhat lacking in the most basic hospitality. It's a shame really as we weren't exactly looking for five-star service but being made to feel unwelcome is something different entirely. For example simple enquiries such as WiFi accessibility were met with hostile grunts and mocking remarks.

Having said that I would probably stay here again given the excellent value for money and because it's one of the only places around for miles!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Patrick G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed here with some friends on a cycle trip,warm welcome from the landlord and his wife, the food was excellent.we stayed in the bunkhouse under the pub which was of a good standard. Breakfast was again well worth the £5 we paid. I would thoroughly recommend a nice local feel to the pub, with great food.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
debbie l, employee at New Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
thankyou for your feedback we are pleased your stay with us was a pleasant one hope to see you again .
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We arrived at Newbridge early evening around 7:00pm. We saw this Inn which looked inviting from the outside. Nice menu boards displayed, flower pots, freshly painted and a vacancy signed displayed. We decided to stay for a nice meal and a good rest as it was our wedding anniversary. Well we were greeted by a rude lady who seriously needs to do a hospitality course promptly.. If they don't need or want guests - put up a NO vacancy sign at least.
Anyway, she said promptly fill this form in please.. I wanted to walk out then and there but my husband said no, we might not get accommodation down the road tonight. Form filled and money paid in advance we were handed keys and told room No which was upstairs. We were halfway up the staircase and she yelled out by the way no shower in your room,, just a bath !!
We entered a cold damp musky smelly room which had mould around windows with cups and glassed sitting on window bench. No toilet paper, no bathroom light working, no shower and it was so cold. We decided to freshen up and go downstairs to the dining area where it was warm for a drink and meal. We were greeted by the same lady who said so your here for a meal too hey.. and handed us 2 menus. Seating ourselves, she sat at a table next to ours talking to two other ladies about an upcoming event in the district.. Finally she took our order 20 mins later.. curry for me and homemade pie for my husband.. she asked if I wanted rice or vegies with curry.. rice please!! When meal arrived I had a saffron rice with a dob of soggy coleslaw on the top. I took one bite - the meat was boiled and so tough, and it had some sort of curry flavoured graving mix placed on top of meat with not even any onion in it,, seriously, I couldn't eat it !! My husbands meat was tender at least.. so he said. We entertained ourselves outside walking until dark for the rest of evening because we delayed going back to the place. The back of the property isn't as inviting as the front,, fallen down fencing and long grass. We saw the same lady when we left the next morning at the butchers shop next door ? Anyway and the end of the day they got there money.. Isn't that NICE !!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank neromjp
debbie l, employee at New Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
thankyou for your review ,are you sure you have the right place as we have never displayed vacancy signs at this establishment.we offer a choice of rice chips or some of both with our homemade curry dishes we ask customers during their meal if everything is ok so we can rectify any problems as soon as possible.we do try and make everybodies stay as welcoming and enjoyable as possible we are sorry you were not happy with yours but thankyou for your feedback so we may be able to avoid problems in the future.
Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I'm not sure who Michael H is or how he could possibly describe the reception at this homely little inn as anything other than totally hospitable. This was our first visit to the New Inn, but it will not be our last. The landlord was warm and charming, the welcome very hospitable and the food delicious. The service was attentive without being overbearing and despite it being a Monday evening, there was an ambiance about the place that made it feel well worth visiting and we shall be again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

On arrival at the bar to enquire if a room was available we were met with a very frosty uninviting reception.After viewing our room which was very dated and mediocre,my wife and I and 2 friends who lived local thought we would have a drink in the dining room,the owners wife must have been having a bad day,she was very rude and ignorant everything seemed too much effort.We were going to stay and have a meal but decided to get some chips and take them back to there place as we did not want to give them our custom.The following morning's breakfast O my lord......Cereal OR Cooked..........tea OR orange juice,is rationing still alive in Wales? Cooked breakfast with their own sausages was awful,tasted like sausages were stuffed with shredded cardboard,weak luke warm tea,1 slice of toast.All in all..................they won't be seeing us again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Michael H
Penkridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stay here annually while following the WRCGB, its good value, clean and pleasant, if not we have all of Wales to stay but this is the place we pick.
I sufferer from asthma so if it’s not clean it’s not a case of grin and bear it, I have big issues.
‘The owners wife being sour’, not something we have experienced but it’s a two way street, we always get a warm welcome, more unusually we even get a warm welcome from the locals.
The food is the key, for a big city restaurant it would be very good, for a pub its fantastic, it’s never been less than perfect and as a tip, whatever you order request a sausage or two you will not be disappointed.
Cannot vouch for the puddings, I have never had the room.
With regards the comments re the decor, it’s not something I have noticed but it is an old hotel/pub and I suspect it’s like painting the Forth Bridge, once you have finished one end its time to start again.
Don’t expect: a chrome and glass impersonal city centre hotel.
You will get: a warm welcome, great food and a clean room.
Sean

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sean F
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We had a long drive behind us and a long drive ahead and needed a good hearty meal to keep us going on our trip. We found this place by accident and chose it over other pubs because of it's ample parking.

The decor is dated to say the least but I've certainly seen worse. The main dining room mostly clean, the bar, tables and cutlery were spotless and the brass ornaments on the windowsills were dust free however the windows themselves were grubby with mould/damp starting to take hold and a long dead fly in the corner.

The owners wife seemed quite sour when first entering but after a brief chat she opened up and was very friendly, polite and helpful. We went ahead and ordered our food and chose a table, we both opted for the steak and ale pie.

I nipped to the loo quickly before my meal, when opening the first door through to the small hallway with separate doors to the ladies and gents I was hit by the stench of old urine, the smell was coming from the gents which had the door held permanently open. The ladies had a clean and fresh smell but lacked individual locks on the stall doors, the hot tap one the one basin leaked all over the basin when pressed with very little water coming through the tap spout. On heading back to the dining area I once again hit the smell of urine and this time also got a view of a man urinating as the gents door was still propped open.

I was ready to get up and leave after the state of the toilets, but then the food arrived.

The food was delightful, the meat in the steak pie was so soft and tender it was mouth watering. The chips were some of the best I've had, they were nice big chunky home cooked chips, soft on the inside but with a beautifully crispy shell and were not at all greasy which was a surprise. We had a separate veg bowl to share, the carrots were amazing, they had been boiled but retained so much of their fresh flavour they tasted more like they had been gently steamed, I forgot to ask if they were locally sourced but I've certainly never had anything close to that flavour from a supermarket and were up there with my own home grown. We also had diced swede and broccoli, both well cooked with good flavour.

We had planned on a dessert but the main meal was so filling we couldn't eat another bite.

Other diners at the same time did have a dessert and while the raspberry merengue and fruit pie looked quite nice the knickerbockerglory looked like cheap tinned fruit cocktail with some squirty cream on top.

Over all I was happy with this place, if they could just fix the few little niggles (clean the gents toilets and close the door, clean/replace the carpet in the dining room, clean the windows, fix the leaky tap and add locks in ladies loos) I would go there again. The quality of the food more than made up for the little let downs.

I will be passing through this area again in a few months and will eat there again, I plan on trying out their homemade sausages and bacon or seeing if their steaks are as nice as the meat used in the pie.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to New Inn? Share your experiences!