“Nowhere quite like it”
Review of Hafod-Y-Garreg

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Erwood
Hafod-Y-Garreg
Ranked #2 of 4 Erwood B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We have stayed here each July for the past 4 years as a base from which we attend the Royal Welsh Show. It is quite special, remarkable in its history and quirkiness and amazing history. Annie and John are very special delightful hosts. I have no doubt that we will return again and again.

Room Tip: Only 2 rooms - just feel blessed that you get one.................
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Glosspots

Reviewed July 1, 2011

This house was remarkable, and our hosts were wonderful! Getting to stay in a place with such history was a rare opportunity. If you want modern and sleek, don't stop here. If you appreciate the past, and the efforts of people willing to preserve an ancient house and furnish it with great care, you'll love every minute. Just be careful driving up the path to the house - it's pretty rough.

One last remark - if you choose to have dinner there, ours was great, and the dessert was fantastic!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

What an amazing house! Having been there for over 600 years, it had the feeling of having grown organically from the hillside. The perfectly executed ecletic decor helped make the visit magical and extremely comfortable. This house exudes an overwhelming feeling of peace and contentment as do its owners Annie and John.
The warmth of the fragrant wood fire was only equalled by the warmth of welcome we received from Annie and John. We felt much more like friends than guests.Annie's cooking was wonderful and indicated more than a passing interest in all things culinary, all deftly served by John in his unique fashion and in amazing surroundings. This was not just a holiday, but an experience and one which exceeded our expectations by far. We will definitely return, but next time for longer so we can more fully appreciate the privilege of our stay and the beautiful area. Thanks Annie and john.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2010

A wonderful, warming welcome from Annie and John greeted us when we arrived. We must have looked a little fried, because Annie offered a much-appreciated glass of wine! We sat and sipped and chatted and watched Wimbleton together as we settled in. This is a wonderful old house with the quirks you'd expect (creaky uneven floors, small windows, etc.). Our room had a small bath with a sitting area, and the cruckframe you can see on the website (most impressive when lying in bed looking up - WOW!). We loved having access to walking paths from the front door. Our hosts were gregarious, funny, entertaining, and friendly. Wish we'd planned on more than just one night and included dinner! Next time, we'll do it right!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We have stayed in many B&Bs and this was certainly one of the most memorable.

Driving up the rough track we encountered one farm gate (no automatic openers here!) and then another, this one with a sheep guarding the entry. Once at the house we saw a few cars in the drive but no one seemed to be home so we relaxed with a beer by the frog pond and said hello to the resident goat tied up nearby. Half an hour later an Audi pulled in and John and Annie explained that it was Mothering Day and they had taken Mum (who lives in a more modern house on the property) out for lunch.

We were immediately invited in and given a tour of the house. The furnishings are an eclectic mix which complement the age of the house. The stone floor seems part of the bedrock and the massive mantle over the fireplace is equally solid. Our room contained the original timbers that date the house to 1404 and is accessed by a sitting room (watch your head in the hallway, though!)

Would definitely recommend the optional dinner because, A) there isn’t too much close by, B) the atmosphere in the candlelit dining room is terrific, and C) everything that came out of Annie’s kitchen was superb!! John took us outside afterward for some star gazing and also cooks up the breakfast which is equally as good.

For something out of the ordinary (even by B&B standards) Hafod-y-Garreg is someplace you won’t soon forget!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I took my boyfriend here for a surprise birthday get away, taking him back to his Welsh roots. We decided to go for a 6 mile walk, which ended up being 10 miles en route to the B&B. By the time we got back to the car and were on our way it was getting late. We didn't arrive at Hafod till 9pm! Having phoned ahead to warn them of our late arrivel (once we got a signal) they were more then happy to cook for us and gave us a great welcome. Wine at the ready!! After dumping our bags and having a chat we sat down for an amazing 3 course dinner, Rabbit pie being the main, cooked by Annie.
We then sat down with a glass of Red to chat to John and Annie who we found out lived local to us in Richmond once upon a time. John is so knowledgeable on the house and area and they really are great hosts. The room was really warm and cosy with a great bathroom. Our only regret is that we had just the one night there. Might i add, what a bargain!!
You have to take this place for what it is - a medieval farm house and quirky with it. You aren't going to a souless bnb or Holiday Inn so expect to see the odd cobweb and bit of dust!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lilprincess00_uk
Reviewed November 9, 2008

I am giving this place 3 stars because 3 stars according to tripadvisor means "neutral" and that is how I feel about this place.

After reading the great reviews here, I decided to make a booking for next summer. After some correspondence with them, I got the booking for two rooms confirmed (next August).

However, a couple weeks after this, I got an email from them saying that they could not have us there; a customer who has stayed there for many years around that same time each year emailed them and booked on the same date as we had, and so they were being given priority, meaning we couldn't stay there that night.

While I understand that loyal customers -- at this point probably even good friends -- would be given priority, the reason our booking was accepted in the first place was because these people always come during the Brecon Jazz Festival, and the dates had supposedly not yet been finalized for it, so they had not yet booked. However, our original plans had been to stay in Brecon (just by chance we were going to be there during its festival), and over a month ago I was already aware of the date of the festival next year(and every accommodation place seemed to be aware as well, since they were all fully booked already and could not accept our booking). When this place accepted my booking, I thought it was simply because it was far enough away from Brecon to not yet have any bookings.

We obviously booked quite a bit in advance (10 months), but given that the dates were obviously set in stone enough for over a month now (at least--only started checking then) for all these other places to not be taking bookings, I just found it a bit disappointing to have my booking cancelled; my problem isn't so much that they would cancel our previously-confirmed booking for someone else (as iffy as this may be, I understand) but rather that given how solid this date was and that they knew these customers came every year for this festival, that they accepted a booking for that night.

Anyway, if you can get a room here, I am sure that this place is truly lovely (it sure appears to be). I am not upset or anything, just disappointed that we won't get to stay here. I wish we would be able to! I had just told the other 4 that were traveling with me about this wonderful place the day before it was cancelled (talked about all its different aspects and how nice it would be), and so now I have to explain that instead we'll probably be forced to stay at a hotel in Cardiff given the lack of rooms available in this area. Kind of disappointing customer service, that's all.

Hopefully in the future, if we are in the area again, we'll finally get an opportunity to try staying here.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Daniel5153

Been to Hafod-Y-Garreg? Share your experiences!