“my worst ever hotel experience”

Centauria Lake Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Embilipitiya
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Don't get me wrong - I wasn't expecting anything amazing. But even with low expectations I was very very disappointed.

the room was FILTHY. dead flies and bugs all down the side of the bed. cockroaches, lizards and misc insects in the room. a dark red stain on the bed (probably blood).

the shower looked like it was from an Eastern European prison.

everything about the room was awful except the view which was lovely.

it was clear that there was no care or love for the property from the management

Room Tip: find a different hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Phil C

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Only stayed here one night en route to safari.

Very quaint and cheerful - The staff are really friendly and helpful. The rooms are huge, albeit very outdated, the only downside is they smell really badly of damp. Bathroom very outdated but again huge - shower huge.

Lovely balcony with soft seating.

Stayed on a full board basis, and dinner was excellent (better than other 4* hotels in SL), can't comment on breakfast as we had a very early start, so they supplied a lovely packed lunch.

Very small bar area and very quaint but old fashioned lounge area off reception and dining area reminded me of a school hall !

Very clean and tidy.

Overall I was impressed with our stay.

Please note towels are extremely tatty and worn (take your own)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed here as it was the closest place to the Uda Walawe National Park (however, I did note that a new larger hotel has recently opened nearby - Safari Hotel?). I found the hotel facilities to be extremely out of date, furniture, towels and bedding tatty and the room unpleasant. My bath had hairs in it, and everything in the room just felt sticky. The food in the restaurant was pretty poor too - but very cheap.
On a more positive side, I did see a fruitbat about 1 metre from my balcony clinging to a mango on the tree.
Oh, and free Wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Elephant_Biscuits
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I will focus on my bad experience than give a full review, as I agree with much that has been said by others.
On arrival, wet and filthy after a long cycle ride in the rain, it was clear that the front desk staff spoke little or no English. Now I would not have a problem with this if this was a local hotel, but they market for an international clientele.
My problems began when I turned on the shower and discovered no hot water. This happens. Was forced to have a cold shower as I couldn't wait (filthy!).
Mentioned it on the way past the reception, and got a response that indicated they didn't believe me. They sent someone over, who came back with three more people (!). Action was being taken.
Next morning, I tried it again. Cold water for a few seconds, followed by thick brown sludge under high pressure (I have only seen this happen on Sitcoms) for about a minute. Then a mixture of brown sludge and billowing hot steam. Exreemely dangerous.
Bumped into the manager in the lobby, and mentioned this, and that I wasn't expecting someone to look at it till after I checked out. He acknowledged the problem with a grunt and walked away. Not empathy, so apology. Another of our party had the same experience with him the previous day (also over hot water). The man is very rude.
Dinner was bland, but the service was also poor - losing track of who wanted what and bringing out the same thing twice. Breakfast OK, but took an hour to get out for a table off 4.
Not recommended at the moment!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank twoshirts
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Only stopped one night as part of tour so don't know individual price, value for money. But located on nearby lake whith great views as the birds flock in at sunset. Rooms excellent, even had a bath (though tv basic, though they plan to upgrade), Restaurant very good, recommend the fish and chips!

Room Tip: Get one with balcony view of lake. Apparently there are villas available as well.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 4, 2012

A large room, with a balcony overlooking the river through the trees, heavy traditional furniture, OK bathroom. All clean and presentable. A bit dark and gloomy for my taste, but perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our tour. The room was adequate with a large en suite bathroom and they did provide tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Not as nice as some of the hotels on our trip but not as bad as others! It was ok. Food was average. Staff were helpful and friendly. So, not a bad place to say at all but it wouldn't be my first choice for another visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Embilipitiya
OwinRich Resort
Green View Safari Resort
#1 of 3 in Udawalawa
Anantara Peace Haven Tangalle Resort
The Grand Udawalawe Safari Resort
The Grand Udawalawe Safari Resor...
#3 of 26 in Uda Walawe National Park
Eliyanth Udawalawa Hotel
Eliyanth Udawalawa Hotel
#2 of 3 in Udawalawa

Been to Centauria Lake Resort? Share your experiences!