“As good as ever”

Ohope Beach TOP 10 Holiday Park
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at Ohope beach in March for the third time. This is probably our favourite place to stay on our trips to New Zeaand. We are of an age where staying in caravans or tents has passed us by so staying in the deluxe lodges right on the beach front ticks all our boxes. The location is just perfect and we never fail to amaze our friends back in the Uk when telling them that we can stroll on this 3 mile or so beach on a weekend at a temperature i25 degrees and see only a handful of people. The lodges have been well maintained have everything needed and show little sign of wear. It's not cheap to stay in this deluxe accommodation -but what price is heaven?

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ohope Beach TOP 10 Holiday Park

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a non powered site right next to the beach.The view was amazing, the folks at reception were very helpful too. Facilities were clean and well maintained. Even though we do not have children, they looked like they were very well catered for. It was so peaceful and waking up in the morning to the sea view was a plus.Prices very cost effective. Would definitely camp there again.
The sites are also very spacious.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Three couples of us stayed 5 nights in Feb 2013. On arrival because of lower numbers we were able to chose our sites which was good. We really liked the shower system which all had exterior access to individual showers. We were more than disappointed that the second of the two big toilet blocks was closed. We had to use a very small block . The men's measured about 10 feet by 7 feet. It had two cubicles, two hand basins and one urinal in a very confined space. At one stage when using the urinal I was almost in contact with a man brushing his teeth. Incredible and totally inadequate.This unit was for a reasonably large number of people, (but in my view far less than what should have been mandatory)and when there was an influx of weekenders which more than doubled the mid week week population we expected they would open the bigger block. But no.
At that end of the camp all campers at that end had only this tiny facility. The alternative was to walk down the other end of the camp and take your chance.
This inadequate facility has resulted in my low rating. I have stayed in a number of Top 10 camps. They generally charge more than a lot of other camps because of the fact that they are higher rated facilities. We paid Top 10 prices ($45 a night) for what I would descibe as bottom 10 facilities. To me the closed facility smacked soley of aiming to achieve greater profit. I have to say this would be the lowest rated Top 10 in my experience. I have not experienced a Top 10 camp where they closed facilities.
My fellow campers called in the office when leaving to express his view on the totally inadequate facility.
I would advise intending campers to check what facilities are available.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Janene M, Owner at Ohope Beach TOP 10 Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

We would like to apologies for any inconvenience caused by your concerns and can assure you we pride ourselves on being a firm 4 star TOP 10 Holiday Park.
This is not the outcome we wish for any of our customers as you can read by our many many postive 4 star plus comments.
We have 4 Facility Blocks. 2 of them we close down after Waitangi weekend depending on the numbers. The other two remain open all year. The smaller one you are referring to is to be totally refurbished and extended this year - i realise this does not help the situation you found yourselves in.
On check-in you are given a map showing the blocks that are open and explaining the main block which is central is the largest and most people us. The other 2 blocks it is made clear are not open, however, we do leave the kitchen in one of them open.
There are 18 unisex showers open between the 2 blocks and adequate toilet facilities available.
Since your complaint at reception i have spoken to a number of our regulars who were in over the period you were there and they had no issue with the facilities available. We have a phone outside our office which provides 24 hour service, plus 2 staff members live on site, if your concerns could not have been voiced during daytime while you were here.
We are not dismissive of any critisicim, be it positive or negative, and our customers needs are listened to. Once again please accept our apologies and know that we are disappointed that your stay was not a memorable one.

Janene Maguire
Owner/Operator

Reviewed February 10, 2013

The best camping ground I have ever stayed at. We had a powered caravan site right on the beach front! Kitchen facilities are spotless, communal fridge and freezer are handy. Toilet and shower blocks kept super clean at all times. We hardly saw the kids, either in the games room, on the playground or going down the slides into the pool (awesome fun for us adults as well).
Friendly and helpful staff. Just wish the cafe had been open while we were there.
Ten steps away from our site and we were able to go surfcasting and long-line fishing and swimming.
Loved it so much we are going back again this weekend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2013

For the past five years I have taken my two daughters camping (or glamping as my husband calls it) at Ohope Top 10. My husband sets me up in the weekend and goes home to work and then picks us up the following weekend (some of us have to work!!!). Therefore I camp alone with my two daughters. At Christmas they open up Surf and Sand next door. I choose to go over there as it is less busy, bigger sites and the amenities lovely.

Things I love about this place - shared facilities always immaculate, great coffee at the cafe, amazing kids club, beautiful pool and safe beach patrolled by lifeguards over busy periods, movie nights, entertainment, dairy, tv room, beauty room, free showers, helpful and friendly staff........well everything is fantastic.

My kids disappear and I never have to worry (9 and 11), they are kept busy doing kids club activities, swimming in the pool and going down the hydroslide (as do I!) and when they swim in the surf the lifeguards are vigilant.

At night you are given a mobile number and if you have noisy neighbours you ring that number and they immediately come and sort it out . I havent ever had to do this.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank michellen_NZ
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We spent a week camping here in the summer and just loved it. We had an unpowered site at the east end of the property which was much quieter than the main area around the powered sites and cabins. I was grateful for this as the rest of the site was very busy and heavily populated, although no one who was down there was complaining!
This is a well appointed site with excellent shop, mini golf and pools. My daughter (aged 5) enjoyed a morning at the 'kids club' which is provided free of charge, and my wife and I enjoyed the peace and quiet!
The beach is right on the doorstep and is beautiful. There are surf lifesavers patrolling a safe swimming area which is reassuring if you are not confident swimming in the sea.
There is a pool area with 2 water slides which is extremely popular with the kids. It would be more popular with the adults if the water was heated (it was freezing!) but the kids didn't seem to mind and swam even when it was overcast out.
The site is well situated, being right on the beach but also only 10 mins drive from Whakatane which is a beautiful little town and holds a multitude of possibilities if you are not lucky enough to get perfect beach weather.
The communal facilities (showers, toilets, kitchens and laundry) were all kept in excellent order and despite there being a lot of people there they were spotlessly clean.
There are a number of organised activities such as movie nights, touch rugby tournaments etc. We did not participate in any of these but they appeared to be popular. There is a tannoy announcement every morning telling you what is going on. I found this a bit cringy and half expected it to end with "Hi di hi" but it was useful in terms of knowing what was going on.
Overall this is a very impressive place with great facilities and activities, plenty to do for children of all ages and close to other non beach options. I have never understood people who return to the same place year after year but this is a place that I will be returning to.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank oncebitten50
Reviewed January 10, 2013

What can I say? Ohope Beach never ceases to amaze me each year we stay. Even though the camp was chocka for the christmas holiday break, the facilities were always spotlessly clean, the staff go out of their way to be friendly and courteous, and it's just a great relaxing holiday feel. Oh, and they even turned the weather on this year too! We will be back next year.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ohope
White Island Rendezvous
Aquarius Motel
Aquarius Motel
#7 of 9 in Ohope
Beachpoint Apartments

Been to Ohope Beach TOP 10 Holiday Park? Share your experiences!