Booked and stayed two nights at this hotel. It was a very unpleasant experience.
We were visiting family who live in a nearby village and the hotel seemed the ideal place to stay - convenient and four star.
We booked into our room (227) Saturday afternoon and then went off to visit family. A wedding was taking place at the hotel and when we return later that evening the public areas of the hotel resembled a chimpanzee's tea party - food strewn across the floor, up the stairs and on the landing.
We spent the night being constantly woken by loud glugging noises coming from pipes.
Sunday morning breakfast was an unpleasant experience. 10 minutes spent waving my hand in the air trying to catch the eye of the waitress with the tea and coffee before I could get my one cup of tea (after that had been drunk, hand had to go back up in air again.......). 5 minutes stood by the toast machine whilst it turned out aneamic looking bread the first time round and burnt toast the second time round....gave up on that. Tried the cooked breakfast and put in my mouth something no other person should have to ever experience - a fried egg that was not completely cooked -ugggghhhhh!
Against our better judgement, we had invited family to join us for dinner at the hotel on our last evening. We thought that the evening restaurant couldn't be as bad as the breakfast. We were given laminated A4 sheet menu (very Little Chef) with a very poor choice available. The food that arrived was just heated up and tasteless - very disappointing.
Having filled out a guest questionnaire pointing out the problems we had encountered we received a letter from Jonathan Worsdale, Operations Manager who offered his apologies and had looked into our problems.
The glugging in room 227 was due to a problem with gas in the air conditioning system and the maintenance team were going to be looking into it. The procedure in respect of service during breakfast was also going to be reviewed.
We hadn't been offered the a la carte menu due to the large amount of inclusive offers that the hotel do the menu on offer is not the full a la carte menu. (Although we would have happily paid any extra for the a la carte menu. We did wonder why our guest who were not staying at the hotel were not offered a la carte).
It is good to know that Menzies hotel do look into any adverse comments on their questionnaires and take the time to look into the problems. We have been assured that this was an isolated case and have been offered a complimentary night (DB&B) back at the hotel. Initailly, we weren't keen to repeat the experience but will be taking them up on their offer later this week......I shall keep you posted
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hallmark Hotel Cambriddge is Located right on the A14, just a mile from the M11 and 5 miles northeast from the heart of Cambridge. The hotel has ample parking, a beautiful golf course, 136 comfy bedrooms, flexible meeting rooms and a lovely health club - it has absolutely everything you need for a successful business trip or relaxing short break in Cambridge. A hotel that has it all Free WiFi throughout. Located just 5 miles from Cambridge city centre Plenty of parking - complimentary when booking your stay direct with the hotel. £10 over night charge otherwise. 136 bedrooms including family bedrooms for up to 5 Brasserie, lounge and bar The Cambridgeshire Golf Course - 18-hole 2 tennis courts, indoor swimming pool, fitness suite and treatment rooms Sauna, steam-room, spa bath Ideal wedding venue for up to 180 guests 10 versatile meeting rooms for up to 200 delegates Sky Sports and BT Sport now available in the bar ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hallmark Hotel Cambridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Menzies Cambridge Hotel And Golf Club
- Menzies Hotel Cambridge
- Hallmark Hotel Cambridge Bar Hill, England, UK