“a weekend break either a city break in Cambridge”

Hallmark Hotel Cambridge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
London, United Kingdom
“a weekend break either a city break in Cambridge”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Had a relaxing weekend in Menzies Cambridge. Prices are very good if you are an early bird!
The only problem is the hotel is by the highway, didn't disturb me though.
If you are after a weekend break, either a city break in Cambridge, would recommend this hotel.
Ohh one more thing, if you plan to have your dinner in the hotel, would recommend you to book it early! Alternatively you can pop into the pub which is located within a short walking distance.(if you are quite shy for asking the direction you can chase the people as there is probably one local pub in Bar Hill:) )

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lynn_Russl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
uk
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have just returned from cambridge after celebrating a hen gathering.

Hotel was perfect for our weekend. There was 13 of us in total (including a new born baby!!) and our rooms were all close together on the ground floor. I had so many chops and changes to my name list and the hotel was more than happy to rework what we had already booked.

Rooms are clean and so spacious, which was perfect for 3 girls to share a triple room. Beds are comfy and clean and there were plenty of towels and dressing gowns. more than enough shampoo samples also.

The hotel has a contract with a great taxi service which is set price at £12 into the town centre (which takes about 15 minutes) and with a 6 seater car it was only £2 into town for dinner and drinks! There is also a bus service which is £4 for an all day bus ticket.

Breakfast was exactly what a Sunday morning needed and we had a table that fit all of us on which was great to catch up over in the morning. Large selection of English and continental buffet, I'm vergetarian, so the perfectly poached eggs were ideal.

The spa is a perfect way to wake up, jaccuzzi, sauna and a steam room, plus a large pool and toddler depth pool also. We were lucky to have the sun with us and just outside the spa is a garden we sat out on and caught some rays in our bikinis and gowns. The gym is very equipped too.

Overall I had a perfect weekend, hotel was hassle free, staff are really helpful, breakfast is delicious, and the spa is perfect for some recovery time!

Strongly recommend for your mature hen party, family gathering, or girls weekend away. Cambridge is also gorgeous, and the nightlife is friendly with lots to offer in terms of whether your looking for a wine bar or a nightclub.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank nettestar
N Yorkshire
Reviewed June 2, 2014

good in parts. I stayed one night - the room was fine - everything that you'd expect. Free wi-fi, but had to keep signing in - I don't think the hotel has any control over that.

The staff were very welcoming and helpful, especially when they had not received the reservation from my employer! Luckily, it wasn't fully booked.

My dinner was very good - but other people complained that the food was cold and some sent it back to the kitchen. Breakfast was the usual buffet and couldn't be faulted.

I didn't use the Spa but did take a look - and it seems very pleasant. The Golf Club is attached and was well supported.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Shaun V, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear 67Sweetpea, thanks for leaving us your review which in general didn't necessarily meet the title of your review?

I'm pleased you found the accommodation to be good and enjoyed your meals. I have shared your comments with the team.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

4 Star AA rating? Definitely not, lingering in the 2 star range. Rooms large but you could not swing a mouse round your head let alone a cat in the bathroom. TV must be 15 yrs old, grainy picture. Needs a serious re-fit. Attended a function, talk about tough beef and undercooked veg. Waiter held coffee cup with his hand around the rim to pour the coffee, hygiene or what!. Breakfast excellent. Golf course - very good. Only 4 star thing about this hotel is the drinks prices, ridiculous. Wake up, the restaurant across the road serves 2 meals for £10, larger meal and better quality with cheaper beer. Staff very friendly.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank bev L
Dear bev L, thanks for leaving us your review and I was sorry you found the hotel to be lower than your expectations?

I do confirm that we get inspected by the AA every year and the 4 star rating is made up from a number of factors surrounding the levels of service and hospitality to the range of facilities we offer. It is not necessarily based on how new things are, however we have refurbished the hotel and that was completed in 2012.

I note your comment about the LCD flatscreen television's - not quite as old as you think - but we are looking presently at an upgrade to these.

I'm sorry if you found the beef tough and the vegetables under-cooked at the function - I'm sure if mentioned at the time we would have duly changed. I will ensure the comment about coffee is shared with the food service team as this is certainly not the norm.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014

The Menzies Cambridge is a hotel that is struggling for an identity. They proudly bear a four-star AA rating but I found that this rating seemed to be something they used to be and clearly still remember, but are now struggling to achieve.

Good things: the staff were first class -and easily would do credit to a five-star hotel. Check-in was lightning fast, bar service was friendly, and good. Restaurant sevice for breakfast and dinner service was also excellent - friendly, cheerful and attentive.

There is a golf course attached, which I am sure is a plus however I am not a golfist and cannot comment - the golfists I saw seemed happy.

The room was reasonably sized and had a lovely, comfy super-king sized bed with great water pressure in the shower.There was ample parking in a gated carpark and it was right off the A14 - well located for cars and with a convenient bus for Cambridge too.

Food wise, breakfast was good with all you would expect from Continental to fried and all in between. Dinner was sub-gastro-pub, with an uninspiring menu and average food. Nothing terrible, but I would personally avoid if I came here again. For the quality, the price was reasonable though.

Overall, the place was tired. Clearly it was a grand place 30 years ago or whenever it was built, but is now due for a full, expensive refit to bring it back up to four-star standards - it needs more than a lick of paint, a cabinet of jewellery and some abandoned baggage trolleys in the foyer to live up to expectations.

Conference venue is where they fit at the moment, and I am sure that serves them well, however their proposition as a wedding venue would need to be keenly priced to be attractive. For a couples weekend - I would recommend this as a well located place to sleep, but eat and play in town.

I have mentioned them earlier, but I cannot stress how good the staff are. They far exceed the quality of the fabric, decor and dinner menu of this hotel.

Room Tip: There is a clear motorway facing side, so pick the other one if you have the option.
2 Thank Ivor P
Dear Lardaholics, Thank you for leaving us your very comprehensive review - I'm not sure the title does us justice but everyone is free to have an opinion.

We are currently reviewing our next phases of refurbishment and we do use feedback and reviews to shape what we want to approach for the future.

I'm pleased you have held the staffing in such high regard - this has been shared with the team, they are our biggest asset.

Your review has been shared with the team and we do hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We booked an executive room online through the Menzies website expecting that we would at least get what we had paid for. We were seriously deluded! We asked for a quiet room so were given the loudest room in the hotel not only within hearing range of the motorway, we could watch the cars go by identifying their number plates. Perhaps if we had asked for the noisiest room in the hotel, we might have got a quiet room - it felt like entering a looking glass world when talking to the receptionist. Do they get any training here? The room was scruffy and the "extras" we had paid for weren't there - bathrobe, slippers, water, home made cookies but we did have a bag of popcorn. The receptionist said there was a supply problem; I'm fine with that but don't charge me then for things I don't get. There's a serious problem with business integrity on the reception desk.

So we asked for a quieter room and were put next to the hotel ventilators. Cookies came by at 9 30 pm after asking the very nice lady at the bar - should we have had cookies?

Don't bother with dinner. The food is served cold on cold plates and then there is a bit of an argey bargey when you request hot food and the ( very untrained ) waitress brings back the food even colder than it was before. So then you and your husband eat at different times. So much for a romantic supper. ........ It is very unpleasant to eat cold mushroom sauce on cold chicken on cold plates - the sauce congeals.

You can do much better than this for the same money.

What sort of hotel has the "executive rooms" or deluxe - whatever that means elsewhere it certainly doesn't mean that here- in the worst location anyway? The reception are looking through the looking glass as I said before. There were pleasant moments. The bar staff are friendly, mature and utterly professional. The rest of the staff seem, well frankly, untrained. The only way they will realize how poor the service is they give, is by having an experience of at the very least, adequate service elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying for the more expensive rooms if you want a quiet room. Staff don't under...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear celinehopeful, I was sorry to hear of your disappointments and after showing you 3 different rooms we clearly were not going to meet your expectations. The reason you didn't get the upgrade items in the room eventually chosen was due to us offering you one of our executive rooms used for aircrew (which do not come with the upgrade items) as they are the quietest rooms in the hotel with secondary glazing (to meet Union noise level standards) - I'm pleased that once you reminded us you were expecting the upgrade items we duly supplied.

As you can see from the other reviews on this site our staff are our biggest asset and highlighted by most reviewers. Those staff members that tried to deal with you on reception and in the restaurant are both senior team members and have both given their feedback to me and I have to say I was disappointed as they both raised concern over your approach.

I appreciate we don't get it right all of the time, but you should know that we genuinely do go out of our way to try and deal with any shortcomings when they are brought to our attention. I'm sorry we could not please you, but did refund your upgrade charge accordingly.

If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at the hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Bar Hill hotels

Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We arrived at the hotel at 1o clock thinking we would have to wait till 3, we were checked in there and then and the room was available.
The room was a fair size and the bed was huge, the bathroom though was very small and had trouble turning on shower. The bed was very comfortable and had a good nights sleep.
We used the bar which the staff were very friendly and had bar food which was nice but on the expensive side.
The swimming pool and sauna were one reason we chose the hotel and well worth it, the even provide towels when using the facilities.
We used the restaurant on 2 occasions and were very impressed with the food, the service was slow but it was busy. Breakfast was great, good selection and the hot food appeared fresh and hot. The waiting staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel is out the way but we used the bus into the city, we were going to go into the city in the evening but a taxi was about £13 I think so chose to stay at hotel and eat in the restaurant and drinks in the bar instead.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Shaun V, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear sarah M, thanks for leaving us your review and i was pleased to read you had an enjoyable time at the hotel and visiting Cambridge.

I have shared your feedback with the team and we do hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bar Hill
#13 of 36 in Cambridge
The Gonville Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
#2 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Hallmark Hotel Cambridge? Share your experiences!