“A soulless place with grim food, dreadful breakfast and chilly rooms”

Hallmark Hotel Cambridge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
Lot-et-Garonne, France
“A soulless place with grim food, dreadful breakfast and chilly rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. I've not had good experiences in any Menzies hotel but I thought I'd give this one a try.....big mistake!

The high point was check as the receptionists were excellent but I'd struggle to think of anything else positive to say:
1. The bedrooms are very basic and chilly (in ambience, not temperature)
2. The wifi drops out constantly. In the bedrooms and public areas. It's massively annoying. I heard every excuse in the book for why but the bottom line is that the system needs more bandwidth.
3. Dinner was very average and the service poor
4. Breakfast was shocking! The hot plate features congealed hot food. The breads were cheap, orange juice synthetic and coffee tasteless. Very disappointing.

I don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank francophileonthemove
Shaun V, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear francophileonthemove, I was very saddened to see your review of our hotel and I'm sorry you do not seem to like staying in Menzies Hotels. We have lots of great hotels and great people that work tirelessly to offer a very high standard of hospitality and my apologies if you missed any of this on your visits. We also invest in our hotels and in the last 2 years have spent over £6m making them feel like a "home from home", but clearly your expectations are not being met or delivered.

All our rooms have been refurbished and are far from basic and "chilly". They have many designer touches and offer warmth and opulence, I'm sorry if you missed this.

As you can see from our other reviews we get lots of positive feedback about the friendliness, warmth and hospitality of the hotel and generally very positive comments about the food we serve, in particular at breakfast.

WiFi is free and generally we have not had any negative feedback, however you cannot control the number of smart devices and content that many guests now have and use, therefore if we have high demand and guests stream video content or use VPN connections then this will use more bandwidth and ultimately slow down the connection in the hotel. Very common in this day and age and in most hotels that do not have access to Fibre-Optic yet (which is most of the UK).

I wish you well on your continued travels.

Warm regards

Shaun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

we have just come back from a lovely weekend at hotel . I have say the staff were helpful and could not have done more for us if they tried. The breakfasts and dinner were lovely and for the price we paid great value. Its a great location for exploring Cambridge because the local bus is just outside hotel and at £3.90 return is far cheaper than parking. If we return to Cambridge in the near future I would stay here no problem.....

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Shaun V, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear dmlejr, thanks for posting your review and great to read that you enjoyed your weekend with us. I have shared your comments with the team and so nice to hear you found the staff so welcoming and hospitable and enjoyed the food.

We do hope to welcome you again in the future.

Northampton,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just spent a weekend at Bar Hill- 2 nights. From the moment we arrived to when we left everyone we spoke to gave us outstanding customer service and could not do enough for us, Gemma who served us both nights at dinner was polite and delivered excellent customer service, a credit to the resturant manager. Each morning at breakfast Tina greeted us with a happy smile and kept a tight ship in that resturant! The food was to a high standard and no fault could be made. Very clean throughout, rooms spaceious, we didnt get a chance to use the spa/gym but maybe next time!
Great location and as recommended if you go into Cambridge get the bus, right outside the hotel and only £3.90 each return. Very happy to of spent such a happy occassion here.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear clepre, thanks for leaving us your review and I have shared with the team. In particular I will pass on your kind comments to Gemma, Tina and the team in the Brasserie who seemingly did such a sterling job looking after you.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future

Ipswich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Ok..so we arrived on a Friday for the valentines weekend, after booking it a month in advance. We were told at reception we still needed to pay £165. I found an email of my confirmation and presented it to them. At the bottom of the email it said 'BOOKING POLICY: Full pre-payment taken at the time of booking which is non-refundable and non-transferable No cancellation allowed, full cost of stay is charged if cancelled. The card used must be shown on arrival at the hotel for authorisation'. So after reading it the guy at reception said, when you book online it isn't automated and we have to take the payment out at reception. And we kept explaining why didn't our money come out before we arrived?! It explains clearly on the email, you cannot book a room without a full payment? I am a student and I waited to get paid before I booked this hotel.. I assumed it had come out of my account a month ago when I booked it, so I only took £60 for the weekend. in the end my mum had to pay over the phone. For anyone who is thinking about booking I would suggest to book over the phone so the payment comes out straight away otherwise you'll be paying the day you arrive. Moving on.. The 5 course dinner was lovely, the restaurant was decorated for valentines with balloons and rose petals. They had very young waitresses, they didn't seem to have much experience and were a bit slow at some times when clearing plates, but cannot complain about the food. The room itself was very clean. Was a bit disappointed the executive room didn't have a small fridge but we were only there for a night so wasn't a problem. We have stayed at this hotel before, and had no problems last time, was a very disappointing start to a lovely weekend.

1 Thank Ellie D
Epping, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

I had to stay overnight in the Swavesey area and the other hotels in the area looked decidedly poor by comparison in Tripadvisor reviews. The hotel looked pleasant and there was plenty of parking in the secure car park near reception - thankfully as it was raining! The receptionist was friendly and welcoming and pointed out the times of meals and the facilities on offer. I had already eaten so did not take dinner but breakfast the following morning was the standard hotel buffet. I requested soft boiled eggs and these were cooked for me and were perfectly cooked and served promptly. My room was spacious and clean and I enjoyed a good night's sleep. I did not use the pool or gym the facilities looked cleaned and were in use by a number of guests. Altogether positive experience and a good place to stay for business in the Cambridge/Huntingdon area.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are on the ground floor but the higher the room number the further they are from r...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank David E
Shaun V, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear David E, thanks for leaving us your review and I was pleased that you found the hotel suited for your needs. I have shared your comments with the team and we do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel next time you are in the area.

oldham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Booked hotel on a deal including dinner on one night. Stayed her with friends & all four of us had excellent meals just couldn't fault any of it. Breakfast superb as well. Staff friendly and efficient, rooms clean. Good location for city centre - caught the local bus £3.90 return great value - would stay again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank moli07
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stopped here in Feb 2014, booked a weekend getaway deal which included dinner on one night out of the two we stayed. Nice clean and quiet ground floor room with comfy bed and an adequate bathroom. The leisure centre is good with a decent sized pool where you can get a reasonable swim, the sauna is a bit compact if more than 3 people use it you need to be good friends!! steam room also small and quite grubby. The bar area is on the first floor with the restaurant on the ground floor which is a strange layout. Bar prices are average for this kind of hotel , decent selection of drinks on offer so should suit most people, bar staff were friendly and efficient. We ate in the hotel on two evenings, I had onion soup for starter and this was OK ,I chose salmon fillet with new potatoes and salad for main course . It was awful, the salmon had been deep fried as had the potatoes to warm them up ! the salad at least hadn't been fried but had no dressing. For dessert I went for fruit salad as I mistakenly thought they couldn't ruin that . I was wrong...unripe bits of various melon in a tall sundae dish topped with a squirt of synthetic cream. The wife had chicken for her main dish which was so dry it could have been used for blotting paper, for dessert she went for a crème brulee which was in reality a custard made very thickly from custard powder with a bit of sugar blow torched on the top. We should have known better but visited the restaurant a second time in the belief it had to get better and maybe we had chosen badly..........Wrong it got worse when neither of us could eat our main courses , obviously we complained and didn't pay for them. The food including breakfast is Grimm and that's not a fairy tale!!. When we talked to the maître de she told us they had a new chef.....Our view was they just cant cook. This is not what we expect from Menzies having stayed in a number of their properties. So to sum up our view is its a decent hotel if you stay on a room only basis or if they get the food issues sorted out.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear stevesid, thanks for your review and pleased that overall you enjoyed your time with us. I have shared your comments regarding your meal with the Head Chef and his team and please accept my apology if anything was substandard - this is certainly not the norm and we have had some really good feedback recently about our food quality. We don't have a new chef either, but did have to get a temporary chef for a couple of shifts recently as our normal sous chef was unfortunately taken very poorly and has been in intensive care - hopefully now on the road to recovery.

All our food is freshly prepared and we certainly only fry food items advertised as that (not salmon?)

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bar Hill
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#14 of 36 in Cambridge
Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Hallmark Hotel Cambridge? Share your experiences!