“Golf break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Golf break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We recently stayed on a Sunday Saver golf break. Room was quite noisy as very close to a busy road and had to have window open as no air conditioning. Food was reasonable but not particularly good although staff very friendly and accommodating. Hotel looks as though it could do with some freshening up.

1 Thank Anne B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

On the spur of the moment we decided to spend a couple of days in Cambridge and so I went onto LateRooms.com to see what was available. Menzies Cambridge Hotel & Golf Club came up as one of the options at a very reasonable price of £79 for 2 of us on bed and breakfast. All this for a 4* hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful - On the evening, my wife banged here shin and was sitting in the bar applying an ice cube to her shin to stop it swelling. The barman offered her some ice cubes wrapped in a tea towel instead. The hotel manager was passing and noticed this. He was very attentive and offered to get a first aider to attend which we politely declined. The rooms were clean and spacious. The food at dinner was tasty and offered a good selection. Breakfast was a standard buffet but none the less very nice (the sausages were very tasty). We visited the hotel leisure centre in the evening. The pool was large and clean with plenty of relaxation area. The gym was well equipped. The only criticism was that the sauna was not very hot and the steam room was not very steamy. Had it not been for this, then our stay would have been perfect. Don't let it put you off staying here however. I believe that this hotel offers 4* luxury at a reasonable price. I would stay there again if I were in the area.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Our second stay t Menzies Cambridge,excellent customer service nice room, food delicious and a good choice on the menu even with inclusive deals breakfast extensive and pretty much anything extra you want they will make fresh.lovely pool ,gym and jacuzzi ,steam room and sauna .bus stop to Cambridge £3.90 return just outside hotel gates. Must do in Cambridge go for a punt on the river cam either self or guided tour bookable at the tourist i centre, it is a great way to see the historic university buildings very picturesque and a lot of fun if you punt yourself.

Room Tip: Get one near to waves pool for convenience,but watch out for fire door as constantly bangs as people...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Decent room with a nice comfortable bed
I used the gym which was fine
We had a slight problem on check in as reception did not have a note of our reservation but this was soon resolved
We ate in the bar which was very busy due I guess to the England V Scotland game being on TV which made the service a bit slow
I found the meal in the bar not exactly filling as the portions were on the small side
The deserts were limited to say the least therefore we had to request the desert menu from the restaurant which the staff were happy to provide
Overall a decent stay for us on what was a business trip

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank David N
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Was not expecting much given some of the reviews but was pleasantly surprised at how good this hotel was. We stayed on a Summer Break package which was dinner, bed and breakfast. Excellent value for money and best breakfast I have had in a hotel for some time.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Susi750
Northamptonshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

The problem with visiting Cambridge during the summer months is that most of the good hotels require a minimum 2 night wekend stay and we usually only stay for a night and often they charge for parking. I was pleased to see we could do a one night stay at the Menzies Hotel which is about a 5-10 minute drive out of Cambridge city centre just off the A14 - I was even happier when the price came in at under £95 per room for bed & breakfast. Some of the reviews have been mixed but I needn't have worried. The hotel isn't pretty externally but nicely decorated and presented internally Reception staff friendly and helpful andboth check in & check out efficient. Our double room was spacious, well appointed and clean and the bed very comfy. The bathroom too was very cleanand it actually had a decent shower. The bar on the first floor has a nice terrace overlooking the golf course and we had a pleasant drink, albeit overpriced, out here and the bar staff were efficient. Brekfast in the morning offered quite a good variety of hot and cold dishes - pretty much a standard hotel breakfast and since the difference between the Room only price and the B&B price was only £4 it was a no brainer! We will definitely stay at Menzies again next time we visit Cambridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing A14 to minimise any traffic noise - we barely heard the traffic and we had...
1 Thank alicook
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have stayed in similar 4* properties aound the UK, and like those this was a bit of a disappointment. The reason I say this is that I have stayed in some real gems that were also 4* and are far superior. The hotel and the staff were all nice enough, but lacked that something special.
On the positive side, I found the hotel a quite and relaxing place to be, with easy access to Cambridge. The rooms were clean and the property did not seem dated, as stated in other reviews.
I had 3 issues that may make me overlook the Menzies when looking for somewhere to stay. The pool is very nice, but some of the tiles are broken and there are some sharp edges, this is a really minor detail and something I would have overlooked had the hotel not upset me further the following day.
Issue number 2, the restaurant was far to pretentious, and the staff need follow the lead of the man in charge who was really pleasant.
The big issue was this, On checking out we were told we that we had to settle the bill from the restaurant, my wife pulled out her credit card receipt to show that we had already paid. After a discussion between the 2 receptionists they said that we could be on our way. 2 hours later I received a phone call, which I rejected and then another and then another. I was not in a position to answer my phone. I eventually listened to my voicemail which I did not find very polite at all, it was the hotel saying I had left without paying my bill.
I am sure this is down to 1 or 2 individuals not processing the payment properly, however I wouldnt expect this from a 4* hotel. I am also concerned that I am going to receive a bill in the post the meal we have already paid for.

1 Thank Michael H
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#14 of 36 in Cambridge
Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Hallmark Hotel Cambridge? Share your experiences!