“Ok”

Hallmark Hotel Cambridge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Not sure if some of the elements were 4 star such as the bathroom but everyone was really friendly and the location was great. I would definitely stay there again. We were there for cambridge folk festival. It was about 20 min drive there so it was OK.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank housewifelet
Write a ReviewReviews (1,593)

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Having had a negative experience of this hotel last year my husband and I decided to give it another chance and we are glad that we did. It was such a different experience that I might be excused for wondering if it was the same hotel!
We were allocated a lovely room with a most comfortable bed. Whether this was one of the refurbished rooms or a superior room I am not sure, but it was certainly superior in every way to the tired out room of the previous year.
The tarrif we were on was the 2 nights bed and breakfast with one evening meal. We chose to eat in the dining room on our first night and once again our experience couldn't have been more differerent. The menu was vastly improved with a very varied choice and the food itself came promptly, was of an excellent quality and was served by attentive and pleasant staff.
The best thing about our previous stay had been the breakfast and it was no exception this time. There was a very wide choice of cooked or cold breakfasts. We were particularily impressed by the quality of the sausages and bacon and were served by Elizabeth, a most pleasant member of staff who could't do enough for us.
What struck me most this visit was the sheer professionalism of all of the staff we encountered. I'm glad we came back to the Menzies Cambridge Hotel and would certainly recommend it as a welcoming base from which to visit Cambridge and the surrounding area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hili
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 7+ days on a business trip. Throughout the stay the staff was incredibly friendly and attentive and wet well out of their ways to ensure that we had everything our large group would need to work comfortably at the hotel. In particular, the breakfast supervisor Elizabeth Banks took special care to make sure that our days started off on the right foot with plenty of breakfast and coffee. Also, the young French gentleman working at the upstairs Lounge area was incredibly accommodating and attentive in providing us service. I would certainly ask the company I work for to book us here again.

Room Tip: If it will be hot, ask for an air conditioned room ahead of time.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank applejuice22
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in July 2013.

Our room (a standard double) was clean and spacious and the bed very comfortable.

We had a deal that included breakfast both mornings and an evening meal on one night. The breakfast buffet was great with plenty of choice. Even better though was the evening meal. The food was excellent quality and the service was brilliant too.

I really wished I'd taken my tennis gear with me... the tennis courts (free for guests to use) looked great.

Would definitely recommend. Bear in mind though that this hotel is some way out of the city centre.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2013

What this place is, is a worn out resort which is badly in need of renovation. What it isn't, despite its self-described status as "one of the finest 4-star hotels in Cambridge", is a genuine contender for a quality hotel. Here's a clue: How many 4-star hotels have a sign in their rooms telling you that adult movies are shown on your bill as "room service"? And, strictly speaking, its not actually in Cambridge. When we checked in we were told it was 5 miles out of Cambridge. Actually, according to our GPS, it was 9 miles from the centre of Cambridge. This place had worn carpet, signs fading on the walls, a mouldy rubber mat for the bath, cracks in the tile grouting and the decor would barely make it out of the 90s. Breakfast was, at best, average and it has been a while since we stayed in a 4-star hotel that didn't bother putting a tablecloth on its worn, formica table. The only saving grace was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. If you want a week/weekend away at a golf resort with a spa, pool and gym then this might be a reasonable option at the cost. If you're looking for quality hotel accommodation, not so much.

Room Tip: If you have to stay at this "idyllic setting" ask for a room on the other side to the A14...
Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John G
Shaun V, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear John G, I am sorry that you did not like the hotel and clearly as we have just finished a large refurbishment programme at the hotel your comments about being worn out and dated like the 90's I find hard to understand? I’m not sure where your comments about worn carpets and fading signs on the walls have come from as I cannot locate any problems. I have also checked the bathroom and there was a small patch of grout that had started cracking between the tiles which is very minor and I find hard to believe you have raised as an issue. The comment about the bath matt was discolouration and not mould. You will also find that many 4 star hotels in the UK have the same movie system as us and the generic collateral supplied by this company informing you of the charges is there purely for that - to save confusion when you settle your account on check out. We operate a Brasserie style restaurant and therefore don't use table cloths and again this is very common for a UK 4 star hotel to not use table cloths. I cannot find any problem with the quality of the tables we use, but did see that one or two have some small scratches to the tops which is just wear and tear.
I am sorry that your expectations of our hotel were not met and as you mentioned it has been a while since you have stayed in a 4 star hotel of our style. As you can see from the other reviews we get, generally they are all very good.
Distances used from a destination are always “as the crow flies” your GPS must have been taking you the long way to Cambridge which is just over 6 miles to reach the city centre by road.
Regards
Shaun

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Excellent hotel, lovely, friendly, polite and efficient staff. Rooms very clean and comfortable bed. Facilities stocked everyday. Food in lounge and restaurant was lovely and plenty of choice. Lovely location and easy access to Cambridge on public transport. Would definitely highly recommend and I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Welshbird2014
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I couldn't fault the staff, service or the rooms in the hotel. I would definitely recommend it to people. Only two minor glitches- the spa facilities were not up to the same standard as the hotel although the staff and the treatments were superb. Secondly, some areas such as the lounge bar outside area, the pool and treatment rooms are sadly in need of some attention. The hotel rooms themselves were clean, nicely decorated and had lovely finishing touches. Nothing was too much trouble for all of the staff and they always had a smile on their faces! They were professional to the core whilst being extremely aporoachable. Well done Menzies hotel Cambridge. Your staff need to be told how good they are.

• Stayed: July 2013
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 36 in Cambridge
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection

Been to Hallmark Hotel Cambridge? Share your experiences!