“Nice Hotel- Shame about the service!”

Hallmark Hotel Cambridge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel- Shame about the service!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here Wednesday 20th February 2013.
This is a very nice hotel, nicely decorated, light and airy. What lets it down unfortunately is the service. Having ordered a meal in the lounge to allow for watching the football on the big screen the staff were clearly under pressure and unfamiliar with their surroundings.They seemed more concerned with receiving payment in advance of the meal. Constant complaints from other guests over delays to their orders accosted me as I was placing my own order. These complaints were unfortunately justified as a simple French Onion Soup and Cheese Omelette took over 90 minutes to arrive and when it did, like the proverbial buses, my starter and main course arrived at the same time! Worse, they were both cold and had clearly been lying for some time despite me enquiring about my order several times prior to eventually being served. Upon talking to the chap behind the bar who also covered off waitering duties, he confirmed a "series of unfortunate events" meant that the staff on duty this evening were all co-opted in from other areas and not the regulars. This is fine if it was a `one-off' but talking to several other regular customers (all now actively looking for alternative accommodation) this is a regular occurence and there is a major disconnect between the kitchen and front of house.Until this hotel sorts out this issue it will continue to leave residents, exhasperated and disappointed. Such a shame as if the service issues/delays can be addressed, everything else should make staying at this hotel a pleasure!

Room Tip: Eat elsewhere if you dont have three hours to kill!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom K
Shaun V, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear reviewer, thank you for your feedback and firstly please accept my apology for the slow service in the bar on Wednesday. Without making excuses; and your comment was correct about the usual bar staff not being on duty due to sickness, so the bar was manned by staff from a different department albeit they are trained in the bars operation.

We introduced a new menu on monday this week in the Reastaurant which has taken off and proved to be very popular. On Wednesday we had 66 diners all wanting to eat at the same time between 7.30pm and 8.30pm. Usually the Restaurant has a steady flow of diners between 7pm and 9.30pm, but on this occasion and partly due to the Half Term we had many Leisure Guests that wanted to dine earlier from this new menu.

As all the menus are cooked to order, the kitchen was therefore backed up and diners suffered delays until this was cleared. This is certainly not the norm and I do apologise. We do not get many diners ordering 2 or more courses in the bar, the courses were served together and this was an over sight. I'm sorry if the soup was not as hot as you would have liked it when your meal did arrive, I know from speaking with Adam he changed it immediately for you.

Please let me know when you are next here and we would like to treat you to dinner in the Restaurant from the new menu as a goodwill gesture to restore your faith.

Kind regards

Shaun

P.s - I can be contacted via the main reception.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for a weekend with my wife and baby. The pool is excellent, with a great children section and our baby loved paddling in it. We had dinner in the restaurant one night which was good.

On the second night we ate in the bar, which was quite poor. Bar food was expensive and small portions, they had also run out of some of the vegetarian options and I ended up with a dull roll - I wished I'd gone to Tesco down the road for a quarter of the price and twice the quality!

Overall a very clean and welcoming hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The room was lovely large and clean, the bed comfy. However as we were told we would be unable to eat in the restaurant until 9:30 we decided to have the lounge menu in the bar. The food finally arrived at about ten, over an hour and a half after ordering it. If we had been told about this wait, we would have driven back into Cambridge and eaten ther howver alcohol had been consumed before we were informed that the restaurant was busy hence the delay. By the time the food arrived we were hungry and tired enough to eat pretty much anything and it was a good job. My smoked slamon was served with stale bread and without a salad, the ciabatta was so hard you couldn't bite into it and the chips and steak merely luke warm. The television system was slightly baffling and the water pressure in the shower was abysmal and the dial virtually impossible to turn - my shared bathroom at university has a more effective shower. The pool, jacuzzi and sauna were however a lovely way to start the day. The staff were reasonably helpful particularly when one of our reserved rooms couldn't be found and it became clear we had been made to pay for one of the rooms twice.
I'm sure the hotel is normally lovely but this weekend the catering seemed to have bitten off more than they could handle.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank afs349
Shaun V, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear reviewer, thank you for leaving us your feedback and pleased that in general you enjoyed your stay and the hotels facilities and staff. I'm sorry we could not accommodate your dinner time when you wanted it, we do ask at check in if dining is required and I know due to the Valentines packages we had running the restaurant and kitchen was very busy on saturday. Your comments about the bar meals and quality of food have been discussed with our chef and please accept my apology and I do hope we rectified when you made us aware of it at the time.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Regards

Shaun

Travelers are raving about these Bar Hill hotels

Hayfield High Peak
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Menzies in Cambridge excellent. We normally stay in Hilton Hotels. This was much better, more attention to detail. Room spotless.Very spacious. Water and nibbles,bottled water, left in room, excellent quality of shampoo etc., Very comfortable bed. Staff so helpful but not intrusvie.Breakfast very good. Staff in restaurant (especially Jesse) so helpful. Evening dinner superb, except fruit salad desert, a bit sad. I returned it. Was immediately provided with an alternative , plus a free bottle of wine.
I am very fussy about hotels. I like clean and a touch of luxury. I got this at Menzies in Czambridge for a lowe cost. 2 nights for 2 B&B plus dinner on one night for £144. I will return.
If you wish to stay near Cambridge (about 5 miles out parking no problem) stay at The Menzies.
I am not easily impressed. but for what I paid and waht I got I was very impressed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just had a lovely two day break in Cambridge Mensies hotel. Bus right outside hotel every 20 mins into Cambridge. Lovely day exploring returned to excellent complimentary dinner, so delicious such gracious pleasant staff. Lovely warm swimming pool, steam room and spa all at no additional charge even towels provided for swimming pool free! Amazing breakfast... we had a real mini holiday ... we will return! Thank you all Alvin and Christine

• Stayed February 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our second visit to the Barr Hill Menzies and we were not dissapointed. The staff wellcomed us back with open arms and remembered us by name. The facilities are first rate, the rooms comfortable, the food delecious but the jewel in the crown of this hotel are the staff, they really couldn't do enough for us, and we are a demanding group, when you have over 60 delagates at a conference there will always be last min changes and delegate who have special needs. Everything ran like clockwork and the serving staff also helped us spring a special birthday surprise for one of our group.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bath
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Very enjoyable stay. Hotel is well located just off the A14 and unbeknown to me, there is a bus stop just outside to whisk you into Cambridge - avoiding the park n ride (which stops at 8.30pm).

the buses run every 20 mins during the day and every hour during the evening.

Rooms are large and comfortable. Hotel was quiet - lacked a bit of atmosphere - but was not untypical of most 4* business hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#14 of 36 in Cambridge
Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Hallmark Hotel Cambridge? Share your experiences!