We stayed at this hotel from Friday 30th November for two nights.
We were originally checked into room 179. After walking through the building site that is currently half the hotel (refurb under way) that stank of paint and smoke, we arrived at our room.
This is a 4* hotel. The carpet in our room had multiple stains, the bathroom was dingy and had an old fashioned automatic hairdryer thing that looked like it would electrocute us, the walls were scuffed and there's a gap at the bottom of the door that is so big you can see people's feet walking past the room!
After dinner (more to follow) we asked to be upgraded to a better room. Ismael - the recpetionist on duty moved us to room 210 free of charge. This room, although a little more dated, was MUCH nicer, cleaner and better appointed.
HOWEVER. At 12.30am, when my fiancé and I had just about fallen asleep, we heard the door to our room opening, and a man walked in. I shouted out - and he sound startled, apologised and left. I promptly locked and chained the door.
In the morning we checked with the receptionist on duty that our details had been moved to the room we had moved to because somoene had come into our room in the middle of the night.
A chap behind the desk (not in a uniform so presume a manager?) said "oh that was me. The room was shown as vacant on our system at 11.30 last night". He didn't apologise for coming into our room.
I'm not the kind of person who asks for an apology. I shouldn't have to especially when a MEMBER OF STAFF is at fault.
The airconditioning unit in the room was so loud when turned off (sounded like a washing machine draining) that we had to have it on full blast all night in order for it to be quieter than if it were turned off!
Dinner: we were staying at the hotel on a Dinner B&B package and made use of our free evening meal on the first night.
We had our starters, which were fine, and then waited for nearly half an hour before a waitress came over to ask what we were waiting for. "Our main course?!"
We asked for tap water before the meal, and this eventually arrived after asking for a second time, with our main course.
The side dishes were cold, and the steak with chunky chips was actually steak with 4 oversized potato wedges (which were hidden under my steak - and therefore soggy from the steak juice).
I will say that what we paid for the hotel (£180 for 2 nights B&B with one dinner for 2) was fair for the room. However, this is supposed to be a 4* hotel. It is not. It is an adequate 3*.
I won't be staying there again, and would suggest that people think twice about staying if they are after the service and quality that should come with a 4* establishment.
I have contacted the hotel before posting this - and am awaiting their response.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hallmark Hotel Cambriddge is Located right on the A14, just a mile from the M11 and 5 miles northeast from the heart of Cambridge. The hotel has ample parking, a beautiful golf course, 136 comfy bedrooms, flexible meeting rooms and a lovely health club - it has absolutely everything you need for a successful business trip or relaxing short break in Cambridge. A hotel that has it all Free WiFi throughout. Located just 5 miles from Cambridge city centre Plenty of parking - complimentary when booking your stay direct with the hotel. £10 over night charge otherwise. 136 bedrooms including family bedrooms for up to 5 Brasserie, lounge and bar The Cambridgeshire Golf Course - 18-hole 2 tennis courts, indoor swimming pool, fitness suite and treatment rooms Sauna, steam-room, spa bath Ideal wedding venue for up to 180 guests 10 versatile meeting rooms for up to 200 delegates Sky Sports and BT Sport now available in the bar ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hallmark Hotel Cambridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Menzies Cambridge Hotel And Golf Club
- Menzies Hotel Cambridge
- Hallmark Hotel Cambridge Bar Hill, England, UK