“They really look after you here”

Hallmark Hotel Cambridge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bar Hill
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I stay in hotels about 40 weeks per year and have been here in the Menzies Cambridge for 6 weeks now

From the start I was made to feel very welcome, the bar staff are great, so are the restaurant staff lbut the reception team led by Clare are the best

Led by Clare Hos

• Stayed: July 2011
Hotelmgr1, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Mr Fisher - thanks for posting us your review and glad we are making the hotel your "home from home". I will make sure your kind comments are passed to Clare and the reception team.

Regards

There are newer reviews for Hallmark Hotel Cambridge

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Stayed for one night on Saturday arrived at 1 rooms were not ready but check in at 2 reception not over friendly and lacked courtesy headed for the bar for a quick drink and sandwich one young man on his own looking after around 25 people it was like a scene from faulty towers he would be serving phone ring forgot customers in front of him we felt really sorry for him We hadn't seen our room at this stage but it didn't seem to be hosing well ! We attended a wedding so wasn't given our room until we returned at 12 ish it was small a ver small double bed pushed against the wall the bed had no springs left ! I would normally complain but after a long day couldn't be bothered. The room was small hot no air con and people were up and down the corridor all night the noise was unbearable we didn't sleep the tv was from the ark the shower broke but they had installed one that you would use yrs ago to wash your hair and pinned it up the wall dirty grouting in the bathroom and the carpet had seen bettervdays maybe In 1986 ! Very disappointing on a positive the breakfast was good. But def wouldn't stay again premier lodge is better clean big beds fluffy duvets and up to date tv and air cond

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank blingster44

Thank you for leaving us your review and I'm sorry you felt the hotel was not to the 4 star standard. I would always encourage guests to bring any problems to our attention whilst at the hotel so we have a chance to remedy, I'm sorry you did not do this.

I'm sorry you felt the rooms were not very modern, we usually get good feedback about the rooms we have and do have newer rooms with flat screen LCD TV's, but we do have a schedule to upgrade the standard rooms later this year which will include the televison sets.

Glad you enjoyed the breakfast, we take pride in offering the best breakfast in the area. Perhaps you will choose to return to the hotel in the future, if so I would be more than happy to personally oversee your reservation and ensure a warm welcome is had.

Regards

Reviewed August 8, 2011

Good location. Typical hotel chain room although a little more cell like than many - primarily due to poor lighting levels and minimum expenditure on interior design. In response to being asked if we would like a morning paper we orded the Times, cover price on a Saturday £1.50, upon check out on Sunday we were charged £1.90, that's a mark up in excess of 25%, when I politely queried the reason for the mark up I was advised that this was to cover the costs incurred by the hotel in having their newspapers delivered - if this is the case then it is time the hotel renegotiated its contract with the supplier and/or advised guests of the surcharge upon arrival. When will hotels learn to treat customers with repect.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MrD007
Hotelmgr1, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Thank you for leaving us your review and pleased that in general you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel will be undergoing some refurbishment works later this year to modernise those areas you have highlighted and improve lighting levels in some bedrooms.

I appreciate your comment regarding newspaper pricing, but relay that we do not pay the printed price on the newspaper either as demand for Newspapers has dropped in the recent years (since e media) and cost of getting them delivered has clearly increased (fuel and labour). We do however provide complimentary Cambridge News Newspapers should you decide to not order your favourite title through our service.

I do believe that the 40p increase for us to administer ordering you a paper through our supplier, get the papers delivered to the hotel before 7am and personally deliver this to your room represents good value and we have not had any other comments to the contrary. If you were to get your newspaper delivered by the paperboy at home it would cost additional to the price of the newspaper.

I will however discuss your comment with the reception team as for the sake of taking this 40p off your bill, you would have been more satisfied with your stay and probably not felt the need to write this review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

I was staying in Cambridge for business so found the location spot on. Just off the A14. But its also central for holiday makers/visitors. No hassle at reception and staff were pleasant. However, they did not enquire if I had stayed before. So I was left to find the facilities. But really not a great issue.

My room was very nice with plenty of space. I`ve seen a few comments on this page regarding the decor. I`m no Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen so will leave that for others. My priority is that its clean and tidy. And it was!

I just happened to stay on the hottest day of the year. So was a little dissapointed not to have air conditioning or a fan.

The room was swelltering. A little better with the open window. But got broken sleep with the noisy A14 adjacent.

I was looking forward, after a long drive, to a soak in the bath. However, the bathrooms were tiny. Ronnie Corbet would be unable to stretch out in the bath! So I had no chance at 6ft 3!.

Despite a lot of visitors at the hotel, the room service was prompt and the food good and good value for money.

I used the gym, sauna and steam room and all were first class.

Breakfast was good in the nice roomy restaurant.

So I will give it 8/10. They lose a point for the air conditioning and bath.

But I will use again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Dowboy9

Thank you for leaving us your review and I'm pleased you enjoyed your time with us.

We will be undergoing a refurbishment programme commencing later this year which (planning permitting) we aim to fully air condition the rest of the hotel as currently this is only available in the Executive Rooms.

Glad to read you enjoyed the food and service and Waves Health Club and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

This hotel is absolutely fantastic. The staff were very friendly and willing to help. Our room was very spacious and clean. As soon as we checked in, we were greeted by happy, smiling, professional staff and made us feel extremely welcome. The food was delicious and served by fabulous waiting staff, who could not do enough for us. It is a shame we did not spend longer at the hotel, but we will definately be back.The location is perfect and my boyfriend loved the golf course.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank polofox

Thank you for leaving us your review, I have shared your feedback with the team.

Glad to read your boyfriend enjoyed the Golf Course and hopefully we will be able to welcome you back again in the future to enjoy the hotels facilities again.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

I was dealt with extremely politely by hotel staff, particularly in the restaurant, and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are pleasant and quiet and I had the added bonus of air conditioning - great on hot days!
Excelllent breakfast, all tastes catered for and good choice of dinner from the a la carte menu.
A good base for visiting Cambridge City and surrounding areas or just relaxing in the pool.
A bus stop across the road from the hotel straight into Cambridge and stopped outside the hotel on the return trip.
I had a relaxing time and would certainly stay there again. Well Done!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank aceselector
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in August. Hotel is just "OK" but a bit tired and drab in places. The leisure facilties were fine, the golf course looked very smart and neat but that's about it. Ate in the bar (food OK and quick service) and in the restaurant (food OK but service was disastrous). We ate in the restaurant on a Thursday evening and the meal took 2.5 hours. The waiting staff were totally unco-ordinated with each of the staff asking for our orders individually. The waiting time was totally unacceptable and most of the clientele were seen to be complaining. This was Fawlty Towers at its worst. Staff just served tables at random and most diners just sat looking around for a waiter to reappear.

When desserts arrived, after much prompting, one of the dishes was totally forgotten and when queried, we found that the ordered meringue was off the menu because the Chef had run out of egg whites. (Eh?) Pity nobody remembered to tell us about that when ordering.

Breakfast the next morning had plenty of eggs available so presumably a mass egg-laying took place overnight....

Rooms were OK and no noise issues thankfully, we were overlooking the car park and A14 but no serious noise issues to worry about.

Hotel is dog-friendly and nice walks are to be had nearby.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank NickKeo

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and leaving your review. I'm pleased that in general you had a good stay and liked the hotel and sorry to read of the poor service at dinner on the Thursday night.

I know the restaurant was very busy this evening with most guests choosing to dine at the same time as the large group we had staying, this is no excuse, but did slow down service somewhat as the team were put under additional pressure.

I have discussed your feedback with the team who were on duty and they send their apology that service was not as smooth as usual. I assure you that generally we get very good feedback from the diners that use the Brasserie, especially in relation to the food quality and friendly service provided.

I note your comment about the Eton Mess dessert being unavailable due to running out of meringue. I'm sorry this was not informed at the time of order. Unfortunately meringue is not an item that can be made quickly if we had of popped to the shop to buy some more eggs, as it needs time to rest and dry out in the oven following the cooking process.

To note we do get our delivery of fresh produce and dairy (which includes trays of eggs) at approximately 5am each morning, which is why eggs were plentiful the next day at breakfast.

Should you wish to return to stay again, I'd ask that you contact me directly at the hotel so I can ensure we make amends for the sub standard service at dinner on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bar Hill
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
The Gonville Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
#2 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Hallmark Hotel Cambridge? Share your experiences!