“Amazing!”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great day with the sea lions. We booked with a company called Adventures within Reach a company that states on their website that they have english speaking guides. This was not the case.They set us up with a tour that only speaks spanish and we did not know any spanish :(. Also, they were 2 hours late in picking us up. Despite the frustration of the language barrier and the time mix up it was a great day. They offer pills for sea sickness and it is recommended you take them. The boat ride is very rocky. One lady decided not to take the pills, but then ended up taking one later as she became very sick. It is said that 8,000 sea lions inhabit the Palomino Islands. The water is cold and the smell is potent, but the experience is amazing!

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Heatherob

San Juan de Lurigancho, Peru
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Swim with Sea Lions in the Wild!”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

To be honest, I arrived out there not knowing anything about the sea lions (lobos de mar). We circled around the big island of San Lorenzo and then around the Guano Islands, where aviary guano is collected to be sold as fertilizer. Near the Palomino Islands, I saw what looked to be just a pile of gray rocks, but as we approached, the rocks began to move. A swimmer dove off the back of the boat and swam up next to the frenzied crowd of gray beasts, and I said to myself, Now this I want to do! Not 30 seconds later, a young man tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to come below deck. There were lockers of wetsuits and flippers. I couldn't imagine doing this, but I tore off my clothes and put on a giant wet suit, and within moments I was jumping off the aft with a life preserver into the frothy swell, and heading alone with guide toward the island of rocks and its hefty inhabitants. They came off in a multitude to see me. I could feel my flippers touching their bodies; the cute smiles with whiskers became ferocious, gnashing teeth up close. These animals left me alone. I did what the guide motioned me to do and no more. There were literally hundreds of them, maybe more. I want to go back and do it again!

Visited January 2012