“Cenotes with William Lawson tours” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Cuzama
Carrollton, Texas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Cenotes with William Lawson tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I had read nothing but positive reviews for William Lawson and I was not disappointed. The communication before the trip was only the beginning of the amazing service we received. We knew exactly where to meet after we took the shuttle into town, and we were off on our adventure in no time at all. Even though all of my communication was with Ralf, Saul was our driver for the day. He was AWESOME! The best thing about having a personal driver is the personal attention and the ability to customize your trip. They let you decide where to go and how long to stay. You are never rushed from place to place, and Saul was so happy to share his culture and favorite taco stand with us.... YUM!
We chose to visit the Cenotes and the were breathtaking. Our 2 boys are still talking about how cool it was to swim in the caves.
A special thank you to Saul for making us feel like family and to Ralf who insisted on meeting us at the end of our trip. It was a perfect day for our family and if we make it back to Progresso, William Lawson tours will be my first call.

Visited July 2012
4 Thank nixmomntx

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Waukesha, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great time in Merida”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We booked our tour through William Lawson Tours. It was just wonderful. Our tour guide Ralf took us to a quaint village for lunch and even gave us a taxt ride on a motorcyle. Very fun. After lunch we went to four cenotes. The water is very refreshing. Ralf knows his way around the area and knows the people at the different cenotes. We also stopped in another village for some delicious chicken. Again, Ralf knew where to go to find the hidden treasures of the area.
Once back in Merida, we went to Kukis by Maru. The cookies and other bake good are so very tasty.
I give William Lawson Tours two thumbs up and a five star rating. If you use William Lawson you will not be disappointed.

Janet

Visited June 2012
1 Thank janet c
Dallas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Cenotes - William Lawson's Yucatan Excursions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

One of our two stops, while on the the Carnival Triumph, was in Progreso. We made a visit to Cozumel the following day. The excursion we booked in Progreso was through William Lawson's excursion company and it was just phenomenal! I'd recommend it to anyone. We were picked up at the port by Saul, our tour guide, and then embarked on a 1.5 hour drive, passing through Merida. In Acanceh...we ate the tastiest carnitas tacos ever and snapped a picture of a Mayan pyramid in the city center. We saw this beautiful Gothic church in Eknakan and then made our way to Cuzama, where the cenotes are located. If you've never visited a cenote...you must. We hit two of the three, due to time constraints. The first cenote is named Chelentun and has the most beautiful, clear blue water you've ever seen. The second cenote is named Chacsinic'che and was just as breathtaking. The kids enjoyed snorkeling and launching off the dock into the crystal water. The trip to and from the cenotes (once we'd parked in an area where many of the locals hang out and where several tour guides were waiting for business) was unlike anything I've ever done. All 7 of us (including driver and Saul) were seated on this small covered cart and pulled through the jungle by a horse along/on rails. The rail setup was essentially a small train track that is designed for this type of cart and horse travel through the area. Our guide, Saul, was great and took pictures for us throughout the trip. This company provides the transportation, towels, snorkeling gear, drinks/snack and the expertise necessary for a memorable vacation experience...give it a shot!

Visited July 2012
4 Thank Colton W
Panama
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Horse Railway Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I made a day of it out of Merida, with a driver and car as wanted to get a lot in. Started at a Haceinda first, then Uxmal which is fabulous and much nicer in terms of experience than Chitzen itza, then Kabah nearby which has some nice carvings, then Museo de Cocoa and chak ceremony, then late lunch and then the 3 Cenotes at Cuzama. The horse drawan railway is a treat, other reviews cover things well. I went late in day so not many people and I was only person in 2 of the cenotes. Take some swimming goggles, useful for seeing the fish and bottom. Take care as stairs and ladders can be a bit slippery and last one is vertical down a hole. Storm on way back which made the train trip more dramatic. its only one way so they have to take carriages on and off, whihc is part of experience. Horses seemed well treated when I was there. People were friendly. Recommend it for sure.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank ChimDingo
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Fantastic day trip from Merida”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

This goes on my top 10 list of coolest things I've ever done! If you read the other reviews they are all pretty accurate.The Cenotes are a short drive from Merida, the drive might seem daunting but its really not. A couple of the guys did speak some English. We didn't witness any PETA notification worthy animal abuse, quite to the contrary. These animals are the locomotive means of these men's income; they all seemed well treated.
About the trip, I will note that there are a few things I would do differently next time, and there will be a next time! I would take as few belongings as absolutely needed, we had too much crap with us! I'm always torn between wanting lots of pictures to remember a trip, and not wanting to be laden down with all the peraphernalia. You need a pretty good camera to get good pictures in the cenotes because they are fairly dark. So most point and shoot flash cameras are not going to give you those pictures that you see.
We went in May, the temperature was quite high, so plan on being very hot between Cenotes. As rudementary as the little carts look they are really not bad to ride in. They have a canopy top to protect from the sun, and springs to absorb some of the shock from the rickety train track. There are no brakes no safety mechanisms, its just the cart the horse and gravity. On the down hill the little horse is basically running from the cart that it just pulled up the hill (it was the only time I felt bad for the horse, you could see it looking back out of the corner of its eye like "holy ----!".
The Cenotes are too beautiful for words or pictures to convey! The water temp is so lovely, and aside from little fish, as another reviewer put it, remarkably "free of critters". Even though its been said, it bears repeating, there are FEW safety measures in the cenotes. Be very careful, its dark, ladders and steps are wet, and rocks are mossy. It would be quite easy to injure yourself and you are many remote miles from any medical help. I emphasize this while nursing a sore butt and heel and elbow, I slipped on the steps down into the last Cenote. It was my fault I was marvelling at the beauty rather than noting the uneveness of the steps, I opted for the quick way down to the Cenote platform! I don't recommend. I'm an active young(ish) guy, usually adept at walking; so just be careful. And ENJOY, it is so worth the trip to these amazing natural beauties.

Visited May 2012